Barack Obama wins historic presidential election

Trainspotter

Barack Obama, a rookie senator from Illinois cloaked in a mantle of hope and change, was elected America's 44th President Tuesday night, trouncing John McCain to bring down the curtain on eight years of Republican rule.

The Democrat, whose eloquence inspired legions to his side, rode overwhelming disenchantment with the Bush-Cheney brand and the collapse of financial markets toward a historic victory. On Jan. 20, he will take the oath to become the first African-American in the Oval Office.

Obama clinched victory by wresting bellwether Ohio from the GOP column and beating back a furious rear-guard McCain assault on Pennsylvania. He won big victories in New York, New Jersey, Michigan and other reliably Democratic states.

Obama was assured of at least 284 electoral votes, 14 more than the majority needed to win, and may wind up well over 300.

"It was over when we lost Pennsylvania," a glum senior McCain adviser told the Daily News.

No Republican has ever won the White House without Ohio.

The son of a white mother and Kenyan father, Obama shattered the racial ceiling that has stood for every election since George Washington's in 1789.

"The country is in love with the idea of Obama," a senior GOP strategist said, "and then the market melted down. If the Democrats [couldn't] win in this environment

they can't ever win."

The Democratic wave extended to Congress, where Democrats expanded their majorities in both chambers and were within range of the nine-seat Senate pickup that would give them a "filibuster-proof" majority of 60.

Exit polls indicated the fragile state of the economy was the dominant issue - and that given the crisis, voters leaned to a fresh face promising to lift up the middle class at the expense of the powerful.

"The very rich won't get very richer anymore," a leading Democrat crowed as the prospects of a sea change in government policy emerged.

Obama was also running stronger in many Republican enclaves than John Kerry in 2004.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - November 5, 2008

post-5-133288580132_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580132_thumb.jpg

I am very happy about Obama being our next President. I also was feeling good seeing young kids on the street corners on our Main St in Stourdsburg holding Obama signs and seeing everyone feeling good knowing change is coming before they called it. The Dems had a great victory in my area. I am glad to be apart of History knowing my vote helped.

I am very happy about Obama being our next President. I also was feeling good seeing young kids on the street corners on our Main St in Stourdsburg holding Obama signs and seeing everyone feeling good knowing change is coming before they called it. The Dems had a great victory in my area. I am glad to be apart of History knowing my vote helped.

Me too. We really pulled it off in the keystone state. This is the first year i had lawn signs and i'm saving the plastic part of the sign for posterity. :D

- A

Archived