New crosstown line

metsfan

As I said in the other thread, you might as well raze the park altogether if you do something like this. There's already too many man made structures within it already.

Which would create a HUGE uproar by not the area's NIMBY's but by probably a large percentage of the city's population. It will not happen.

125th is a major cross st though with plenty of attractions and that's why demographically / population wise, it could work...it is also a major stop on every line that would be connected to...

Where else would you do it? Everywhere except 103 and 110 (not major cross streets), you'd have to go under three levels of IRT. At 103rd you'd have to go under two levels (mezz, track level), and two at 110th if you factor in the crossunder they'd need to build to make the transfer workable in both directions. Neither of those locations are hotspots unless you live there, either, ridership patterns wouldn't justify building it there.

Say you dig it deep and you look for a major cross st. It'd have to be somewhere local and express trains stop, otherwise you put too much strain on the local lines and it's kind of an inconvenient transfer. Well you got 96 is a local stop on the CPW lines and Lex, only lcl/exp on the west side lines. 86 is a cross st and exp on Lex, but local on CPW and west side. 72nd/77th is too residential to justify that sort of line, it's not really a destination unless you live there, and 68/59 are getting close to midtown and you got the trains coming in from queens which can provide crosstown service on 53rd. On the other end 116 is so close you might as well build at 125 because there are more destination spots there.

103rd is pretty hectic on the CPW line, the express uptown moves away from the local track, dives below, under the downtown services, meanwhile, the uptown local moves to the far right and the downtown services in come level with the uptown local before the uptown express rises in the middel of 110th.

Even if there is the Met Museum, that should not be the only reason why the subway needs to be built. There are no other MAJOR areas of interest nearby equal or greater than the Met Museum that would justify your alignment.

The 125th Street is more logical as a corridor for crosstown-Queens travel, as I mentioned:

-There are major subway stations throughout the corridor

-The corridor is DENSELY choked with traffic

-It allows a one seat ride from Central Harlem to the Lower East Side (a growing market)

-It allows a shortcut of Queens residents going to the Bronx, or vice versa as a Queens extension following Astoria Blvd from Flushing (or Laurelton, via LIRR ROW under Parsons Blvd and Kissena Blvd to Flushing), as they can transfer to the Lexington Ave lines without having to deal with 59th Street (a VERY crowded station during rush hours) or Lenox Ave lines (to the Bronx or Upper Harlem) or the Central Park West lines (to Bedford Park, Fordham and Morrisania) or the IRT Broadway local (to Riverdale).

Let us examine the current conditions:

-Someone now from Jackson Hts (say living near Astoria Blvd) going to say Woodlawn, will walk to ride the (7) to Grand Central switch to the (4) to Woodlawn. Or walk to take the (R) to 59th Street and switch to the (4). Under my plan, that person could take the new line straight to Lexington Avenue for the (4). This saves A LOT of time and avoids crowds.

-Someone now from Flushing-Main Street going to say Yankee Stadium (the Mets are playing the Yanks) would take the (7) to Grand Central and switch to the (4) to Yankee. Now under my plan, the same person could ride my new line thru Queens (over Astoria Blvd) then enter Manhattan, switch to the (4) at Lexington Avenue-125th Street or St Nicholas Avenue for the (:D/(D).

-A person now from Astoria intends to visit her grandmother in Riverdale. Her option is to take the (N) to Times Square, then take the (1) to 242nd Street-Van Cortlandt Park. Never racking. My new line will allow her to take it to Broadway-125th Street and transfer directly to the (1) without having to go through Midtown.

If my line could be extended from Flushing, following Kissena Blvd to Parsons Blvd to a bit after Archer Ave rising onto the LIRR ROW to Laurelton, then communities in East Queens will benefit greatly.

-A Bronx Science student living in Fresh Meadows, must now take the bus to Jamaica, Union Turnpike Station or Main Street to catch the train to school (if they do not want to ride the school buses or express buses). Under my plan, that student could shorten that journey A LOT, by taking the new line to Lexington Avenue-125th Street, then transferring to the (4) to Bedford Park Blvd.

-A person now living in Jamaica works somewhere along the (2) line near 229th Street (don't ask me why). He currently takes the (E) to Times Square and transfer to the (2). Or could switch at Queens Plaza to the (R) to 59th Street to the (5) to 180th Street for the (2) (if he knows his subway smarts). However this persons has no option other than riding the train into one of the biggest hubs in the world and transferring or transferring several times to reach his destination. Simple solution? Take the new line to Lenox Avenue and transfer to the (2), or to Lexington Ave and transfer to the (5) then the (2) at East 180th Street.

My arbitrary examples show that with a new line strategically located under 125th Street, many commutes will improve, by cutting times and offering much needed short-cuts. This cannot be done with a line through Central Park, as such a corridor will lack this important feature.

I don't like the idea of a crosstown line being at the top of central park. The whole purpose of my idea for its section in manhattan is to tie together the 5 lines so you DON'T have to go all the way to one end or the other of the park in a bug U or loop to get where you are going. Additional benefit would give the met its own station. People could go between the museum of natural history and the metropolitan museum of art via a 2 minute subway ride.

Connecting the 5 lines in manhattan, the 2 museums is good. Now imagine connection to the airport FINALLY between the astoria line and flushing line.

You could make a crosstown line to the north connecting all of the lines in the bronx.

:D

- A

I don't like the idea of a crosstown line being at the top of central park. The whole purpose of my idea for its section in manhattan is to tie together the 5 lines so you DON'T have to go all the way to one end or the other of the park in a bug U or loop to get where you are going. Additional benefit would give the met its own station. People could go between the museum of natural history and the metropolitan museum of art via a 2 minute subway ride.

Connecting the 5 lines in manhattan, the 2 museums is good. Now imagine connection to the airport FINALLY between the astoria line and flushing line.

You could make a crosstown line to the north connecting all of the lines in the bronx.

:D

- A

THE DAMN LINE IS NOT NEEDED. HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD ACTUALLY RIDE A LINE FROM THE ART MUSEUM AND THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM? I do not see a bloody purpose in tying the lines AT somewhere between 72nd to 96th. It is ILLOGICAL. There are fw express stations in the area, so people would still have to transfer back and forth to get from one side to another. Convenience? I highly doubt it.

The moment the Met gets its own station, other institutions will be asking for direct subway access. No. It will not happen. The Met is not in a dire need of customers. Yes, the walk from 86th Street Station is a nuisance, but implementing a shuttle bus or a BRT system could solve this problem, without having to build a subway in this area just to serve this common purpose.

No offence, but this is really foam. First this is all about what YOU think and not about what OTHERS think. There is a greater demand for service on the 125th Street than in ANY of your corridors. The corridor I am advocating for actually helps Bronx-Queens commutes (a growing market in the past decade), allows for better transfers (through the use of express stations) and eases congestion on 125th Street. What congestion would you alleviate in the UWS and the UES? Minimal. You offer few interchanges based on your map and involves twists and turns. My 125th Street alignment is generally straight. I try to give the same grade or at most, a small grade difference (1 %), while you have both underground sections and elevated sections in a mile and something. My line actually has provisions for LGA access, which will eliminate the need for the M60 (continuing above Grand Central Pkwy to the airport) and you have not defined your Queens alignment, which does show how you will "connect" the (N)(W) with the (7), while my line intersects the Astoria line appropriately at 31st Street/Astoria Blvd and the (7) at Flushing. I really do not see how you think my alignment is TOO far to the NORTH.

125th Street, YES WE CAN.

Archived