R32 Retirement Run

nightmare402

END OF THE YEAR, END OF AN ERA
R-32 FAREWELL TRIP

R-32 subway cars are making their final trip, ending 58 years of service in New York City. Please join us to say farewell to this historic fleet. 

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/r32/

Well its official the R32's are retiring 

Edited by nightmare402

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite this OFFICIAL retirement run, rest assured that if NYCT needs the R32's in storge to run if the R179's mess up again, or for that matter the first of the R211's, the R32's would make a comeback.

I think the chances are 99% it won't happen, but this exceedingly small possibility can't be taken off the table in order to make service in case of some "disaster" with some other equipment, the remaining cars would  be subject to come out of storage until the time they go into 207th Main shop to be prepared to leave the property to go to wherever they are going,

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Despite this OFFICIAL retirement run, rest assured that if NYCT needs the R32's in storge to run if the R179's mess up again, or for that matter the first of the R211's, the R32's would make a comeback.

I think the chances are 99% it won't happen, but this exceedingly small possibility can't be taken off the table in order to make service in case of some "disaster" with some other equipment, the remaining cars would  be subject to come out of storage until the time they go into 207th Main shop to be prepared to leave the property to go to wherever they are going,

IMHO They should have waited until at least the first R211's pass their 30 day test and in service. All they need is six R211A's in service to kill off the remaining R32's since the first half of the R32's fleet was replaced by R179's. I think with the crew shortage and the R211's they are sure they don't need the R32's anymore which isn't a wise choice.

16 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder why they replaced the holiday train Arines with R32s? 

Over the years I've ridden R32s on most of the trackage these final runs will travel over except for Broadway and SAS. I remember the R32 (Q) train in 2005 and the R32 (B) train during my high school years. 

i believe they replaced them because they exploded at essex st

18 minutes ago, nightmare402 said:

i believe they replaced them because they exploded at essex st

That incident wasn't the trains fault, train didn't suffer damage either so that can't be the reason.

IMO it's an odd choice cause the Arines have more appeal to non railfans than R32s do. The non railfan photographers doing period pieces photoshoots with models, the bands, the ceiling fans, the unique seats, the "awe" factor from regular riders etc. R32s are quite bland in comparison. 

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

IMO it's an odd choice cause the Arines have more appeal to non railfans than R32s do. The non railfan photographers doing period pieces photoshoots with models, the bands, the ceiling fans, the unique seats, the "awe" factor from regular riders etc. R32s are quite bland in comparison. 

I'm pretty sure they're not doing the R1-9s because they want to limit crowding on account of concerns over this whole coronavirus thing.  Personally, considering how many people have already been fully vaccinated in NYC and the surrounding area, I think it's a bit ridiculous for the government and public sector more broadly to continue mandating all sorts of limitations, but politicians gonna politick, as usual.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

I'm pretty sure they're not doing the R1-9s because they want to limit crowding on account of concerns over this whole coronavirus thing.  Personally, considering how many people have already been fully vaccinated in NYC and the surrounding area, I think it's a bit ridiculous for the government and public sector more broadly to continue mandating all sorts of limitations, but politicians gonna politick, as usual.

Have you tried cleaning rattan seats?

Some people have yet to get boosters, some refuse to get vaccinated, and some will still get COVID in spite of being vaccinated (increasingly nasty variants will make this more likely). Sure, many in the area may be vaccinated, but what about those outside of the area? AnimeNYC happened only a couple of weeks ago and a man from Minnesota tested positive for COVID, along with many in his group. Thankfully, that man was vaccinated and received a booster, but what if he hadn't and was still allowed in? (For that matter, how many are running around NYC while unvaccinated, all by choice?) This is all on top of what was already predicted to be a brutal flu season, which is a double whammy that we really don't need in the middle of a global pandemic. Oh, and there are far too many who also refuse to wear masks, which only serves to worsen the situation.

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I rather them run an R32 as a holiday train vs a 9 car R1/9 with dirty ass boomers who don't wipe their own ass. Having this pandemic plus being on a train of dirty rail fans  is a bad combo plus all the hipsters who dress like it's 1931. Those R1/9's get overcrowded as well. At least with the Smee's you have the younger fans (Not much better) but less than what you'll get on the R1/9's.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:19 PM, trainfan22 said:

In addition to what was previously said, which are all good points, I have two things to add:

First, with more and more people getting vaccinated for COVID-19, it seems that this new Omicron variant is not as severe, especially when it comes to deaths. Therefore, in an effort to try to get things back to normal, in addition to "killing two birds with one stone," it would make sense to have this R32 Farewell Run on multiple Sundays, compared to just one day like they did with the R42 Farewell Run.

