Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

BenTheMiner's Signs Galore!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

One question... are the interior LED signs on the R142/R142A/R188 the same in terms of the "dot spacing" and the fonts themselves? And the R143/R160/R179 as well? To me they are, but you might know better.

No; they're all different, besides the R142A and R188 which are the same because the R188 was converted from the R142A. My R143, R160, and R179 overhead fonts are available if you'd like to compare them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the fonts you provided, there are some slight differences between the fonts of the R143/160/179, but most are the same.

Are you able to provide the exact "dimensions: for most of the NTT LED signs? This is what I remember from back in the day:

R142/A/188 Interior: 200 -> 16 v (could be 210, not sure)

R143/160: 200 -> 13 v (not counting the unused bottom portion)

R143 Ext: 108 ->, 8 v

R160 Ext: 108 -> 9 v

Before the R179 debuted, I extended the R160 exterior sign to 170 x 9, hehe.

PS: For the MAX Scroll effect, use Jasc animation shop 3, it's FANTASTIC.

Edited by IRT Bronx Express
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

Based on the fonts you provided, there are some slight differences between the fonts of the R143/160/179, but most are the same.

Are you able to provide the exact "dimensions: for most of the NTT LED signs? This is what I remember from back in the day:

R142/A/188 Interior: 200 -> 16 v (could be 210, not sure)

R143/160: 200 -> 13 v (not counting the unused bottom portion)

R143 Ext: 108 ->, 8 v

R160 Ext: 108 -> 9 v

Before the R179 debuted, I extended the R160 exterior sign to 170 x 9, hehe.

PS: For the MAX Scroll effect, use Jasc animation shop 3, it's FANTASTIC.

So far, I've only recreated the R179 overhead which I already provided in my original post. I haven't gotten a reference for the R160 and I haven't counted the dots on the other overheads yet. I also provided my R160 and R179 exterior sign. Here are the signs I've currently created.

unknown.png

SideTempR143.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by BenTheMiner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 10:51 PM, IRT Bronx Express said:

PS: For the MAX Scroll effect, use Jasc animation shop 3, it's FANTASTIC.

I've installed this Jasc Animation Shop 3 software. Of course, I have no idea how to use it since you didn't tell me, lol. Please tell me how to use it so I may make animated flipdot signs for others!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 11:10 AM, BenTheMiner said:

So far, I've only recreated the R179 overhead which I already provided in my original post. I haven't gotten a reference for the R160 and I haven't counted the dots on the other overheads yet. I also provided my R160 and R179 exterior sign. Here are the signs I've currently created.

/images

Thanks for the references. I'm finished remastering/polishing/etc my existing work and will be ready to make a new thread. That is, once I finish creating "display" signs hehe.

39 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

I've installed this Jasc Animation Shop 3 software. Of course, I have no idea how to use it since you didn't tell me, lol. Please tell me how to use it so I may make animated flipdot signs for others!

Whoops! lol

1. File -> New

2. Correct width and height to your liking. Don't worry about the canvas color.

EDIT: I would resize the individual frames first. Attempting to resize later on after the fact will eliminate the scroll transition.

3. This is very important. This is where you'll have to insert each frame -twice!- On the "Animation1 [1:2] - Frames" window, within the white/grayed "checkers" box area, right click - > Insert frames -> From file -> Add file -> Select all individual frames -> Open -> Ok

4. I'm using two frames, but remember that even though the number varies, the results will always be the same. Select the first frame -> Frame properties -> 120 (for 2 seconds) or 180 (3 seconds). Repeat until you update all frame properties.

5. Select the second frame -> Insert frame -> From file -> Add file -> Select the first frame again -> Open -> Ok

6. Select the duplicate first frame -> Frame properties -> 20

7. Repeat this as many times as you can until you reach the last frame. Select the "checkered" box again -> Insert frame -> From file -> Add file -> Select the first frame again -> Open -> Ok

6. Select the second duplicated first frame -> Frame properties -> 1

7. Select the checkered box and delete. Keeping that would count as a frame by default. And this will allow the animation to loop back to the beginning.

8. Select all duplicate frames that read "20" -> Effects -> Image transition -> Wipe -> Customize -> Make sure the wipe direction goes from left to right, everything else doesn't need to be selected. -> The define transition is for you to mess around to your liking. That is why you need the duplicate frames in place. Without them, you can't slow down or speed up the transition properly.

9. View the animation and make sure it's perfect.

10. Save as -> Name it whatever and save it wherever (lol) -> Make sure better image quality is always your top priority over smaller file size -> Click NEXT many times until you're prompted to click on FINISH. And voila!

