Animated Digital Bus & Train Destination Signs

Big thanks to those that are keeping this thread active. :)

(3) WAKEFIELD-241 ST

(3) 7 AV EXP

(3) via WHITE PLAINS RD

I want to apologize for the unnecessary, overdue sign you requested months ago. I don't know if it's supposed to be (2) or (3), but you can choose whichever merits you.

2ExpressLED1.gif

3ExpressLED1.gif

4 Flatbush Ave

4 Via 7th Ave Exp

4 Via The (2) Line

4 Last Stop

4 To Woodlawn

4 The Next Stop Is

4 Newirk Ave

4 2:00 Pm

4 Woodlawn

4 Via Lexington Ave Express

4ExpressInteriorLED1-1.gif

<Q> Broadway Express

Brighton Express

Brighton Beach

I forgot to mention that the yellow-style LED was discontinued because it was underutilized and way too bright. The "EXP" was removed as it was hard to read when resized.

QExpressLED2.gif

Bullet: (T)

Readout:

To 205 Street/Bronx

2 Avenue Local

Concourse/3 Avenue Local

TLocalLCD1.gif

...and a (4) that goes to Bowling Green?

4ExpressMosaicLCD1.gif

(5) to New Lots Av

Lexington Av Express

Eastern Pkwy Express

(E) 23:27 January 2, 2012

To 179 Street

The Next Stop Is

Parsons Boulevard

5ExpressMosaicLCD1.gif

ELocalInteriorLED1.gif

Of course you can, why would you want to flood him they way that you flood the Bus thread?
Yep, it's going to remain that way until I finish revamping the Luminator fonts (check the Animated Luminator Signs thread for more info).

And to finish off, I produced this sign last night.

3ExpressCommuterLCD1.gif

Until next time.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I have 2?

1st one: R160 Interior (Teal)

(U) 3:59 PM April 28, 2012

(U) THIS IS

(U) 34 ST-EMPIRE STATE BLDG

(U) TO ROCKAWAY AVENUE

(U) VIA 5 AVENUE EXP

(U) THE NEXT STOP IS

(U) 42 STREET/BRYANT PARK

2nd one: R46 Exterior Original

(E) To New Hyde Park-Hillside Bl

(E) 8th Avenue Express

(E) Bklyn-Queens Express

Thanks! :)

May I request one please? And R160 side sign? This is the color I would like it in.

The code is 00ADD0.

It has 0 Red, 173 Green, and 208 Blue.

200px-M_Train_%281967-1979%29.svg.png

( M ) Nassau Street Local

( M ) Brighton Express

( M ) Brighton Beach

I don't mean to be insanely strict on the color, but I just don't want it to be confused with the color of the (T). Thanks in advance.

Edited by trainguy97

Hey IRT, nice to see you're still doing this for the community...

I'd like to request two: first one is a R142 interior and second one is the R142 Commuter Exterior

(4) BEDFORD PARK BLVD

(4) THE NEXT STOP IS

(4) 59 ST

(4) 7:25 AM

(4) BX SCI SHUTTLE

4 BEDFORD PARK BLVD

4 JEROME-LEX EXP

4 SCIENCE SHUTTLE

I like to represent schools I used to go to :lol:

Anyways, thanks in advanced IRT.

This is a tutorial on how you should request your sign, to make everyone's lives easier and simple. It is not my obligation to assume how you want your sign to look like. Unless you don't mind me choosing for you and not correcting it afterwards, then you must specify how you want your sign to look like.

I don't care if your requests include fictional routes, former *existing* routes ( (V)(W)), rerouted routes, planned routes ( (T)), etc. as long as it's not beyond foam ( (4) to Coney Island). I accept (J) to Coney Island, (C) via Culver, (Q) to Jamaica Center because it's possible in real life (it just won't happen, however). Please take a look here to see what signs are available for requests.

