Red and Tan (Rockland Coaches) closing?

JAzumah

2 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I heard a rumor that Red and Tan is closing. Is that true?

If so, are their routes moving to ShortLine & Community Coach or did the area not really pick back up and those routes are being discontinued?

Well, they've been operating limited service on several routes during rush hours ever since they came back (and only from PABT until recently). A big reduction from pre-pandemic daily service out of PABT and GWB. So IDK how much of it is actually because of the lack of ridership, instead of the lack of service turning away riders.

40 minutes ago, njbus86 said:

When are they shutting down?  What is happening to (what's left of) their routes?  Is someone else taking them over?  

According to Facebook, they are being offered jobs at Community.

I have heard nothing about where their routes are going, but the (past) plan was to squeeze them in at ShortLine. It looks like the towel has been thrown in on the 14E and 21T permanently because they are not listed in the "Service Advisories" listing, but the 20, 45, and 49/47 are the only services that have some density right now. 

5 hours ago, davemackey said:

They have about 40 buses they haven't even broken the seal on yet. They'll probably be transferred somewhere else within Coach, re-inspected (their spec inspections are all lapsed) and registered.

It would not surprise me if a few ended up at Academy or Lakeland.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Would it make sense to have those buses integrated over to Shortline. Since shortline does most of the work in Orange and Putnam counties. Rockland county would be the logical choice for shortline to take over the routes.  

I suspect that is what is happening, but Community does a lot of college charters, so they may need the actual drivers more.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Would it make sense to have those buses integrated over to Shortline. Since shortline does most of the work in Orange and Putnam counties. Rockland county would be the logical choice for shortline to take over the routes.  

How far is the Community Coach garage to Rockand County?  

The Community Coach garage is in Paramus, right on 17 North. It's about 8 miles south of the Westwood garage, not far.

I am guessing this means at minimum there will be no expansion of current (very low) service levels on the Rockland routes. :(

Edited by pkim87

7 hours ago, pkim87 said:

The Community Coach garage is in Paramus, right on 17 North. It's about 8 miles south of the Westwood garage, not far.

I am guessing this means at minimum there will be no expansion of current (very low) service levels on the Rockland routes. :(

I went to Westwood to take D4000s from Lakeland to that Westwood garage.  Forgot which exit it was, but there was a really big hill once you got off the Parkway.  It’s no fun when you’re driving a bus with a blown turbo up that hill🤦‍♂️

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I called customer service today. The guy said that if enough people call for route 14 then they might consider resuming service. I live in river vale and this bus was really the only possible way for me to commute without relying on a lift.

W9nder if anyone is interested in trying to call or collect signed petition. To re instantiate the service. The agent confirmed that it wasn't gone forever.