Headlights and your cameras meter

Joe

I notice that the headlights of an oncoming train always seem to trick my meter into thinking i'm aimed at the sun or something. Even using matrix metering the camera still isn't intelligent enough to tell that it's headlights. So what's the best way to avoid having a complete dark scene with just 4 big suns coming at you? Should I overexpose by 1-2 stops and then go back in Photoshop to bring everything back to normal? Highlights can be recovered, but shadow detail is usually lost, i've noticed.

I would feel like spot metering (looking at only the small center 6mm of the image) would underexpose the photo a lot. Unless you mean you spot meter on the scene in general before the train gets there, then lock exposure and recompose?

I would feel like spot metering (looking at only the small center 6mm of the image) would underexpose the photo a lot. Unless you mean you spot meter on the scene in general before the train gets there, then lock exposure and recompose?

That's exactly what i mean. Sometimes you gotta trick the camera into doing what you want. At hoboken, trenton, and night time at levittown i have to deal with lots of varying light conditions, hoboken obviously being the worse of the 3 with direct sunlight right next to shade in odd patterns.

If you can get to hoboken terminal please do check it out. PATH has a line from 33rd st in manhattan that loops around to hoboken and it's 1.75 on your pay per ride metrocard, unlimited ride metrocards not accepted.

- A

Archived