Flixbus acquires Greyhound

GojiMet86

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211020006193/en/

FlixMobility Acquires Greyhound to Expand U.S. Intercity Bus Services

- Combination of FlixBus and Greyhound will be able to better serve U.S. intercity bus service passengers
- Addresses significant opportunity from increased U.S. demand for affordable, sustainable, collective mobility

October 21, 2021 02:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time

DALLAS & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--FlixMobility (“the Company”), global mobility provider of the FlixBus and FlixTrain brands, announced today it has acquired Greyhound Lines, Inc. (“Greyhound”), the largest provider of long-distance bus transportation in the United States, from FirstGroup plc. This acquisition marks another important step in FlixMobility’s vision to provide easy-to-use, affordable, and environmentally friendly travel for consumers across the globe.

The purchase brings together FlixBus’ innovative global technology and shared mobility expertise with Greyhound’s iconic nationwide presence and experience, creating a company that will be better able to service the needs of intercity bus travelers in the U.S. Intercity bus lines were a lifeline during the pandemic for communities and essential workers, and as economies re-open, they will be a tremendous driver for sustainable growth across the country. The FlixBus Global network serves over 2,500 destinations in 36 countries outside of the U.S. with 400,000 daily connections. Greyhound currently connects approximately 2,400 destinations across North America with nearly 16 million passengers each year.

André Schwämmlein, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of FlixMobility, said, “Consumers across North America are increasingly seeking affordable, comfortable, smart and sustainable mobility solutions. A compelling offering will draw significantly more travelers away from private cars to shared intercity bus mobility. Together, FlixBus and Greyhound will be better able to meet this increased demand. As our business continues to recover from the effects of the pandemic, we will replicate the success that we have already achieved in 36 countries outside of the U.S. with our innovative and customer centric approach.”

Buses as a sustainable and accessible alternative are now more important than ever. Fluctuations in the cost of gas, the recent escalation of car prices, and climate change concerns have increased the interest of many consumers in finding alternatives to individual car usage. FlixMobility is operating at the forefront of this global mega-trend, and the acquisition of the iconic Greyhound business will help the company realize its vision to offer sustainable and affordable travel to everyone.

Jochen Engert, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of FlixMobility, commented, “The continuous expansion of our services through partnerships and acquisitions has always been an integral part of our growth strategy to build our global presence. The acquisition of Greyhound is a major step forward in the US. The FlixBus and Greyhound teams share a common vision to make smart, affordable and sustainable mobility accessible to all."

David Martin, Executive Chairman, FirstGroup plc said: “The sale of Greyhound to FlixMobility is part of our portfolio rationalization strategy to refocus FirstGroup on its leading UK public transport businesses. The strength of Greyhound is its people, and I would like to thank them for their unwavering commitment to their customers and communities. As part of FlixMobility, I am confident that Greyhound will be well placed to continue to grow and develop their iconic services for many years to come.”

FirstGroup has reached agreement with Neptune Holding Inc. (the 'Buyer'), a corporation 100% controlled by FlixMobility, to sell Greyhound Lines, Inc., the US Greyhound operating business (including its vehicle fleet, trademarks, and certain other assets and liabilities) for an enterprise value on a debt-free / cash-free basis of c.$46m plus unconditional deferred consideration of $32m with an interest rate of 5% per annum.

For more information see www.firstgroup.com.

FlixMobility was started in Germany in 2013 by Jochen Engert, Daniel Krauss and André Schwämmlein to deliver a revolutionary means of travel that combined technological advances, e-commerce capabilities, and sustainable transportation. Over the past eight years, the company has demonstrated significant success, with FlixBus growing to become Europe’s largest intercity bus network, helping more than 62 million people in 2019 reach their destinations.

FlixBus USA launched in 2018 with destinations across the Southwest, including Los Angeles, CA, Las Vegas, NV, and Phoenix, AZ. Since then, the Company has expanded its operations to facilitate travel between additional cities in the Southwest, South, Northeast and Pacific Northwest.

About Flix

FlixMobility is mobility provider, offering new alternatives for convenient, affordable and environmentally friendly travel via the FlixBus and FlixTrain brands. With a unique approach and innovative technology, the company has quickly established Europe's largest long-distance bus network and launched the first green long-distance trains in 2018 as well as a pilot project for all-electric buses in Germany, the US and France. Since 2013, FlixMobility has changed the way hundreds of millions of people have traveled throughout Europe and created tens of thousands of new jobs in the mobility industry. In 2018, FlixMobility launched FlixBus USA to bring this new travel alternative to the United States.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

WTF! I've been looking into a bus to take to Philly from NYC and thought Flixbus was an low budget, Chinatown bus type service. I didn't know they had $$$ like that to acquire Greyhound.

It's not that Flixbus has a lot of money - it's that First was really desperate to offload Greyhound from its portfolio.

22 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

WTF! I've been looking into a bus to take to Philly from NYC and thought Flixbus was an low budget, Chinatown bus type service. I didn't know they had $$$ like that to acquire Greyhound.

Flixbus is a fairly large company and is pretty much a greyhound equivalent to Europe, they even operate their own trains there. I’m not surprised they wanted to buy greyhound especially now that First Transit doesn’t want it. Currently their US model is similar to that of OurBus, where they don’t operate the buses themselves but rather sell tickets for smaller companies who would otherwise go unnoticed. What really surprised me is how fast they grew in the US but it makes sense since all the routes they have are not operated by them. Now that they have greyhound, they have their own fleet that’s not dependent on partnerships. So I wonder if this will be the end for greyhound or if Flixbus will leave the brand as is. 

On 10/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, trainfan22 said:

In the northeast they took over Eastern Bus, so your assumptions weren't too far off.

And apparently, they actually had raised some $650 million this year specifically for an expansion like this.

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine Greyhound being bought up by a direct competitor tho. Maybe by a private investment firm, but not taken over by a competitor.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, 67thAve said:

It's not that Flixbus has a lot of money - it's that First was really desperate to offload Greyhound from its portfolio.

Another man's trash, another man's treasure, I suppose....

Greyhound saw almost 50% revenue losses this past calendar year alone.... It wasn't even 10 years ago when revenue was over a billion dollars.... Now it's sitting somewhere around 400 something million....

On 10/22/2021 at 10:39 AM, IAlam said:

Flixbus is a fairly large company and is pretty much a greyhound equivalent to Europe, they even operate their own trains there.

Yeah, Flixbus is somewhat akin to Greyhound, but FlixMobility (which is the large, parent company) is comprised of FlixBus, FlixTrain, and FlixCar....