New F Trains on the Way!

AJ023

While subway buffs like ourselves like the slant R40, design wise, the slants are a safety hazard to the public. They were a lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't think the MTA will approve any radical design like that anymore.

Yeah u make a good point...i kinda feel guilty now...

yeah right, lmao, SLANTS FOREVER!!! ( i think im cheating on my r42's this weekend because of the slant on the (A)...theyll understand )

The only way a slant design will come into play is if it's angled and rounded, this way you actually have an advantage with aerodynamics. 5 car sets with modern streamlined pantograph gates that stow inside the front when not in use, plus the same for between the end doors. I have gone between cars from the front to the back on a 10 car set, and it really isn't any big deal at all. The doors should be M7 style where the cab door has 2 positions. At the front and back of the train you'd have it "open" to close off the end for the driver and whoever else, and in the middle of the train you'd have it "closed" so the C/R has a safe enclosed spot but can still switch between cars for platforms on alternating sides, also allowing passengers to cross between if needed.

It would totally work, be feasible, and so on, but as stated earlier in the thread we are dealing with the (MTA) here so yea.

- A

The doors should be M7 style where the cab door has 2 positions. At the front and back of the train you'd have it "open" to close off the end for the driver and whoever else, and in the middle of the train you'd have it "closed" so the C/R has a safe enclosed spot but can still switch between cars for platforms on alternating sides, also allowing passengers to cross between if needed.

It would totally work, be feasible, and so on, but as stated earlier in the thread we are dealing with the (MTA) here so yea.

- A

That's actually something to the effect we have on the (7)'s R62As... the doors can lock in two positions. However, instead of making the conductor switch between cars to get to both sides of the train, he has the door locked in the "open" position since he has a full width cab. And I don't think the (MTA) will go back to half-width cabs for conductors.

i mean that silver and blue thing was cool but the r160s are just so boring on the outside...those old style cars to me had something about them...but then again i bet people thought the same thing with the trains of back then so i guess in the year 2050 ill b like " r160's forever " lmao...i guess after time we learn 2 appreciate.

From what I've seen in photos and with the ToMC , I can't say I have much appreciation for the (NYCT) silver & blue scheme on any pre-R-32 equipment including redbirds. However, since the graffiti epidemic is long over, the TA should reconsider bringing color back to the fleet. Not an entire car-body, but something.

The pantograph gates would still be needed on the slanted ends to prevent passengers on the platform from falling between cars under the train while it is in the station. What won't be needed however is the stanchion braces between cars surrounding the storm door way

Since the TA hasn't used pantograph gates on any of the new tech equipment, I would think they would just use those spring chains (I always forget what they're called) which would be taken off or put aside as they are with NTTs and 75 footers at the front ends. So it wouldn't completely ruin the slant-look.

While subway buffs like ourselves like the slant R40, design wise, the slants are a safety hazard to the public. They were a lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't think the MTA will approve any radical design like that anymore.

Agreed.

Honestly, are you people for the aesthetics of the slant design? Or the fast speed? Or because of the window?

Since the TA hasn't used pantograph gates on any of the new tech equipment, I would think they would just use those spring chains (I always forget what they're called) which would be taken off or put aside as they are with NTTs and 75 footers at the front ends. So it wouldn't completely ruin the slant-look.

Ah OK, wasn't clear. Personally I prefer the gates to the springs, I think they do what they are supposed to more effectively, but the springs would be a suitable replacement "aka not this"

img_5178.jpg

Ah OK, wasn't clear. Personally I prefer the gates to the springs, I think they do what they are supposed to more effectively, but the springs would be a suitable replacement "aka not this"

I too prefer the gates, but they ruin the slant by hanging in the front. If they did use springs for a hypothetical new slant, they'd probably have to be longer or in some way different since they'd be covering a larger space. IMO, a new slant design (even in a 4 or 5 car set) would be more trouble than it's worth.

I too prefer the gates, but they ruin the slant by hanging in the front. If they did use springs for a hypothetical new slant, they'd probably have to be longer or in some way different since they'd be covering a larger space. IMO, a new slant design (even in a 4 or 5 car set) would be more trouble than it's worth.

Yup, and it would take away a small amount of space for passengers because the cab would have to be recessed slightly due to the slant. Cars are measured lengthwise at their anticlimbers so there would be unused space due to the slant.

Besides, the R40 is the only NYCT car to be slanted, so it makes the design unique...which in the future will make it more special when it's brought out for fantrips.

Yup, and it would take away a small amount of space for passengers because the cab would have to be recessed slightly due to the slant. Cars are measured lengthwise at their anticlimbers so there would be unused space due to the slant.

That's a negligible amount, and not a strong argument against them.

