Animated Digital Bus & Train Destination Signs

This is the Animated Digital Bus & Train Destination Signs thread. In no particular order, I would like to express my thanks to RTS CNG Command, Lance, BenTheMiner, ConeyIslandAv7, R44 CNG (and other artists that I can't seem to remember now) for the dedication and inspiration needed to make this possible for the past 11 years. My thanks also goes out to Harry for pinning this wonderful thread (and others!) Please read the bottom carefully before requesting a sign.

1. You can only request one of each (bus and train) or 2 of one (bus or train) at a time. However, you can request up to 3 rear-end signs since they're simple -sort of-.
  2. Failure to specify your request with clarity will result in me choosing for you. Although some elements are a bit dated, unspecific or unrelated, use this guide for reference.
  3. Be reasonable with your requests, don't expect me to produce anything beyond 4-6 frames for the interior signs and beyond 3 elsewhere. And if that's the case, then you can only request one sign and it will be held off depending on the number of requests.
  4. I don't abbreviate, ever. If it's for the green flipdot sign, then I can make an exception. I will add in extra stuff (via, to, -insert abbreviated boroughs-, st/nd/rd/th, etc). if applicable.

At the present time, I can produce the following digital signs:

Bus signs:

1. Scrolling will be the default transition for the flipdot sign, while the "blank" transition will be the default for older R142 signs, though both transitions can be done for any sign. You must mention if you want these features outside of the respective signs.
  2. The default font color will be used, though multi colors can be done. However, only the colors featured on the official bus maps will be used.

Green Flipdot/Side Titan LED (120x16)

BX26_LTD_FLIPDOT(2).gif

Horizon LED (160x16)

Bx22LocalHorizonLEDa.png

Titan LED (200x24)

B64LocalTitanLED1.gif (from 2013, it will be updated soon)

Side Green Flipdot/Horizon LED (90x7)

Bx41LTDSideFlipdot1.gif

Bx15LocalSideHorizonLED1.gif

Rear Green Flipdot (23x10)

Bx1LocalRearFlipdot1.png

Rear Horizon LED (48x16)

Bx52RearHorizonLED1.png

Exterior train signs:

1. There are 4 versions of the B-division LCD signs: the beige/yellowish one found inside, the black one found outside, a grayish one that I invented out of the blues and the prototype version that was only used for testing purposes and never officially used to my knowledge. It is imperative that you mention which one you want due to the variety available.
  2. The default font color will be used, though multi colors can be done. However, only the colors denoting the current trunk lines (and the pre-1979 colors) will be used.
  3. Double letters and numbers are possible (unless otherwise stated).

R44/R46 LCD Signs (15 characters, 7x5)

AAExpressLCD1A.gif

AAExpressLCD1B.gif

3ExpressLCDGray1.gif

GLocalLCDPrototype1.gif

1. Digital diamond and circle bullets were added, taken straight from the modified R62/A signs used on the (6) and (7).

R110B LCD Signs (20 characters, 7x5)

6Express_LCD1.gif (black color scheme is also available)

CCLocalLCDGray1.gif

9LocalLCDPrototype1.gif

1. At the present time, double letters and numbers are NOT possible for the exterior signs below. I will experiment and see if I can work around it, but the large mosaic/dot matrix fonts will be done away with.
  2. A small "flipdot" indicator reading [LCL] [LTD] [EXP] [SHU] [S/S] was added.