Edited by IRT Bronx Express
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

Thanks for the references. I'm finished remastering/polishing/etc my existing work and will be ready to make a new thread. That is, once I finish creating "display" signs hehe.

Whoops! lol

1. File -> New

2. Correct width and height to your liking. Don't worry about the canvas color.

3. This is very important. This is where you'll have to insert each frame -twice!- On the "Animation1 [1:2] - Frames" window, within the white/grayed "checkers" box area, right click - > Insert frames -> From file -> Add file -> Select all individual frames -> Open -> Ok

4. I'm using two frames, but remember that even though the number varies, the results will always be the same. Select the first frame -> Frame properties -> 120 (for 2 seconds) or 180 (3 seconds). Repeat until you update all frame properties.

5. Select the second frame -> Insert frame -> From file -> Add file -> Select the first frame again -> Open -> Ok

6. Select the duplicate first frame -> Frame properties -> 20

7. Repeat this as many times as you can until you reach the last frame. Select the "checkered" box again -> Insert frame -> From file -> Add file -> Select the first frame again -> Open -> Ok

6. Select the second duplicated first frame -> Frame properties -> 1

7. Select the checkered box and delete. Keeping that would count as a frame by default. And this will allow the animation to loop back to the beginning.

8. Select all duplicate frames that read "20" -> Effects -> Image transition -> Wipe -> Customize -> Make sure the wipe direction goes from left to right, everything else doesn't need to be selected. -> The define transition is for you to mess around to your liking. That is why you need the duplicate frames in place. Without them, you can't slow down or speed up the transition properly.

9. View the animation and make sure it's perfect.

10. Save as -> Name it whatever and save it wherever (lol) -> Make sure better image quality is always your top priority over smaller file size -> Click NEXT many times until you're prompted to click on FINISH. And voila!

I don't think this animates it properly, unless I'm not understanding your directions properly. Flipdot GIFs should scroll by the dot, however this type of scroll animation cuts the dots. People have stated that you would need Adobe Illustrate to animate it properly, but it has a recurring payment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

I don't think this animates it properly, unless I'm not understanding your directions properly. Flipdot GIFs should scroll by the dot, however this type of scroll animation cuts the dots. People have stated that you would need Adobe Illustrate to animate it properly, but it has a recurring payment.

Yeah, there's no real way to scroll by the dot, sadly. At least, not with the software. RTS might fill you in with Adobe, but he'll recommend you to buy it if you plan to take your project seriously (and it looks like you will)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IRT Bronx Express said:

Yeah, there's no real way to scroll by the dot, sadly. At least, not with the software. RTS might fill you in with Adobe, but he'll recommend you to buy it if you plan to take your project seriously (and it looks like you will)

I would be able to get the Adobe products if it was just a one-time payment and not a recurring payment. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I'll just focus on other things until I get new information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Harry pinned and featured this topic

I've found an easy way to create signs with backgrounds in paint! However, it seems the outline is not perfect. I'll take requests for these if the outline problem is not minded.

unknown.png

Edited by BenTheMiner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 12:55 AM, YankeesPwnMets said:

Hey, if you're still taking requests, my signature could use a change lol. 142A interior please:

(4) WOODLAWN

(4) THE NEXT STOP IS

(4) BEDFORD PK BLVD

(4) 7:40 AM

Thanks!

 

I am taking requests, however I am not able to take IRT overhead requests yet as I have not made my own templates nor fonts, and I don't have sufficient references for these either. I apologize for the inconvenience!

I can use the same original overhead font that was used in older overhead signs made by others if you'd like that though. No dot background, though.

Edited by BenTheMiner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

We don't even see the R143 overhead or R160 overhead, or even the R179 exterior, so they're not ready for use yet... the time will tell when they're ready.

If you're talking about my signs, I haven't gotten a proper reference for those overheads yet. I've made the R179 exterior LED, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

Let's try:

R179 Exterior:

(F) JAMAICA-179 ST

(F) 6 AV LOCAL/63 ST

(F) QUEENS BLVD EXP

R179 Overhead:

(F) TO JAMAICA-179 ST

(F) THE NEXT STOP IS

(F) FORT HAMILTON PKWY

(F) 6:43 AM

Here you go!
ezgif-2-93fd1875e1c8.gif

ezgif-2-3ef89f87866a.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

This is also a reminder to you and other train fans on nyctransitforums.com:

This year will mark the R143's 20th Anniversary! That's right! It's been almost 20 years since the R143's ran on the MTA.

Happy early birthday to the R143!
Untitled.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.