Lawrence's Bus Network Redesign

Lawrence St

15 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, IDK who & to what extent he's expecting ferry patronage from people coming off the bus route to be either, but whatever....

Sure, it isn't a big deal for you, because you wouldn't have to rely on a route running b/w JFK & Brooklyn Army Terminal via New Lots av & via Church av (of all things)..... Very easy to be flippant when it comes to other people's commutes.

It wouldn't matter either way; you won't get much of anyone walking from 3rd to get to that ferry stop & the rest of SW Brooklyn in any real noticeable amounts aren't going to give up the subway to Manhattan for a bus to the BAT for the ferry.....

I'd sooner make some alterations to some of the express routes (current x27 and all-day SIM routes or certain close relatives getting trips that make stops on Third Avenue in addition to ones that run with the existing stop patterns) for Manhattan service, and that would require a level of investment that we don't seem to be willing to reach.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so, how about having the B35 extended to New Lots Av, and extending the B35 to BAT during summer months?

Now, I moved down to the Bay Ridge Area, I was thinking of doing this:

B10 (formerly western portion of B4 + eastern portion of B82) Bay Ridge to Spring Creek Towers via Bay Ridge Pkwy + Kings Hwy.

B11: Coney Island - New Lots Av

2hQbnsG.png

S3hw4jT.png

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The reason for splitting the B4, B6 & B82 is to reduce the needs for turns. There's no reason why the B82 should be ending at Bensonhurst when it can be extended to Bay Ridge to make it a true crosstown line. Same thing with the B4.

Okay, but who are you trying to serve? The ridership between the individual B5 and B50 portions is already not the greatest, nor is general ridership on the B5 stretch. Maybe you'd get some people between Flatbush Avenue and 18th Avenue, but they're probably only going to pan as far east as the Brighton Line from the existing B4 route if they even ride past McDonald Avenue.

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Okay, but who are you trying to serve? The ridership between the individual B5 and B50 portions is already not the greatest, nor is general ridership on the B5 stretch. Maybe you'd get some people between Flatbush Avenue and 18th Avenue, but they're probably only going to pan as far east as the Brighton Line from the existing B4 route if they even ride past McDonald Avenue.

I'm trying to serve a Crosstown market. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That just comes off as a solution in search of a problem. I really can't imagine there's much of any demand between the current B4 west of Kings Highway and any part of the former B50. What, exactly, would be the main draw for this?

On 9/15/2021 at 1:16 PM, Lawrence St said:

Ok so, how about having the B35 extended to New Lots Av, and extending the B35 to BAT during summer months?

Yeah, cool, run the B35 to New Lots (L)... General agreement with the suggestion..... Realistically though (and not your bastardized version of what encompasses realism either), the Issue though is that there's nowhere to put all those buses along the route (assuming you don't plan on going full retard & suggesting cutting a shit ton of service to facilitate buses ending there) in the immediate vicinity of that subway station....

As for the Brooklyn Army Terminal bit, you say that it's going to be a 5 minute addition of runtime down along 1st av., when it would be anything but.... Introducing the route to all them dam trucks (incl. whole 18 wheeler's) making deliveries/pickups (street-side or pulling in/out of docks) anywhere along that first 1/2 mile (down to around 49th/50th), for as few riders that would benefit from having the thing extended down there, is not conducive to making the thing anymore efficient... Running it over there during summers only would be much ado about nothing... Sure, the current terminal of the B35 over there on 39th/1st isn't ideal, but there isn't much of a point to exacerbating matters by having it run south of 39th - given everything else that plagues the B35 from end to end.... To fail to consider this would be willfully ignorant....

On 9/15/2021 at 6:00 PM, Lawrence St said:

The reason for splitting the B4, B6 & B82 is to reduce the needs for turns. There's no reason why the B82 should be ending at Bensonhurst when it can be extended to Bay Ridge to make it a true crosstown line. Same thing with the B4.