R142 Dot Matrix/Mosaic LCD (20x27 for the large font, 20 characters elsewhere)

FLocalMtrxMscLCD1.gif

R142A Mosaic LCD (20 characters)

QExpressMosaicLCD1.gif

R142S Dot Matrix/Commuter LCD (17x24 for the large font, 20 characters elsewhere)

MLocalCommuterLCD1.gif

R143 LED (19x12 for the large font, 110x9 elsewhere)

6LocalLED1.gif

R160 LED (20x12 for the large font, 115x9 elsewhere)

9SkipStopExpressLED1.gif

R179 LED (20x12 for the large font, 150x9 elsewhere)

DSkipStopLocalLED1.gif

1. Instead of a flipdot indicator, a diamond and circle bullet will take its place.

R142 Rounded Typeface LED (20 characters)

NExpressRoundedTypefaceLED2.gif

R188 Squared Typeface LED (20 characters)

3ExpressSquaredTypefaceLED1.gif

Interior train signs:

1. There are 2 versions of the B-division Interior LCD sign: the beige/yellowish one found inside and a grayish one invented by me. I plan on developing a prototype version later on.
  2. The default font color will be used, though multi colors can be done. However, only the colors denoting the current trunk lines (and the pre-1979 colors) will be used.

R44/46 Interior LCD (25 characters, 7x5) (both images below are from 2012, they will be updated soon)

5ExpressInteriorLCD1.gif

XLocalInteriorLCD1.gif

R110A/B Interior LCD (25 characters, "Split flat" mosaic)

Q_Express_Interior_Mosaic_LCD.gif

R142/A Interior LED (205x16)

4ExpressInteriorLED1.gif

R142/A Interior LED Extended (250x16)

QBExpressExtendedInteriorLED1.gif

R143/160 Interior LED (205x13)

RRLocalInteriorLED1.gif

R179 Interior LED (250x13)

11ExpressInteriorLED1.gif

I plan to expand the collection by creating more alternate digital signs, inspired by actual ones. In the meantime, enjoy!

To be expected in the future:

1. Countdown clocks from both divisions.
  2. Axion LED and an expanded Luminator font sizes 5-24 (the latter will take awhile, I only reconstructed sizes 5-9).
  3. Reintroducing a yellow color scheme of the R143/160/179 Exterior LED signs, akin to the B-division LCD signs.
  4. A prototype color scheme of the R44/46 Interior LCD, just so it can feel complete.
  5. Alternate versions of the R143/160/179 Exterior LED signs (see here, they're -mostly- inspired by actual digital bus signs).
  6. A miniature Interior LED for the R143/160/179, using the respective exterior LED fonts (see here, they were only used due to lack of materials at the time).
  7. A possible workaround for double letters/numbers for all new tech exterior signs.
Edited by IRT Bronx Express

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they look very nice :)

I love it.

I think I love to see

(M):

FOREST HILLS-71ST AV

6TH AV/QUEENS BLVD LOCAL

VIA 53RD ST

METROPOLITAN AV-MIDDLE VILLAGE

6TH AV/JAMAICA LINE

VIA 53RD ST

(M)

57TH ST

6TH AV/QUEENS BLVD LOCAL

VIA 53RD ST

(M) TO 145TH ST VIA 6TH AV/CPW LOCAL

I can't send a new PM to you since your inbox is full. How do you want it? R44/46 LCD or R143/160 LED? And the color: yellow or gray?

Sweet job!!!!!

I wouldnt mind having that R160 (A) sign but i would like it to display the current pattern:

Far Rockaway

8 Av Exp

Fulton St Exp

via JFK Airport

via Delancey St

I like the G.O. Gives me a one seat ride home from my sister's crib in LES. LOL

R143/R160 Mostly

Here, and here :cool: I'll make the remaining 2 by tonight.

1. Awesome :rock:

2. What program(s) do you use?

3. (Z) EXP, To Jamaica Center, Super Skip-Stop, Jamaica/Broadway EXP (R160/R143 and Gray)

Thank You!!!

1. Thanks :tup:

2. I used Paint to design the signages. :o

3. There you go ;)

Sweet job!!!!!

I wouldn't mind having that R160 (A) sign but i would like it to display the current pattern:

Far Rockaway

8 Av Exp

Fulton St Exp

via JFK Airport

via Delancey St

I like the G.O. Gives me a one seat ride home from my sister's crib in LES. LOL

Thanks, your wish is my command. :P That GO route is via the F line right?

