Passenger information

marc224

Hello, it's Marc

I have a question and would appreciate if you could help me. I was told that you are the right people to talk to. It's about the history of bus service in New York, more specifically bus stop announcements and displays.

I had a conversation with an acquaintance about bus stop announcements and displays in the 1980s and 1990s. I will also be doing a paper in class on this topic (public transportation).

My first question is, when did automatic bus stop announcements and displays start?

Before there were automatic stop announcements and displays on buses, did bus drivers have to call out the stops into the microphone?

Did bus drivers really do that when they had to announce the stops themselves?

What was it like in New York?

Are there any of you bus drivers or other people who have ridden the bus a lot since that time (1970) but especially 1980/1990s and also in the 2000s and know what it was like in reality or experienced it yourself?

And how is it today, when the automatic stop announcements and displays fail, do the bus drivers also announce the stops over the microphone?

I look forward to your answer

With kind regards

Marc

1. Automated announcements became a thing starting around... 2018. Before that earlier models were tested on certain buses. It was rolled out around 2018 with the then newest order of buses and the retrofitting of some older models. There are some buses that haven't gotten the announcement systems still or have been skipped over. 

2. It's required for bus operators under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to call out bus stops if there isn't an automated system calling them out. It's federal law. However, with NYC's transit system being heavy on stops, it's kinda redundant to have to call out every single stop on one of our lines. Some routes could have as many as 120+ stops in both directions! Instead, we are required to call out major transfer points and points of interest if applicable. 

3. There is a microphone on some of our buses that allows us to record quick announcements using a foot pedal near the seat. It isn't very good but it works. We also have the option of using the PA system but that requires actually using your hands to operate. 

4. If the automated system isn't working, yes we are still required to call out the major stops but not everyone is going to do that because habits are hard to break.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:34 PM, marc224 said:

Hello, it's Marc

I have a question and would appreciate if you could help me. I was told that you are the right people to talk to. It's about the history of bus service in New York, more specifically bus stop announcements and displays.

I had a conversation with an acquaintance about bus stop announcements and displays in the 1980s and 1990s. I will also be doing a paper in class on this topic (public transportation).

My first question is, when did automatic bus stop announcements and displays start?

Before there were automatic stop announcements and displays on buses, did bus drivers have to call out the stops into the microphone?

Did bus drivers really do that when they had to announce the stops themselves?

What was it like in New York?

Are there any of you bus drivers or other people who have ridden the bus a lot since that time (1970) but especially 1980/1990s and also in the 2000s and know what it was like in reality or experienced it yourself?

And how is it today, when the automatic stop announcements and displays fail, do the bus drivers also announce the stops over the microphone?

I look forward to your answer

With kind regards

Marc

Hello, thank you for your interesting news.

I still have a few questions if I may.

Can someone also tell me how it was in the 1970 and 1980s?

Were in the 1970 and 1980 er years also already the stops announced by the driver or only from 1990 ? Can anyone tell me?

To P3F: how high would you estimate the quota of the drivers (percentage) who kept to announcing the most important stops from yerars 2000 to 2010?

Rather 50 percent or 80 percent?

To: Sospectacular : You said that only the most important stops are announced, this is also consistently implemented by the drivers?

How many of the 120 stops are announced by the bus drivers?

Or do many not do it?

Are there no complaints when drivers don't announce the stops? 

Have you both been frequent ferry passengers on the New York buses

I look forward to more information

Regards Marc

9 hours ago, marc224 said:

Can anyone tell me anything else about the bus stop announcements of the past ?

Did anyone remember how the bus drivers announced the stops in the 1980s, for example ?

or can someone answer my unanswered questions? 

many greetings 

marc

9 hours ago, marc224 said:

Back in the '80's Bus Operators did not announce the stops.   They started doing so when NYCT ordered them to start doing it as part of the ADA, to help out the riders who were not familiar with the line to know their stop and to help those with vision problems.  In the past, if you weren't sure where you were going, you would notify the operator of your destination and he would call it out when the bus got there.