New F Trains on the Way!

AJ023

November 8, 2008

New F Trains on the Way!

Hey there fellow F train straphangers, good news is rolling into a station near you sometime soon. Control Geek has a report from this morning: "I was waiting for the F subway at 15th Street/Prospect Park Brooklyn this morning and a brand new train came in! Apparently they were testing it, it had the automated announcements and everything. To keep people from boarding, they were opening the doors on the wrong side." Lost City also spotted the test trains (and their "folding, Paris-Metro-like seats") a few weeks ago. Now that the F has caught up and ditched the yellow, orange and brown color scheme...is it time to work on the seatless subways of the future?

Source - http://www.gothamist.com

Has there been more deliveries of R160 to the Jamaica Yard or are people still seeing the same test train?

November 8, 2008

New F Trains on the Way!

Hey there fellow F train straphangers, good news is rolling into a station near you sometime soon. Control Geek has a report from this morning: "I was waiting for the F subway at 15th Street/Prospect Park Brooklyn this morning and a brand new train came in! Apparently they were testing it, it had the automated announcements and everything. To keep people from boarding, they were opening the doors on the wrong side." Lost City also spotted the test trains (and their "folding, Paris-Metro-like seats") a few weeks ago. Now that the F has caught up and ditched the yellow, orange and brown color scheme...is it time to work on the seatless subways of the future?

Source - http://www.gothamist.com

Has there been more deliveries of R160 to the Jamaica Yard or are people still seeing the same test train?

They have been testing the R160s on the following Queens Blvd Lines (E)(F)(R). I do not think there are more deliveries to JY. Safely sepeaking however, they would probably arrive in bulk next year. Now some pics from Control Geek:

HuntingtonFTrain2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1226171839265

HuntingtonFTrain1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1226171809618

HuntingtonFtrain3.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1226171864029

No cars numbers though.

I hope that was a test set, if that was a revenue service set, i'd kill you.....

Kidding :P

okay this is getting boring...wtf is with all the R160's? its very annoying...like paint one of those MF's red or some sh*t...switch it up something...man lol. If the r179's are real they better have some color 2 em or something...wud love a slant throwback...frickin blinking headlights...distinction please, (NYCT)

Guest Charles
r160f_filtered311.jpg

At my home station?! I better have my camera ready.

Well I think this set was in testing. I don't think the (F) had any service advisories this weekend.

If the r179's are real they better have some color 2 em or something...wud love a slant throwback...frickin blinking headlights...distinction please, (NYCT)

I would love it if 179s were slants. Considering that they knew they would be reefing them by now, they surely could have been considerate enough to acknowledge the feeling of loss among riders, and incorporate a slant to the design.

Then again, you have to realize who we're dealing with... :P

I would love it if 179s were slants. Considering that they knew they would be reefing them by now, they surely could have been considerate enough to acknowledge the feeling of loss among riders, and incorporate a slant to the design.

I was never a fan of the R-40 Slant design. I've only known it in its pre-GOH state with all of its gear at the slant-ends which I've always found ugly. However, with 4 or 5-car units, the slant design could be successful unlike it was R-40 married couples. Since the slant would only be at operating ends of the cars on 5-car units, there would be no need for the amount of pantograph-gates (gear) since no passengers would be able to pass between the cars, except during rare evacuations in which case the train would be stopped anyway. I've heard that the initially proposed design for the R-40S was going to have them in 4 or 5-car sets, which may have been why the slant-ends were designed in the first place.

That said, the streamlined styles are fading out in favor of the sleek black ends. It also looks like the (MTA) is moving towards a uniformed style the way they did in the 1970s with the "(NYCT) silver & blue" paint-scheme followed by the M1-based design of the R-40M–68s. I doubt we'll see any slants make a revival in the near future.

I was never a fan of the R-40 Slant design. I've only known it in its pre-GOH state with all of its gear at the slant-ends which I've always found ugly. However, with 4 or 5-car units, the slant design could be successful unlike it was R-40 married couples. Since the slant would only be at operating ends of the cars on 5-car units, there would be no need for the amount of pantograph-gates (gear) since no passengers would be able to pass between the cars, except during rare evacuations in which case the train would be stopped anyway. I've heard that the initially proposed design for the R-40S was going to have them in 4 or 5-car sets, which may have been why the slant-ends were designed in the first place.

That said, the streamlined styles are fading out in favor of the sleek black ends. It also looks like the (MTA) is moving towards a uniformed style the way they did in the 1970s with the "(NYCT) silver & blue" paint-scheme followed by the M1-based design of the R-40M–68s. I doubt we'll see any slants make a revival in the near future.

i mean that silver and blue thing was cool but the r160s are just so boring on the outside...those old style cars to me had something about them...but then again i bet people thought the same thing with the trains of back then so i guess in the year 2050 ill b like " r160's forever " lmao...i guess after time we learn 2 appreciate.

The pantograph gates would still be needed on the slanted ends to prevent passengers on the platform from falling between cars under the train while it is in the station. What won't be needed however is the stanchion braces between cars surrounding the storm door way

I don't mind the black and/or red color scheme, but it's a tragedy not to have a new slant. Even if there's no appreciable reduction in drag, it's damned cool looking.

While subway buffs like ourselves like the slant R40, design wise, the slants are a safety hazard to the public. They were a lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't think the MTA will approve any radical design like that anymore.

Archived