21st Steet Bus Priority Improvements

32 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I personally think that 21st Street as is does well for the Q69 and Q100 as those buses move very fast already, but that BRT-like Option (Option #3) looks interesting. What do you all think?

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/21-st-bus-priority-safety-study-cab3-jun2021.pdf

Personally I think the Q69/Q100 should be left as is for now. The times I’ve used both routes they travel at decent speeds. Very rarely have I’ve taken the Q69/Q100 and the bus was crawling. There are definitely other routes and corridors that should be looked at before 21st street gets any improvements done. 

The only changes I’d make is consolidate a few stops that might be close to one another such as the Broadway & 33rd Ave S/B stops. I would make the Q100 local at night for coverage reasons which also gives 21street 24hr local service which I think is more helpful than 24hr LTD service. I would also revise the Q69’s route in Long Island City to either have it avoid Court Square or avoid Queens Plaza. I just don’t think the Q69 should be doing that weird loop to go N/B when the Q100 skips it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Personally I think the Q69/Q100 should be left as is for now. The times I’ve used both routes they travel at decent speeds. Very rarely have I’ve taken the Q69/Q100 and the bus was crawling. There are definitely other routes and corridors that should be looked at before 21st street gets any improvements done. 

The only changes I’d make is consolidate a few stops that might be close to one another such as the Broadway & 33rd Ave S/B stops. I would make the Q100 local at night for coverage reasons which also gives 21street 24hr local service which I think is more helpful than 24hr LTD service. I would also revise the Q69’s route in Long Island City to either have it avoid Court Square or avoid Queens Plaza. I just don’t think the Q69 should be doing that weird loop to go N/B when the Q100 skips it. 

I would also ask why the Q100 shouldn't be rerouted between 21 and 31 Streets to serve Ditmars Boulevard for better coverage, and also why there isn't a Q100 stop at Steinway Street, to provide customers with more options there.

As for the base issue, I would see the Astoria Boulevard intersection as the most complex issue.  I would propose the following fixes (also involving a nearby street)

1. Make Astoria Boulevard one-way between 14 and 21 Street (eastbound only). 27 Avenue would carry westbound traffic only (and be westbound to 8 Street) and Astoria Boulevard would carry eastbound traffic only.

2. Dead-end 28 Avenue before the intersection with Astoria Boulevard and 14 Street. This would reduce light phases from 3 to 2, and create a longer green for detoured traffic from 14 Street. (Truck traffic would be detoured to 8 Street to access Vernon Boulevard.)

3. Dead-end 14 Street before it merges with 21 Street. I had initially thought closing would be a better option, but where can the lost parking spaces be replaced? You only lose 6-8 or so with dead-ending as opposed to 20 with a closure.

Edited by aemoreira81