Awesome Signs!

Can I get the R160 sign

(J) LCL, To Broad St, Jamaica Local, Nassau St Local

Thank you :tup: Here's your signage :cool:

People, don't be afraid to request one or more signages. You'll like them. ;)

COOL! rainbow.gifroll2.gif

One idea for the LED signs would be to make the actual destination text white. That would be more visible. The route letter bearing the route color would be enough.

As it is, they only use amber now because it's supposedly more visible, and I would use white as to not contradict the route color, and that should be visible enough even if it's not as good as amber. But colors like brown or blue would be harder to see.

This is something I would really want them to adopt. It's the front sign I'm trying to convince them on (see avatar) now.

Are you going to do buses as well. (They said the sign programs don;t have enough capacity to add colors).

If you have time, can you make me a signature that displays the following, please?:

(N)|Broadway Local

(N)|Sea Beach EXP

(N)|Gravesend-86 St

(N)|via Whitehall

Thanks in advance.

R44/46 LCD or R143/160 LED?

COOL! rainbow.gifroll2.gif

One idea for the LED signs would be to make the actual destination text white. That would be more visible. The route letter bearing the route color would be enough.

As it is, they only use amber now because it's supposedly more visible, and I would use white as to not contradict the route color, and that should be visible enough even if it's not as good as amber. But colors like brown or blue would be harder to see.

This is something I would really want them to adopt. It's the front sign I'm trying to convince them on (see avatar) now.

Are you going to do buses as well. (They said the sign programs don;t have enough capacity to add colors).

Thanks for the feedback. :tup: Yes, I have the amber-colored fonts for the R143/160 LED. I gave the fonts different colors because it was an original idea and the real thing doesn't have it. But yes, the blue color resembling the 8th Avenue line was way too dark, so I gave it a somewhat brighter color and it worked :tup:. Maybe I should do the same for the Nassau Street line too...

I never tried white though, so maybe I can test it out and see how the fonts turn out. As for buses, RTS CNG Command does Flipdots and LED bus signages. I have no tools and pictures to make them sadly. However, I can use the handmade LCD/LED signs to make them, only if I can make the route destination number fit on the left side since it requires 2-5 characters. That's the only issue for now.

Edited by IRT Bronx Express

can you make a q train to ditmrs(Q)

In fact, keep it like the (G) and (A) signs. Also, I decided to change it to (Mx) Express

(Mx) NASSAU ST EXP

(Mx) BROADWAY JCT

(Mx) WEST END LOCAL

(Mx) JAMAICA EXP

(Mx) VIA MYRTLE AV

So change the F sign to match the A/G LED signage?

And I'm confused with the (Mx).. So Nassau/Jamaica EXP with West End Local via Myrtle Ave, heading to Broadway Junction?

Guest lance25

Nice work. My request:

(M) To 57 St-6 Av

(M) via Myrtle Av

(M) Jamaica Lcl

(M) 6 Av Local

If you can, I would like the route letter to be colored in its mainline colors and the rest of it in the standard amber color with "LCL" on the side. Thanks in advance.

Hey if you can, make me one that says:

(Q) Coney Island

(Q) 3 avenue Exp.(Bx)*

(Q) 2 avenue Exp.

(Q) Bway Exp.

(Q) Brighton Lcl.

(Q) via 63 st.

So try to make it if you have a chance.

*don't add the Bx.

*For the R160

I know it's too much, but plz try to make it if you can.

Yep
You got it.

I'll take the R160-style signage. I guess it'd have LCL on the side.
Okay then.

Nice work. My request:

(M) To 57 St-6 Av

(M) via Myrtle Av

(M) Jamaica Lcl

(M) 6 Av Local

If you can, I would like the route letter to be colored in its mainline colors and the rest of it in the standard amber color with "LCL" on the side. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I'll use the amber-colored fonts for the destination sign.

Make me a altrnating sign that says (4) Woodlawn (4) Legiston ave Express.