Steinway Lo-V Transfer Question

In 1942, the track connection between the IRT Queens system and the main subway system closed. But then in 1950, all Steinway Lo-Vs were transferred onto the main subway. If there was no longer a connection between the 2 systems, how did the cars move from one to the other? Was it via the BMT? But did the BMT connect to the main portion of the IRT at the time? Maybe it was via the BMT and the railroad network? Did the main IRT have a connection to the railroad network at the time? I need this information for a history video I'm making.

Thanks,

TrainRider Railfan

1 hour ago, TrainRider Railfan said:

In 1942, the track connection between the IRT Queens system and the main subway system closed. But then in 1950, all Steinway Lo-Vs were transferred onto the main subway. If there was no longer a connection between the 2 systems, how did the cars move from one to the other? Was it via the BMT? But did the BMT connect to the main portion of the IRT at the time? Maybe it was via the BMT and the railroad network? Did the main IRT have a connection to the railroad network at the time? I need this information for a history video I'm making.

Thanks,

TrainRider Railfan

Not sure if I understand your question. I’ve personally made a transfer from Corona Yard to ENY Yard. Corona to Vernon-Jackson s/b. Take the switch back north to Beebe on the Astoria. Take the switch and proceed south on the BMT through the Montague tunnel to Court St. . Head back north and take the Nassau loop lineup to the Willy B and proceed to Eastern Parkway. Cake baked. Same procedure can be done today. Carry on.

1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Not sure if I understand your question. I’ve personally made a transfer from Corona Yard to ENY Yard. Corona to Vernon-Jackson s/b. Take the switch back north to Beebe on the Astoria. Take the switch and proceed south on the BMT through the Montague tunnel to Court St. . Head back north and take the Nassau loop lineup to the Willy B and proceed to Eastern Parkway. Cake baked. Same procedure can be done today. Carry on.

Yes, that allows to go from the Flushing Line to the BMT, but from the BMT, how could you get back onto the main IRT?

1 minute ago, TrainRider Railfan said:

Yes, that allows to go from the Flushing Line to the BMT, but from the BMT, how could you get back onto the main IRT?

From what I’ve told you about the Montague tunnel just continue southbound past Dekalb to the Fourth Avenue or Brighton lines. Change ends at the first opportunity and proceed northbound via the IND to Concourse Yard or 207th St Yard and connect with the IRT there..

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

From what I’ve told you about the Montague tunnel just continue southbound past Dekalb to the Fourth Avenue or Brighton lines. Change ends at the first opportunity and proceed northbound via the IND to Concourse Yard or 207th St Yard and connect with the IRT there..

Remember, this is before the Chrystie Street Connection in the late 60s and before the first 2 IND-BMT connections in 1954, so as far as I know there was no connection between the BMT and IND at the time.

4 hours ago, TrainRider Railfan said:

Remember, this is before the Chrystie Street Connection in the late 60s and before the first 2 IND-BMT connections in 1954, so as far as I know there was no connection between the BMT and IND at the time.

I’m figuring this was done by the railroad connections at New Lots on the Canarsie line and the Unionport railroad connection adjacent to the IRT at East 180th St. I know that cars that were delivered to the original Dyre line came through Unionport and scrap cars left that way before the connection was severed up there. Just my take. Carry on.

7 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m figuring this was done by the railroad connections at New Lots on the Canarsie line and the Unionport railroad connection adjacent to the IRT at East 180th St. I know that cars that were delivered to the original Dyre line came through Unionport and scrap cars left that way before the connection was severed up there. Just my take. Carry on.

Thanks! I didn’t know about that connection at the time but that makes sense! Pretty crazy to think just how complex that transfer would be. I’ll put this in the script and if I find any proof later I’ll include that. Appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...