Electric Bus Contract

Tranzitfan81

So I recently read that NJ Transit wants to start the pilot in Camden for the 8 Electric buses this Fall.  Do we know what Models NJT will be using? (ie...Proterra or New Flyer).  I actually hope it is New Flyer, I am not a fan of the Design of the Proterra buses. 

It was supposed to be Proterra but now New Flyer is in the mix. So its a 50/50 shot we will see soon who gets it.  I bet New Flyer since they already have their foot in the door but it could go either way.

Edited by busdude2

On 5/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, busdude2 said:

It was supposed to be Proterra but now New Flyer is in the mix. So its a 50/50 shot we will see soon who gets it.  I bet New Flyer since they already have their foot in the door but it could go either way.

Do you have an idea around when we would know which model it's confirmed to be? Since fall is just a few months away.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

So it looks like New Flyer has won the bid, and the prototype will arrive in 2022.

Source? I would rather wait for an official source over hearsay.

Edited by Cait Sith

Rumors thus far. Nothing has been decided yet. And we all know from our years of tracking this is that expected dates can be pushed back months, even years. All we know is that the infrastructure work is underway at Newton Ave, site of the first deployment.

3 hours ago, davemackey said:

Rumors thus far. Nothing has been decided yet. And we all know from our years of tracking this is that expected dates can be pushed back months, even years. All we know is that the infrastructure work is underway at Newton Ave, site of the first deployment.

That's what I figured. Normally, NJT would make a big deal out of any bus orders and post it on their site or elsewhere.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:00 AM, Future ENY OP said:

According to the (NJT) procurement calendar nothing is solid as of yet with regards to this award.  
https://www.njtransit.com/procurement/calendar

Source: NJ Transit Procurement Calendar. 

You're looking at the wrong section. It's not the procurement calendar you should be looking at, it's the Notice of Awards section.

Regardless, it's not there either.

16 hours ago, dkm07302 said:

I know this question isn't part of this forum but i wanted to know what you guys think of the electric buses? I've never rode on one and have no knowledge of these types of buses. 

As they stand right now, they are getting better. Battery technology has gotten to a point where some of these electric buses can last an entire day on a single charge. Electric buses are good especially since they are torque monsters and can take hills with ease, but the development and advancement of the technology still needs more time.

22 hours ago, dkm07302 said:

I know this question isn't part of this forum but i wanted to know what you guys think of the electric buses? I've never rode on one and have no knowledge of these types of buses. 

I've been on a few XE60's, and I like 'em.

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

As they stand right now, they are getting better. Battery technology has gotten to a point where some of these electric buses can last an entire day on a single charge. Electric buses are good especially since they are torque monsters and can take hills with ease, but the development and advancement of the technology still needs more time.

All this talk of banning ICE's by 2030 or 2035 or whenever (in Europe, at least) we ain't there yet, Nowhere near.....

On 6/16/2021 at 10:00 PM, dkm07302 said:

I have ridden the Proterra bus at Newark Airport. In terms of ride quality, you no longer hear the loud hum of the diesel engine. Acceleration is seamless. However, the smoothness of the ride is dependent on the driver, and you hear the same bumps on the road given that "city/suburban" buses are not known for their suspension. 

• 1 month later...

Deadline was extended due to recent grant to add 4 more buses making it a total of 12 buses. Finally on June 9 2021, NJT received their bids. A notice of award is imminent. We will know soon. 

————-

Proposals Due for: Request for Proposal No. 20-058, (12) “40-Foot Battery-Electric Powered Transit Buses" No Fee** To obtain a copy of the RFP & Proposal submittal instructions please send an e-mail request to intakeunit@njtransit.com. Please include your complete mailing address and business contact numbers.

• 2 months later...

Hearing that New Flyer officially is doing the electric buses for NJT:

2110-69BUS STOCK PROGRAM: PURCHASE OF EIGHT (8) ZERO-EMISSION BUSES – Authorization to enter into NJ TRANSIT Contract No. 20-058 with New Flyer of America for the purchase of eight Zero-Emission 40 foot Buses to be operated at the Newton Avenue Bus garage, including spare parts, at a cost not to exceed $9,429,947, plus five percent for contingencies, subject to the availability of funds.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Does anyone know when the first electric bus will arrive at Newton Ave? Last I heard is that the first one will be here by June, with the others by the end of the year. Just wondering since it's June now lol.

still slated to be by june, which could mean anytime in june.