Choosing the type of sign

Let's start with the LCD sign first. The bullets are just personal additions, but you can request the small LCD with no bullets if it merits you. Two color variants exist (original and gray), so you have variety. What's even better is that double letters/numbers are only possible for this exterior sign only!

Perhaps you don't like the outdated LCD signs... there's the mosaic and commuter LCDs. They look similar, but the letter designs are different! And no dots are used at all.

Maybe they don't appeal to you... but there's always the NTT LEDs and there are 4 variants! If you want to stick with realism, then request the original. If you like large sign readings, then the extended sign is for you. If you like bus signs so much, then you can request the modified LEDs, designed to look like flipdot and horizon signs (only luminator fonts will be used).

What about the interior signs? The int. LCD has two color variants (obvious). There are 2 int. LED signs: R142/A and R143/160. (obvious, and the letters are different) As an added bonus, double letters/numbers are possible for all interior signs!

I chose the sign type. Now what?

You decide the sign reading.

Exterior

(D) Central Park West/6 Ave Express

(D) 4 Ave Express/West End Local

(D) To Coney Island - Stillwell Ave/Bklyn

Depending on the type of sign you choose, I might shorten the reading or split the readings in 2 different frames.

EX: (A) Washington Hts

(A) W. 168 St

You can choose Express/Local over EXP/LCL and vice versa. "Via/To", "ST/ND/RD/TH", and "BX/MANHTN/QNS/BKLYN" are personal aditions, so if you want them or not, just say it.

Interior

(4) This is

(4) Brooklyn Bridge

(4) To New Lots Ave

(4) The next stop is

(4) Wall St

(4) 11:54 A.M. Jul 14, 2010

Same as above, long readings will be condensed or split in half. "Jul 14, 2010" is another addition, so you can pick the time, date, or both. Please limit the amount of frames to 8 as it's tedious to produce more than 8. Also, multi-colored signs are optional, so if you want to stick with the original colors as seen in real life, then that's not a problem.

I might edit later, but that's all for now. Questions, ask.

This is a tutorial on how you should request your sign, to make everyone's lives easier and simple. It is not my obligation to assume how you want your sign to look like. Unless you don't mind me choosing for you and not correcting it afterwards, then you must specify how you want your sign to look like.

I don't care if your requests include fictional routes, former *existing* routes ( (V)(W)), rerouted routes, planned routes ( (T)), etc. as long as it's not beyond foam ( (4) to Coney Island). I accept (J) to Coney Island, (C) via Culver, (Q) to Jamaica Center because it's possible in real life (it just won't happen, however). Please take a look here to see what signs are available for requests.

Let's start with the LCD sign first. The bullets are just personal additions, but you can request the small LCD with no bullets if it merits you. Two color variants exist (original and gray), so you have variety. What's even better is that double letters/numbers are only possible for this exterior sign only!

Perhaps you don't like the outdated LCD signs... there's the mosaic and commuter LCDs. They look similar, but the letter designs are different! And no dots are used at all.

Maybe they don't appeal to you... but there's always the NTT LEDs and there are 4 variants! If you want to stick with realism, then request the original. If you like large sign readings, then the extended sign is for you. If you like bus signs so much, then you can request the modified LEDs, designed to look like flipdot and horizon signs (only luminator fonts will be used).

What about the interior signs? The int. LCD has two color variants (obvious). There are 2 int. LED signs: R142/A and R143/160. (obvious, and the letters are different) As an added bonus, double letters/numbers are possible for all interior signs!

Exterior

Depending on the type of sign you choose, I might shorten the reading or split the readings in 2 different frames.

(A) W. 168 St

You can choose Express/Local over EXP/LCL and vice versa. "Via/To", "ST/ND/RD/TH", and "BX/MANHTN/QNS/BKLYN" are personal aditions, so if you want them or not, just say it.

Interior

(4) This is

(4) Brooklyn Bridge

(4) To New Lots Ave

(4) The next stop is

(4) Wall St

Same as above, long readings will be condensed or split in half. "Jul 14, 2010" is another addition, so you can pick the time, date, or both. Please limit the amount of frames to 8 as it's tedious to produce more than 8. Also, multi-colored signs are optional, so if you want to stick with the original colors as seen in real life, then that's not a problem.