Second, one of the many things which was posted on this Twitter page is the picture below, in which, you can see right above the star, the author posted a comment in which "Seeing this stuff run is a million times better than running that crap at work." Therefore, while the agency investigates this, especially with the older Nostalgia Trains, it would make sense to run the R32s in the meantime, especially since they don't have to go into a "relay" or anything to that nature. After all, according to TripPlanner, it takes an hour to get from Brighton Beach to 96th Street, so that should solve the problem while this investigation is underway.

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

Second, one of the many things which was posted on this Twitter page is the picture below, in which, you can see right above the star, the author posted a comment in which "Seeing this stuff run is a million times better than running that crap at work." Therefore, while the agency investigates this, especially with the older Nostalgia Trains, it would make sense to run the R32s in the meantime, especially since they don't have to go into a "relay" or anything to that nature. After all, according to TripPlanner, it takes an hour to get from Brighton Beach to 96th Street, so that should solve the problem while this investigation is underway.

Investigate what?

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

In addition to what was previously said, which are all good points, I have two things to add:

First, with more and more people getting vaccinated for COVID-19, it seems that this new Omicron variant is not as severe, especially when it comes to deaths. Therefore, in an effort to try to get things back to normal, in addition to "killing two birds with one stone," it would make sense to have this R32 Farewell Run on multiple Sundays, compared to just one day like they did with the R42 Farewell Run.

Woods_Forums.jpg

Investigate something today pertaining to a post from 2015?

2 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Woods_Forums.jpg

Im lost...what is the agency investigating?

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Investigate what?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Im lost...what is the agency investigating?

Unauthorized personnel being on the property, which includes the storage yards and having people around 3rd rails who are not Track Certified. If you need more evidence, I would encourage you to check out this and this link, which comes from this YouTube video. Should be self-explanatory.

Edited by +Young+
Important Addition

53 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Unauthorized personnel being on the property, which includes the storage yards and having people around 3rd rails who are not Track Certified. If you need more evidence, I would encourage you to check out this and this link, which comes from this YouTube video. Should be self-explanatory.

But why would they cancel the whole thing over some random dude? That's what I don't understand.

Well this thread took an odd turn.. some random employee of another rail system is going places on NYCT property he doesn't belong and what does MTA do? Swap the R1-9s with R32s??? The second tweet seems like some internal MTA drama that an Twitter page leaked to the public. I'm am so lost as to how these two situations are connected..

And plenty of boomers/older railfans will attend these trips, R32s debuted in 1964, that was an long time ago. If they wanted to to keep older railfans away they would run an R160 decked out in Christmas decorations as an Holiday train with some random celebrity doing specialized automated announcements.

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Well this thread took an odd turn.. some random employee of another rail system is going places on NYCT property he doesn't belong and what does MTA do? Swap the R1-9s with R32s??? The second tweet seems like some internal MTA drama that an Twitter page leaked to the public. I'm am so lost as to how these two situations are connected..

And plenty of boomers/older railfans will attend these trips, R32s debuted in 1964, that was an long time ago. If they wanted to to keep older railfans away they would run an R160 decked out in Christmas decorations as an Holiday train with some random celebrity doing specialized automated announcements.

I mean... (MTA) is going after a kid for putting retro depot stickers on buses...so I wouldn't be surprised.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm am so lost as to how these two situations are connected..

To make a long story short: This only happens around the older Nostalgia Trains. If you want to see more evidence, send me a Private Message (PM) and I'll be more than happy to share this with you. If I get bombarded with several Private Messages (PMs) in regards to this, I'll post it for everybody to see.

12 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not to be this guy, but I'm wondering if the MTA has enough spare trains for the lettered lines even if the R32s had a set departure. Or that they'll have a wait till the R211s show in passenger service. 

Watch the daily news be like "(MTA) says they don't have enough operators to run service, but have enough to run useless old train farewell trips."

20 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I hate to break it to you, but that's completely irrelevant as to why the arnines are not running and the R32s are lol....

37 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I hate to break it to you, but that's completely irrelevant as to why the arnines are not running and the R32s are lol....

I understand where you're coming from, however, we'll see what happens as time progresses. After all, none of the older Nostalgia Trains have ran since before the pandemic began, and with the fact that the evidence I previously posted is self-explanatory...we'll see what happens as time progresses.

Edited by +Young+