MTA Bus Sales?

AJ023

10 minutes ago, AJ023 said:

Just wondering how MTA disposes of their older bus fleet.  I see other transit agencies selling them outright but I haven’t seen a lot of MTA Bus fleet for sale if at all.  

Most of them are scrapped. They save a few for the museum or whatever. I've seen some of those RTS models used for the Metrocard buses, so in sum, most are scrapped, some recycled for other purposes, and some preserved for their museum.

39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Most of them are scrapped. They save a few for the museum or whatever. I've seen some of those RTS models used for the Metrocard buses, so in sum, most are scrapped, some recycled for other purposes, and some preserved for their museum.

A lot of the bus are likely older high mileage and they seem to keep bus longer than other transit agencies.  Interesting how MTA scraps while others resell.  MTA’s latest generation of bus purchases are really decent equipment but there seems to be a lot of better equipment than some of the older models.  

55 minutes ago, AJ023 said:

A lot of the bus are likely older high mileage and they seem to keep bus longer than other transit agencies.  Interesting how MTA scraps while others resell.  MTA’s latest generation of bus purchases are really decent equipment but there seems to be a lot of better equipment than some of the older models.  

They take pieces that they need from them then scrap them. I've been on buses that definitely had seats from other buses and so on.

13 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Some MTA GMC RTS were resold to an Rhode Island bus system. 

The MTA doesn't resell buses cause they beat them to a plup over the course of their service lifes and most units aren't worth reselling come retirement time. 

Can't believe they re-sold any of those. I've been on some of those buses where when it rained, there would be leaks all over the bus. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Can't believe they re-sold any of those. I've been on some of those buses where when it rained, there would be leaks all over the bus. 

I can’t believe someone bought the NICE Bus Orions in an auction awhile ago.  I didn’t realize those had any value at all as they were complete junk.  I guess those were bought when MTA was in charge.  Personally the only type of bus I like which are also built to last are the luxury coach bus models of which there are several manufacturers who make really nice ones.  I wouldn’t mind doing an RV conversion on one.  Even MTA’s first generation Prevost’s are really nice.  MTA never ordered the D4505 or J4500 from MCI which I also like.  I came across other transit agencies selling off their own MCI D4500’s either same age or newer than the MTA’s.  

Edited by AJ023

5 hours ago, AJ023 said:

I can’t believe someone bought the NICE Bus Orions in an auction awhile ago.  I didn’t realize those had any value at all as they were complete junk.  I guess those were bought when MTA was in charge.  Personally the only type of bus I like which are also built to last are the luxury coach bus models of which there are several manufacturers who make really nice ones.  I wouldn’t mind doing an RV conversion on one.  Even MTA’s first generation Prevost’s are really nice.  MTA never ordered the D4505 or J4500 from MCI which I also like.  I came across other transit agencies selling off their own MCI D4500’s either same age or newer than the MTA’s.  

Orion Buses for sale you say?!