Passenger information

marc224

Hello, it's Marc

I have a question and would appreciate if you could help me. I was told that you are the right people to talk to. It's about the history of bus service in New Jersey, more specifically bus stop announcements and displays.

I had a conversation with an acquaintance about bus stop announcements and displays in the 1980s and 1990s/2000s. I will also be doing a paper in class on this topic (public transportation).

My first question is, when did automatic bus stop announcements and displays start?

Before there were automatic stop announcements and displays on buses, did bus drivers have to call out the stops into the microphone?

Did bus drivers really do that when they had to announce the stops themselves?

What was it like in New Jersey

Are there any of you bus drivers or other people who have ridden the bus a lot since that time (1970) but especially 1980/1990s and also in the 2000s and know what it was like in reality or experienced it yourself?

And how is it today, when the automatic stop announcements and displays fail, do the bus drivers also announce the stops over the microphone?

I look forward to your answer

With kind regards