BenTheMiner's Signs Galore!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I just wanted to inform you on the comparisons I gave you. Now that I compared the overheads and exteriors, this shouldn't be much of a problem to explain how different the textures based on the side exteriors, since the R179 was wider than the other 2.

Edited by K Train 8 Av-Fulton

Just now, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

Yes. I just wanted to inform you on the comparisons I gave you.

Okay, let me respond.

5 hours ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

Also, the side exterior of the R179 is wider than those on R143/R160, since both the R143 and R160 share the same side exterior, but different displays.

Yes, the R179 side destination is longer than the R143 and R160. A key example of this is the fact that it can display the full "CENTRAL PARK WEST LOCAL" on the M train via CPW programs while the R160 only displays "CENTRAL PARK WEST".

However, you should not say that the R143 and R160 share the same side sign, as they do not. Both the R143 side route and destination are shorter by one pixel. The destination is also just a bit shorter than the R160.

21 hours ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

To compare the overheads, the R143 has a white overhead, the R160 and R179 have black overheads.

Correct, although all three overheads have different fonts. It is possible that the R143 overhead is the same as the R142A overhead but with a different font as the LED dot is shaped like a square on both signs, the overhead panel looks similar, and the R142A overhead font has been spotted on the R143 which would be a bug that could not have happened, or a font that was supposedly added on the R143 Siemens.

R179 Exterior:

(Q) CONEY ISLAND

(Q) BROADWAY EXPRESS

(Q) BRIGHTON LOCAL

R179 Overhead:

(Q) TO CONEY ISLAND

(Q) THE NEXT STOP IS

(Q) AVENUE M

(Q) 12:35 PM

R143 Exterior:

(Z) JAMAICA CENTER

(Z) JAMAICA EXPRESS

(Z) SKIP-STOP

R143 Overhead:

(Z) TO JAMAICA CENTER

(Z) THE NEXT STOP IS

(Z) DELANCEY-ESSEX STS

(Z) 5:16 PM

On 4/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, BenTheMiner said:

Welcome to my sign and sign font recreation thread! I've decided to create my own after seeing that there haven't really been any active sign recreation request threads.
As an overenthusiastic sign nerd, I have been studying all types of signs, including rollsign, flipdot, LCD, and LED signs found on both buses and trains, as well as the types of bus signs, and also station signs!
Consequently, I have also learned to recreate many of these signs and fonts, which I will be sharing and also taking requests for.

Current Recreations:
-Luminator Flipdot (no slide transition animation)
-Luminator Horizon LED
-Luminator Titan LED (some fonts missing)
-Hanover Displays LED
-R46 LCD exterior (also known as Luminator)
-R68 rollsign interior
-R160 LED exterior (for exterior K, P, and T routes, characters may be used from the R179)
-R179 LED exterior+interior (exterior K, P, and T route characters available)
-Most station signs

Planned Recreations:
-Redbird/Brightliner rollsign
-R40/R42 rollsign
-R62/A rollsign
-R142 LCD exterior
-R142 LED interior
-R142A LCD exterior
-R142A LED interior
-IRT NTT LED exterior (R142, R188)
-R188 LED interior
-R143 LED exterior+interior
-R160 LED interior

My extensive collection of MTA bus and subway signs (bus signs are currently not being updated): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9cQ8mAmp78AtavgXt4lAu5ey7Uimp2sEKNHuoY0nQU
Full list of my fonts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e4nNlpRJTOTGR7SLSzbmKmvqlEFX2CXbKhJ4B0sxkl0/edit?usp=sharing
Download my fonts on FontStruct: https://fontstruct.com/fontstructors/1466679/bentheminer

If you would like to request any signs or ask for any information about signs, feel free to do so (though I'm not saying I know absolutely everything there is to know about signs). Note that unfortunately, if you are making a sign request, I will be unable to provide you with characters that the MTA does not use (i.e. R160 Y train). You can see which characters I am able and unable to use by looking at my font collection. When making a request, feel free to provide a reference photo if you're requesting a real sign.
If you plan on using any of these signs, I would appreciate it if you gave credit to me, and please do not steal credit! I've been working very hard to be able to make these signs and I'd like at least your gratitude in return.
Also, despite all the fonts I'm making, many are actually incomplete. If you have any sign references that could help me complete these fonts, please post them!

I'll keep trying to check this thread daily!

Here are some examples of my sign recreations:

unknown.png

I love all your sign.

If possible can do this style with:

Hampton Jitney Montaunk Line

Montauk via Airport Connections

Yorkville-3rd Av E 96th St.

5 hours ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

BY the way, are reroutes also necessary around here?

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, FamousNYLover said:

I love all your sign.

Hampton Jitney Montaunk Line

I'm not sure what this means. What type of sign is this supposed to be?

1 hour ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

He's a bit busy right now... maybe come back later when he's on, okay?

Well, you posted your request at 4 AM for me, so I don't think you should be saying that... Anyways, I'll take any requests I can.

Edited by BenTheMiner

7 hours ago, K Train 8 Av-Fulton said:

R179 Exterior:

R179 Overhead:

R143 Exterior:

R143 Overhead:

Note to everyone for future requests: the R143 side sign wasn't supposed to be available as I haven't completed the fonts yet, but I'll take R143 side sign requests as long as it doesn't involve a character that is missing from my font.

Here are the requested signs, in order:
ezgif-4-3b6aad4a4c53.gif

ezgif-4-1af648f3b59c.gif

ezgif-4-340d855427b7.gif

ezgif-4-5dc466a1b587.gif

This was pretty fun to make. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

I love all your sign.

Hampton Jitney

Montaunk Line

If it doesn't fit, you can do HJML

2 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

What do you mean?

unknown.png

I'm not sure what this means. What type of sign is this supposed to be?

Well, you posted your request at 4 AM for me, so I don't think you should be saying that... Anyways, I'll take any requests I can.

I meant in your Bx12 SBS style sign.

unknown.png

I didn't sent rquest 4am.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Sadly, not all other routes use R143 because of missing characters on the displays...

The (J) , (L) , (M) and (Z) ran them, some were signed as (S) Shuttle... but they've rarely been on the (C) since the (C) used R160s and R179s often, and back then it used R110B, but I don't think I was able to upload the R110B Side and/or overhead for it, so the R110B displays are not available unless I upload those first.