There's "no reason" for the B82 from the east to run to Bay Ridge either, so there's that.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:49 AM, Lawrence St said:

Latent demand for having the B82 run along Bay Ridge Pkwy. is so low, it may as well be literally zero.... Delusional to believe that a bus route serving this "crosstown market" would flourish, or remotely come close to doing so.....

On 9/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, Lex said:

That just comes off as a solution in search of a problem. I really can't imagine there's much of any demand between the current B4 west of Kings Highway and any part of the former B50. What, exactly, would be the main draw for this?

Of those that take buses in & south of the central part of Brooklyn here, the Brighton line is a line of demarcation for the lion's share of Brooklynites that live well east of it; esp. over there in B6 & B82 territory.... You're also a Brooklynite, you know this.

I thought about it, but it's like what's the point in doing a breakdown of ridership patterns of all the east-west buses here in Brooklyn south of Prospect Park, as it's going to fall on blind eyes with this guy.... It's evident he's not trying to understand or soak in much of what's being said to him, when he spews vague ass answers to questions he's being asked about his own ideas (as if to say, here's an answer, now shut up)... What took the cake AFAIC is the derision of one of his own ideas! This is what we're dealing with here.....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I thought about it, but it's like what's the point in doing a breakdown of ridership patterns of all the east-west buses here in Brooklyn south of Prospect Park, as it's going to fall on blind eyes with this guy.... It's evident he's not trying to understand or soak in much of what's being said to him, when he spews vague ass answers to questions he's being asked about his own ideas (as if to say, here's an answer, now shut up)... What took the cake AFAIC is the derision of one of his own ideas! This is what we're dealing with here.....

I actually do listen and understand. He said that wasn't going to work, so I scrapped the idea.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Would combining the x27 & x28 be good in terms or gaining ridership?

No, for god's sake, please. In reality, that would slow the commute to Manhattan on top of using heavy traffic of the BQE. Eventually, it'll push ridership to the subway which may makes the express buses useless..... Let those areas have their routes and keep the trip directly to their start/finish destinations....

In my experience riding the peak runs they both have enough ridership to be kept separate.

I know on the map the Bay Ridge Express bus pick up/drop off portion in Brooklyn looks short but its actually a lot longer than the map portrays it as.

I was surprised the first time I rode the Bay Ridge express bus how long it took to get to the last stop once it got off the BQE.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I don’t know about that, but how about this idea. Combining the QM4 and QM1. Maybe instead of having the QM4 go north on 164 St, have it head south to 73 Ave, then down to 188 St, and then up to 64 Ave. This would guarantee the QM4 some additional off peak ridership and let the QM5 avoid looping around Fresh Meadows. Yeah 188 St north of 73 Ave would lose a bus off peak, but they are still close enough that if people really wanted to they could walk to the QM5. Do you think this would be a good idea?

On 9/15/2021 at 1:16 PM, Lawrence St said:

Now, I moved down to the Bay Ridge Area, I was thinking of doing this:

B10 (formerly western portion of B4 + eastern portion of B82) Bay Ridge to Spring Creek Towers via Bay Ridge Pkwy + Kings Hwy.

B11: Coney Island - New Lots Av

2hQbnsG.png

S3hw4jT.png

So was it agreed that combining the B4 & B82 will deter ridership?

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Alright, here's some new routes:

B10: (Formerly B2 + western portion of the B82) Avenue V to Coney Island via Bensonhurst.

B12: (Formerly B82) Spring Creek Towers to Ave V.

B44 LCL: Southern Terminal Rerouted via Gerritsen & Knapp St to Ocean Av & Ave Z. 

No map?

40 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can someone explain why the B35 short turns from Mother Gatson Blvd to McDonald Av and not from Sunset Park to McDonald Av?

Only the local short turns at McDonald Ave while the Limited runs the full route. Similar to how B6 locals short turn at Rock Park station or CI Ave.

My guess is it makes the locals more reliable.

Can someone explain why the B35 short turns from Mother Gatson Blvd to McDonald Av and not from Sunset Park to McDonald Av?

If you've ever used the B35, you'd notice that Church Avenue has far higher use than 39th Street. On top of that, the B70 runs along/near it west of 8th Avenue.