Trip Planner source or provenance

Nick

Who distributes the Trip Planner program? Several cities have it, but I've never figured out who's behind it. I don't believe the MTA created it or offers it to other cities, or MTA.info would be promoting it. I found one defect across all three cities' implementations of it and I wish they'd fix it, but I don't think the MTA would report it to the software developers.

I've encountered several defects. Some about addresses were fixed, but I don't know if they all were. One that persists is about options: The user can select the distance they're willing to walk, but if they're willing to walk more than a mile, they're out of luck, because the Trip Planner, at least for New York City, refuses to give any directions at all. It's like we shouldn't walk, find a bicycle or a taxi, or call someone we want to meet to ask them to pick us up on their snow sled. Maybe agencies are afraid of connecting to snow sled rides.

Maybe the app was a minor product for a company that went out of business and no one picked up the pieces, but some transit agencies still have it. Maybe it's offered by a big company that doesn't have a Web page about it but sells directly to agencies. Maybe it's sold under another brand name and agencies have different names for it on their websites. I don't know.

Anyone know who's behind it?

• 4 weeks later...

new.mta.info uses https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner but a 100% unique to MTA UI, the open source UI still works at http://otp-mta-prod.camsys-apps.com/ but nobody knows. I think only portland uses the open source UI. MTA paid brand new graphics designers instead. The count down data and origin to dest travel paths and time quotes are OTP logic. There is a long standing bug that transfer stations assume you exit to street when doing a transfer, instead of using cross passages, giving excessive minutes estimates. It only has 2D dimensional paths lol

OTP is nice that all paths can receive a "grade" coefficient making walking slower, or outright prohibiting bikes/wheelchairs from a sidewalk/street and doing an alternate routing, but "grade" is not altitude, its a coefficient how much slow travel is on the path. 

I do not trust the information put out by trip Planner. The two times I've used it, whoever programmed the G.O's did it incorrectly and all the times that were listed weren't syncing with the actual schedule.

As a result, i got a writeup for getting to work late. Never used it again after that.