Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Governor Fear-Mongers about the Subway

29 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Of course it should be used as a benchmark; you expect people to just block that entire 25-year period out of their collective memories and act like the sky is falling everytime somebody gets stabbed on a train in a city of 9 million people? I'm no fan of deBlasio and the NYPD's incompetence, but the media spreading panic is not exactly helping things, either.

Violent crime has and sadly will always occur on NYCT, but this isn't just a robbery here or stabbing there. A violent crime increase of 25% against the backdrop of less than half the amount of regular ridership is going to make people genuinely feel that their odds of being victimized much greater.

Second, at it's core it's like a kid coming home with a C versus getting an F. Sure, it's better and if I was a parent I would see it as such, but is it good? It's mediocre. Plus, as humans we compare things to what we know. I could use crime stats from the 1920s or 1940s but honestly they're of zero relevance. A good chuck of this message board was not born in 1985 which includes yours truly, so to us things are truly "worse".

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Show me actual statistics that demonstrate crime in the subway is as high now as it was in, say 1985 or 1990, and I'll believe you.  Otherwise, posting a string of sensationalist local news stories doesn't really count for much of anything.

Of course it should be used as a benchmark; you expect people to just block that entire 25-year period out of their collective memories and act like the sky is falling everytime somebody gets stabbed on a train in a city of 9 million people? I'm no fan of deBlasio and the NYPD's incompetence, but the media spreading panic is not exactly helping things, either.

LOL So in other words, if the sky isn't falling that means everything is ok? That's comical. It's already been noted that subway ridership is down over 50%, so if the numbers were as high as say 1985 or 1990, we'd have a serious problem.  You can't just look at the crime numbers because they don't tell the whole story. What riders are saying is when they are menaced by mentally unstable people, they may not be attacked, but they are threatened. That doesn't get reported as a crime though, just like when I saw a guy that was being shoved on the Grand Central platform by a mentally unstable guy who was just minding his business. No crime per se, but I'm sure they guy did not feel safe. 

Violent crimes are definitely up though. We're seeing more slashings, stabbings, and platform pushings. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would think there's nothing wrong with that. That shows that we have more mentally unstable people in the system not getting help and that you can be minding your own business more times than not and still get attacked. We've had a good nine random attacks over the last 2-3 days alone in the subway, not including the screwdriver stabbing and other attacks, but that's ok because the crime numbers aren't as bad as 25 years ago. Smh

I took the (1) train twice on Wednesday. Second time around there was clearly a mentally unstable guy pacing the platform. No crime committed... Did people feel unsafe? Yup... So the question wasn't is crime sky high in the subway. The question was how people FEEL and what is causing them to feel unsafe... At the end of the day if you don't address the mentally ill population, you will see this remain a problem, and it is definitely not fear mongering. We have a mentally ill crisis below ground, as we do above ground. Above ground, shootings are skyrocketing. In fact the situation is so bad that now even the "Progressive" candidates are talking about crime. Shootings are up over 50% compared to last year. LOL In any case, as long as you feel safe and @MHV9218 and @GojiMet86 that means all is well. LOL

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

The NYC Subway in the 1970s and 1980s should not be used as a benchmark to say "Things are not bad". That's like saying because less people die of TB or Cholera now than in 1900 we shouldn't take public health seriously. 

Another thing to consider is that the NYC subway was a perfectly clean, respectable means of mass transit from it's inception to about 1970 when the wheels came off. What people like VG8 are saying is that the conditions of the 70s and 80s didn't happen overnight. It was a year by year increase in disorder and violence thru the 1950s and 1960s that culminated in the "The Warriors" style system that it became by 75' or so. If we don't get a handle on things now, we can't be smugly assured things won't slide back down. Even during Guiliani I remember the windows being unusable due to scratchiti. It took the TA a long time and a lot of work to get the system back to what it has been during the late 90s thru mid 2010s. 

I was a kid in the early 90s. I would ride with my father and the trains were terrible and I definitely did not feel safe. By the mid to late 90s, that's when I started taking the subway regularly as a teen and it felt safe then, but you are 100% correct. It's also ridiculous to compare crime rates then when the City was almost bankrupt in the 70s and 80s, so they had a legitimate excuse for the system to be a mess because the City was BROKE. The City is not nearly in the same shape financially as it was before, so what we are seeing now is definitely not ok. 

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was a kid in the early 90s. I would ride with my father and the trains were terrible and I definitely did not feel safe. By the mid to late 90s, that's when I started taking the subway regularly as a teen and it felt safe then, but you are 100% correct. It's also ridiculous to compare crime rates then when the City was almost bankrupt in the 70s and 80s, so they had a legitimate excuse for the system to be a mess because the City was BROKE. The City is not nearly in the same shape financially as it was before, so what we are seeing now is definitely not ok. 

Yo, what the f**k? I wasn't even in this conversation. Do you want to be starting something, Vito? I never f**king tag you.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yo, what the f**k? I wasn't even in this conversation. Do you want to be starting something, Vito? I never f**king tag you.