LMAO.... Very good... :P

Exterior

(A) W. 168 St

Interior

(4) This is

(4) Brooklyn Bridge

(4) To New Lots Ave

(4) The next stop is

(4) Wall St

Im blushed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Note: Can a mod please merge this topic with the original one and rename it accordingly? And whatever I post here be edited in within the OP as well? Thanks.

This is the Animated Digital Bus & Train Destination Signs thread. I would like to express my thanks to (in no particular order) RTS CNG Command, Lance, BenTheMiner, ConeyIslandAv7, R44 CNG (and others that I can't seem to remember) for the dedication and inspiration needed to make this possible for the past 11 years. Please read the bottom carefully before requesting a sign.

1. You can only request one of each (bus and train) or 2 of one (bus or train) at a time.
  2. Failure to specify your request will result in me choosing for you.
  3. Be reasonable with your requests, don't expect me to produce anything beyond 4-5 frames. And if that's the case, then you can only request one sign and it will be held off depending on the number of requests.
  4. I don't abbreviate, ever. If it's for the flipdot, then I can make an exception.

At the present time, I can produce the following digital signs:

Bus signs:

1. Scrolling will be the default transition for the flipdot sign, while the "blank" transition will be the default for older R142 signs, though both transitions can be done for any sign. You must mention if you want these features outside of the respective signs.
  2. The default font color will be used, though multi colors can be done. However, only the colors featured on the official bus maps will be used.

Green Flipdot/Side Titan (120x16)

BX26_LTD_FLIPDOT(2).gif

Horizon LED (160x16)

Bx22LocalHorizonLEDa.png

Titan LED (200x24)

B64LocalTitanLED1.gif (from 2013)

Side Flipdot/Horizon (90x7)

Bx41LTDSideFlipdot1.gif

Bx15LocalSideHorizonLED1.gif

Rear Flipdot (23x10)

Bx1LocalRearFlipdot1.png

Rear Horizon (48x16)

Bx52RearHorizonLED1.png

I'll be adding more later on, they're not ready for "display".

Exterior train signs:

1. There are 4 versions of the B-division LCD sign: the beige/yellowish one found inside, the black one found outside, a grayish one that I invented out of the blues and the prototype one that was only used for testing purposes and never officially used to my knowledge. It is imperative that you mention which one you want due to the variety available.
  2. The default font color will be used, though multi colors can be done. However, only the colors denoting the current trunk lines (and the pre-1979 colors) will be used.
  3. Double letters and numbers are possible (unless otherwise stated).

R44/R46 LCD Signs (15 characters, 7x5)

AAExpressLCD1A.gif

AAExpressLCD1B.gif

3ExpressLCDGray1.gif

GLocalLCDPrototype1.gif

1. Digital diamond and circle bullets were added, taken straight from the modified R62/A signs used on the (6) and (7).

R110B LCD Signs (20 characters, 7x5)

6Express_LCD1.gif

CCLocalLCDGray1.gif

9LocalLCDPrototype1.gif

1. At the present time, double letters and numbers are NOT possible for the exterior signs below.
  2. A small "flipdot" indicator reading [LCL] [LTD] [EXP] [SHU] [S/S] was added.

