45ft ElDorado National Axess BRT to debut in 2022

JLiu15

I'm a student at Rutgers University, and according to what I've heard, next year, ElDorado National will be introducing a 45ft version of the Axess and Rutgers University will be the first recipient. We will just get one unit as like a pilot bus, along with 10 new 40' ElDorado Axess BRTs (AFAIK the order has been placed, but not sure if they are being built yet). If all goes according to the plan, this will be very interesting, and I'm guessing the 45' Axess will be popular with agencies like LACMTA, which has been getting Axess BRTs in recent years and has a large fleet of 45' NABIs, and when they retire the 45' Axess will be a good replacement for that.

Once again, this is just what I've heard so far, and if any of you know information about this, please let me know!

50 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

I'm a student at Rutgers University, and according to what I've heard, next year, ElDorado National will be introducing a 45ft version of the Axess and Rutgers University will be the first recipient. We will just get one unit as like a pilot bus, along with 10 new 40' ElDorado Axess BRTs (AFAIK the order has been placed, but not sure if they are being built yet). If all goes according to the plan, this will be very interesting, and I'm guessing the 45' Axess will be popular with agencies like LACMTA, which has been getting Axess BRTs in recent years and has a large fleet of 45' NABIs, and when they retire the 45' Axess will be a good replacement for that.

Once again, this is just what I've heard so far, and if any of you know information about this, please let me know!

Take those things with the smallest grain of salt possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

According to an email I received from the Rutgers transportation manager, this bus should be arriving in 2023, in year 2 of a multi-year order of new ElDorado Axess buses for Rutgers. Year 1 (2022) will bring 10 40' buses, and years 2-4 (2022-2025) will bring five 40' buses each, with the 45' demo part of year 2 (2023). So chances are, this bus is still just a concept at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, Cait Sith said:

Chances are it won't.

I would've waited until there's something official. It's kind of a bad look when folks jump the gun.

On 11/22/2021 at 1:25 PM, JLiu15 said:

According to an email I received from the Rutgers transportation manager, this bus should be arriving in 2023, in year 2 of a multi-year order of new ElDorado Axess buses for Rutgers. Year 1 (2022) will bring 10 40' buses, and years 2-4 (2022-2025) will bring five 40' buses each, with the 45' demo part of year 2 (2023). So chances are, this bus is still just a concept at this point.

Yep, its currently in the works. I interned with a company this summer that is working with ElDorado to get this going. ElDorado is currently working on the 45ft Axess BRT. Rutgers will be the first to test the demo. 

@JLiu15 this would be a great replacement for some of the 45ft NABIs at LACMTA. Some of the 45ft NABIS will be replaced with 60ft artics. 

• 11 months later...

It looks like the 45ft ElDorado is most likely cancelled for Rutgers. No official word on it yet, but the manager here isn't too confident on it. It was originally scheduled to be delivered and tested in summer 2023. This does not affect the 25 upcoming 40ft ENC Axess BRTs on order for 2023-2025 though.

Honestly a 45ft bus is not the most practical for Rutgers, as there are a number of tight turns that even 40ft buses sometimes struggle to make. I also heard from another person that it's unlikely LACMTA will be going for 45ft buses to replace their NABI 45Cs and instead opting to only go for 40fts and 60fts. Given that LACMTA was theoretically the best recipient for such a bus, I'm not even sure if the 45ft ENC will be produced. Even if it is, I doubt many transit agencies would buy it as very few agencies (with LACMTA being a notable exception) uses 45ft transit buses.