Please. Like you don't agree... You reacted to every post that claims people are fear mongering... Passive aggressive. LOL

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Please. Like you don't agree... You reacted to every post that claims people are fear mongering... Passive aggressive. LOL

Fuc k off,  Vittorio Bughatti.

Do you not have better shit to do?

Edited by GojiMet86
  • LMAO! 2

Just now, GojiMet86 said:

Fuc k off,  Vittorio Bugatti.

A real winner Goji... You ever wanna meet in person, let me know. Believe me, the feelings are mutual. I know you can stand me because of my background and I haven't forgotten it either.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A real winner Goji... You ever wanna meet in person, let me know. Believe me, the feelings are mutual. I know you can stand me because of my background and I haven't forgotten it either.

Or maybe I was refering to making me post on this thread?

Like that sort of "Do you want to be starting something", not the capo-style shit?

2 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Or maybe I was refering to making me post on this thread?

Like that sort of "Do you want to be starting something", not the capo-style shit?

Uh huh... Anyway, you agree. Why be passive aggressive. Like you've ever shied away from your opinions... 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Uh huh... Anyway, you agree. Why be passive aggressive. Like you've ever shied away from your opinions... 

I'm not the one who intentionally tagged a member who was not part of the conversation. Are you going to bring in everyone who just upvotes a comment you don't agree with?

Edited by GojiMet86

2 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

I'm not the one who intentionally tagged a member who was not part of the conversation. Are you going to bring in everyone who just upvotes a comment you don't agree with?

Like I said passive aggressive... No, I brought you in because you know what you're up to. You're got an axe to grind with me, but don't have the balls to directly confront me, so you play this BS game. If you want to talk about group rules, group rules state that we don't use people's name, but never mind that.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Like I said passive aggressive... No, I brought you in because you know what you're up to. You're got an axe to grind with me, but don't have the balls to directly confront me, so you play this BS game. If you want to talk about group rules, group rules state that we don't use people's name, but never mind that.

So what do you want from me?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

To stop acting like you don't know what's going on, as if you were tagged by chance. Don't feign ignorance...

Seriously, please don't rope me into these political conversations again.

I know where I stand, you know where I stand, I know where you stand, you know where you stand. We both argue in these kinds of political threads. We both know they end up in dumpster fires. I don't know about you, but quite frankly I'm tiring of it.

If you really want to talk with me, please PM me.

• LMAO! 1

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Wanted to? They did, hence no more plain clothes unit... What happened to the social workers that de Blasio said would be deployed? <_< 

Well I don’t know why people are complaining. This is apparently what they wanted. I would have increased the police budget to allow them to have better training to deal with situations involving mentally ill people. So you deploy a social worker out there and what if the guy pulls out a knife. Oops guess you have to call the cops now. 

I still believe that the system is not as bad as some make it, but of course it doesn’t hurt to have more police in the stations especially during the late night and overnight hours when things are quiet. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Well I don’t know why people are complaining. This is apparently what they wanted. I would have increased the police budget to allow them to have better training to deal with situations involving mentally ill people. So you deploy a social worker out there and what if the guy pulls out a knife. Oops guess you have to call the cops now. 

I still believe that the system is not as bad as some make it, but of course it doesn’t hurt to have more police in the stations especially during the late night and overnight hours when things are quiet. 

My personal take as a MAN who can defend himself and stands at 6'4", 200+ pounds, I'm not afraid to take the subway. I stopped using it regularly mainly because it became unreliable. The other stuff I saw picking up like people shooting up on the platform or mezzanine level was just an added reason, and that decision was made before the pandemic. I think it really depends on the lines you use. Lines like the (A) and (E) for example are plagued with homeless at certain times, many of whom have issues. If I was a female, I would likely be avoiding the subway. A lot of female riders in my group have absolutely stated that they don't feel comfortable riding the subway and have been avoiding it. They face harassment and other things that are not reported as crime and thus don't show up as crime, but again it's there, so from my point of view, I understand the concerns because I was seeing a lot of it even before COVID. 

What I am unsure of is if we have more mentally unstable people riding now versus before, which seems to be the case. If the City just dealt with that problem, I think a lot of the concerns would go away. 

The crime is going up. It is a fact.

Take it from someone who listens to the 6-Wire for at least 8 hours a day when I'm at work.

There is a lot of it that doesn't get reported. 

We are averaging at least 1 employee assault EVERY DAY. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, mediccjh said:

The crime is going up. It is a fact.

Take it from someone who listens to the 6-Wire for at least 8 hours a day when I'm at work.

There is a lot of it that doesn't get reported. 

We are averaging at least 1 employee assault EVERY DAY. 

I'm curious how you guys are handling this? Heard about this in the news. Often times you guys show up to assist and are being assaulted...

On 5/15/2021 at 11:13 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm curious how you guys are handling this? Heard about this in the news. Often times you guys show up to assist and are being assaulted...

I keep my head on a swivel, and that's what I tell my people to do. 

That's all I can say on here without jeopardizing anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2