jamaica depot

limitednyc

55 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

any update on constuction ?

funny. i was wondering the same thing, because i haven't heard jack shit on any level.. and i haven't personally visited that area in quite some time. I'm almost sure covid had some bearing on this project, though. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

There was a building that was knocked down a couple of years ago in front of the depot on Merrick Blvd allowing way more buses to be parked within the actual depot premises instead of a bunch of them being parked on the streets surrounding the depot. So it makes me wonder if they really need to build a new depot. Maybe they could just rehab the current building and call it a day. I know there is currently a car shop or two that still exist which currently prevents that whole strip along Merrick Blvd between Tuskegee Airman Way & 107th Ave from being all depot space, and perhaps if the MTA can get a hold of that land one day, they could have themselves the perfect spot to expand and or build a new depot. 

Also Imo if they close the depot completely, they should use the Rockville Centre Depot. From what i heard (MTA) still owns that depot. have the majority of the routes at that depot or atleast the Q3,Q5,Q77,Q84 and Q85 out of that depot, The Q4 could go to QV and the Q17 to CS.

The C40LF's could go to that depot from WF and have Wf get a portion of JA XD40's and LFS until the new Depot is complete

9 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Also Imo if they close the depot completely, they should use the Rockville Centre Depot. From what i heard (MTA) still owns that depot. have the majority of the routes at that depot or atleast the Q3,Q5,Q77,Q84 and Q85 out of that depot, The Q4 could go to QV and the Q17 to CS.

The C40LF's could go to that depot from WF and have Wf get a portion of JA XD40's and LFS until the new Depot is complete

Why send C40LF's to Jamaica? I'm a bit curious to why you would mention that. I understand that Rockville Centre is a CNG depot. However, this doesn't warrant a need to have CNG's sent from The Bronx to Queens/Long Island (In this case Rockville Centre) Jamaica has roughly 200 buses and I wonder which lines you would place the CNG's. Some of Jamaica's lines are stop and go. I highly doubt that (MTA) will reactivate Rockville Centre. Although, (MTA) have the funds they still may have to deal with additional hurdles such as community boards and possible additional space. Also, I don't know how long the CNG program will remain but the TA is prepping for the expansion of fleet to become electric.

14 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why send C40LF's to Jamaica? I'm a bit curious to why you would mention that. I understand that Rockville Centre is a CNG depot. However, this doesn't warrant a need to have CNG's sent from The Bronx to Queens/Long Island (In this case Rockville Centre) Jamaica has roughly 200 buses and I wonder which lines you would place the CNG's. Some of Jamaica's lines are stop and go. I highly doubt that (MTA) will reactivate Rockville Centre. Although, (MTA) have the funds they still may have to deal with additional hurdles such as community boards and possible additional space. Also, I don't know how long the CNG program will remain but the TA is prepping for the expansion of fleet to become electric.

the biggest issue is where are the routes gonna go if Jamaica Depot closes, QV can't fit all of those routes and BP is local 100 on top of being (MTA) bus. Rockville is alot better since they can use that depot for 100-150 buses. routes like the Q4 and Q84 could go to QV while the Q17 could go to CS.

Also (MTA) could also take those Orion VII's back from Nice (1760-1839) while NIce replaces their buses with gillgs.

the only reason why I said WF is because they can also uses diesel buses.

Also (from what i heard) is they are gonna build the new depot in the lot where all the buses park at (not the recent lot near 104th ave). They could use the york college lot on Guy R brewer Blvd to park the buses.

I could see them doing this vs. what i first said. It makes more sense to do that. they wouldn't have to worry about complaints because they are building a new depot on their property