R142 Dot Matrix/Mosaic LCD (20 characters)

FLocalMtrxMscLCD1.gif

R142A Mosaic LCD (20 characters)

QExpressMosaicLCD1.gif

R142S Commuter LCD (20 characters)

MLocalCommuterLCD1.gif

R143 LED (19x12 for the large font, 110x9 elsewhere)

6LocalLED1.gif

R160 LED (20x12 for the large font, 115x9 elsewhere)

9SkipStopExpressLED1.gif

R179 LED (20x12 for the large font, 150x9 elsewhere)

DSkipStopLocalLED1.gif

1. Instead of a flipdot indicator, a diamond and circle bullet will take its place.

R142 Rounded Typeface LED (20 characters)

JExpressRoundedTypeface_LED1.gif

R188 Squared Typeface LED (20 characters)

WLocalSquaredTypefaceLED1.gif

Interior train signs:

1. There are 2 versions of the B-division Interior LCD sign: the beige/yellowish one found inside and a grayish one invented by me. I plan on developing a prototype version later on.
  2. The default font color will be used, though multi colors can be done. However, only the colors denoting the current trunk lines (and the pre-1979 colors) will be used.

R44/46 Interior LCD (25 characters, 7x5)

5ExpressInteriorLCD1.gif (from 2012)

XLocalInteriorLCD1.gif (from 2012)

R110A/B Interior LCD (25 characters, "Split flat" mosaic)

Q_Express_Interior_Mosaic_LCD.gif

R142/A Interior LED (205x16)

4ExpressInteriorLED1.gif

R142/A Interior LED Extended (250x16)

QBExpressExtendedInteriorLED1.gif

R143/160 Interior LED (205x13)

RRLocalInteriorLED1.gif

R179 Interior LED (250x13)

11ExpressInteriorLED1.gif

I plan to expand the collection by creating more alternate digital signs, inspired by actual ones. In the meantime, enjoy!

• Harry pinned this topic
  • Harry locked this topic
On 5/17/2021 at 11:42 PM, BenTheMiner said:

Looks nice! If you didn't know, your R179 exterior LED uses the R160 destination font.

I found the error, I was using the wrong "E" and "O". Less impressive is the fact I didn't reconstruct the lowercase letters, whoops.

In other news, I slightly altered the circle bullet that overlaps with the diamond bullet. On that same note, I redid the diamond bullets for both because they looked very disjointed and too close together. I was aiming for literal perfection, yet some of my reconstructed signs aren't exactly like the real deals, hehe

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/x402/BronxSkipStopExpress/3ExpressSquaredTypefaceLED1.gif

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/x402/BronxSkipStopExpress/NExpressRoundedTypefaceLED2.gif

37 minutes ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

I found the error, I was using the wrong "E" and "O". Less impressive is the fact I didn't reconstruct the lowercase letters, whoops.

In other news, I slightly altered the circle bullet that overlaps with the diamond bullet. On that same note, I redid the diamond bullets for both because they looked very disjointed and too close together. I was aiming for literal perfection, yet some of my reconstructed signs aren't exactly like the real deals, hehe

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/x402/BronxSkipStopExpress/3ExpressSquaredTypefaceLED1.gif

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/x402/BronxSkipStopExpress/NExpressRoundedTypefaceLED2.gif

You made these fonts up yourself? Or did you get the character design from somewhere?

1 hour ago, BenTheMiner said:

You made these fonts up yourself? Or did you get the character design from somewhere?

For the most part, a large bulk of the fonts came from you and Lance ;). The luminator fonts came from RTS CNG Command, though a member here posted an official list that ranges from "size" 5 to 24 which also includes Titan fonts.

BTW, I don't use the fonts, I reconstructed them with Paint as I have been doing for the past 11 years. ^_^

Just now, IRT Bronx Express said:

For the most part, a large bulk of the fonts came from you and Lance ;). The luminator fonts came from RTS CNG Command, though a member here posted an official list that ranges from "size" 5 to 24 which also includes Titan fonts.

BTW, I don't use the fonts, I reconstructed them with Paint as I have been doing for the past 11 years. ^_^

Hang on, Titan fonts? I actually need those. Could you please provide them to me? I've been struggling with the fonts and it's also been a bit confusing 😅

5 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

YES, I was trying to find this! Thank you so much! This will definitely help me complete my Luminator fonts.

Darn, the Titan signs are not the exact same as the ones used by the MTA! Oh well. The other fonts will still help. I can probably make more Titan signs with these.