Besides, the R40 is the only NYCT car to be slanted, so it makes the design unique...which in the future will make it more special when it's brought out for fantrips.

That's nowhere near enough compensation for the loss of the entire slanted R40 fleet. Like Metsfan, I have little faith in the MTA on being considerate enough to factor that into future contracts.....but they should.

That's a negligible amount, and not a strong argument against them.

That's nowhere near enough compensation for the loss of the entire slanted R40 fleet. Like Metsfan, I have little faith in the MTA on being considerate enough to factor that into future contracts.....but they should.

but WHY? a negligible amount against slant design versus NO amount in favor of...I get that railfans like it, but railfans have never been, and never will be an operational consideration. Aerodynamics has been one reason given, but that effect is also negligible given increased acceleration rates on newer trains and the fact that due to service frequency trains run closer together and therefore at slower speeds. So why would they want to go "back to the drawing board" to come up with a new slant design??

You say "NO amount in favor of", but like all things, you only see that when it's too late. When they are gone, is when people will ask "Where did they go?" and "Will we have more?"

I think a fair amount, even a majority here, prefer the slanted design over current non-slants in revenue, even if it's just the aspect of the slant alone compared to the other aspects of the R40. I think most like the look of it, even if they criticize other aspects of it.

Look at it this way....Mustangs look very retro now. So do other new cars. Addidas and Nike are bringing back retro sneaker designs. All are modern in manufacture, but echo a high point in their histories. Like it or not, the slants are one of the most memorable and unique subway cars ever made. Maybe the most. Even if the R179s aren't a slant, I'd be very surprised that a future design won't be.

I just think that the most apropos time to introduce a new slant is when their predecessor is being laid to rest in the briny deep. If not, I think they will still come one day.

It sounds like they changed the announcement woman yet again. Why couldn't they just stick with woman who did the (4) and (6) announcements.

I'm not really seeing the point in the (F) running R160s. The (E) needs them more.

That woman is Dianne Thompson (who also made the announcements on the R-160A (A) when they testing it on them) and Jessica Ettinger from the (4)(5)(6)<6> is on the R-160B (N)(Q)(W) trains and the (F) needs them its to replace the R-32's on there

That is nice and by the way CurAke, how do you know the names?

I can tell by the voices Dianne Thompson is on the (2) *(5)<5>....also she's on the transfer announcements on the (M)(N)(Q)/ Manhattan bound annoucements on the (N) and she's on the Coney Island bound annoucements on the (Q). Also on the R-160A tested on the (A) back in 2006

Examples:

Dianne Thompson on the (M) @ Fulton Street: transfer is available to the (2)(3)(4)(5)(A) and (C) trains

Dianne Thompson on the (N) @ Astoria Blvd: transfer is available to the M60 bus to LaGuardia Airport

@ Times Square-42nd Street (sometimes): Jessica Ettinger transfer is available to the (1)(2)(3)(7)(A)(C)(E)(Q)(R) and (W) trains transfer is available to the (S) to Grand Central, Dianne: connection is available to Port Authority Bus Terminal

@ 34th Street-Herald Square: Jessica Ettinger transfer is available to the (;)(D)(F)(Q)(R)(V) and (W) trains, Dianne: connection is available to PATH

Manhattan bound on the Sea Beach/4th Avenue or Astoria Lines

Dianne Thompson: This is a Manhattan bound (N) train

Coney Island bound on the Brighton Line

Dianne Thompson: This is a Coney Island bound (Q) train

*Used to be before the train got reprogrammed

They were testing R160s on the (E) as well. But I think the (F) gets them first due to the fact that Coney Island is almost 50% R160s. Giving them to the (F) would be 75% R160s. The (E) needs them alot more, the TA did a bad move by adding the rust buckets of R42s onto that line. If they added the R40 Mods, it would be alot better, as they are in better condition.

The (E) and (F) should get the R160B and R160A cars soon, I would like to see them have full time service on the (A) too.

I would love to see them on the (A) also, but b/c of the power in the Rockaways is the reason why they can't be on the (A), that's why they testing them inb/w Howard Beach-JFK and Broad Channel stations

I would love to see them on the (A) also, but b/c of the power in the Rockaways is the reason why they can't be on the (A), that's why they testing them inb/w Howard Beach-JFK and Broad Channel stations

You are talking about those test tracks between Howard Beach and Broad channel, on the (A), that makes sense. Now going back to the topic, the R160A/B cars would be great for the (F), and the R32's will be removed from the (F) then. I am looking forward for a R160 (F).

You are talking about those test tracks between Howard Beach and Broad channel, on the (A), that makes sense. Now going back to the topic, the R160A/B cars would be great for the (F), and the R32's will be removed from the (F) then. I am looking forward for a R160 (F).

The removal of R32's on the F is even better news.

Archived