R160B In HO Scale!!! (Siemens Anyone?)

Are you seriose? is that what there selling or did you paint that because the 160 looks like it was in a fire. No way I would spend that kind of money that there asking for that.

they come unpainted. its best to use an airbrish to apply an even layer. A flat silver primer is best to start with. aviod using gloss as you will lose the detail.

Old schoolers like me use flat based paint, fine brissle brushes(different sizes), and a lot of patience. Dont rush the paint job and aviod painting layers as you will lose detail with that as well.

they come unpainted. its best to use an airbrish to apply an even layer. A flat silver primer is best to start with. aviod using gloss as you will lose the detail.

Old schoolers like me use flat based paint, fine brissle brushes(different sizes), and a lot of patience. Dont rush the paint job and aviod painting layers as you will lose detail with that as well.

so in other words, this kid painted the cars thats wrong so thats why they look like their melting?

I'll just go for a bigger O scale car from mth or lionell. Its not even worth it in my opinion if you have to paint and buy extra pieces just to make 1 solid looking car. no way hose A.

so in other words, this kid painted the cars thats wrong so thats why they look like their melting?

I'll just go for a bigger O scale car from mth or lionell. Its not even worth it in my opinion if you have to paint and buy extra pieces just to make 1 solid looking car. no way hose A.

well part of the hobby can include building "Kits" and a method called "kit bashing" to try to customize one's layout. about 8 years ago i wanted an LIRR diesel train as part of my fleet. but the current fleet wasnt available in HO( or at all even) So i started by taking a MNR "Genisis" engine and painted it in the current LIRR loco livery. I then went and bought 2 Bombardier bi-level cars unpainted and went to work. Now i must let everyone know, the pics below were just taken, but this car is about 8 years old now. I have a trailer and this cab car.

IMG00111-20100307-0856a.jpg

IMG00112-20100307-0856.jpg

IMG00113-20100307-0856.jpg

This was my first time painting an HO scale car. I used flat model paint and 2 brushes(one thin for the details, one wide for the overall coat of silver), since i dont know how to use an airbrush. It took me 3 days and an additional day to install interior lights so it lights up when running. I "kit bashed" a damaged Acela Express car i had to get the lighting. The Most important thing when doing this is patience. Dont rush the job and i will guarantee satisfaction with the work.

And yes, i even painted the seats blue and added an Engineer in the cab from an ALP 44 whose engine i blew out! (Thats what she said! LOL)

For model trains, there's paint which they sell at the model train shops like Trainworld in Brooklyn and Trainland in Lynnbrook, Long Island.

i go to those, (the lynbrook store is closer to me) and in all honesty, its the same model paint as you would get at any hobby shop. Theres also "AHC" in Chelsea and The Red Cabbose in Midtown . The latter has a lot of rare rolling stock but seriously OVER prices. But at one time the owner had a pair of first rum M1s in the old MTA corporate livery. He wanted 1300 bucks for them. He also had brass R44/46s for 400 bucks for an A and a B car. so thats 800 for a 4 car unit.

thats a nice looking bombadier, how much you spend on everything?

not much really. The Bi-levels were 20 bucks each. The paint i always had around just in case( i use to build plastic models as a kid and teen). the Genisis when i first bought it was 50.00. ( i do beleive they are around 30 now). so total was less than 100 since the lighting came from an Acela Express car that was damaged. Those were about 25 each new. since i replaced it with a new one i used the old one for parts.

i go to those, (the lynbrook store is closer to me) and in all honesty, its the same model paint as you would get at any hobby shop. Theres also "AHC" in Chelsea and The Red Cabbose in Midtown . The latter has a lot of rare rolling stock but seriously OVER prices. But at one time the owner had a pair of first rum M1s in the old MTA corporate livery. He wanted 1300 bucks for them. He also had brass R44/46s for 400 bucks for an A and a B car. so thats 800 for a 4 car unit.

When I get my two-car Slants I'll need to look into how I'd go about painting them cuz I want them to come out good. Any tips?

When I get my two-car Slants I'll need to look into how I'd go about painting them cuz I want them to come out good. Any tips?

first tip is patience indeed! its not a one day job. if you know how to use an airbrush, painting them with an overall coat of silver will be a breeze. If you dont( i dont either), get atleast 2 bottles of flat silver, not gloss. you may want to experiment with a very small dab of paint thinner just to make sure the details arent covered up by the paint. test out the paint on the inside of the car shell. And i say that cause painting will be so much easier if you remove the shell from the chassis. you can hold the shell from the inside to aviod fingerprints on your fresh coat of paint. and if windows are already installed, carefully remove them. Use a soft brissled wide brush. about 1/4 in wide. for the details(espesially if your painting them "Old school", whih you probably will LOL) use the thinnest u can find. Find a comfortable work space to paint. U will be there for a few. after the overall coat of silver, i recommend u let them sit to dry overnight. then begin detailing. let that sit overnight than apply the decals. Dont rush it. i know the picture in your head of the finished product will make u anxious as all hell (been there! LOL) but when done, u will be so frakkin happy!

Thats not bad, when i was young I used to love to build model cars 1:24 scale. I still have alot of them in tact. One day I'll do it again.

I used to spend money on paint, spray paint, brushes, sand paper ect. So much fun.

I know right?! Im starting to get the itch right now as i type! Im looking at my AEM-7 and im thinking "Its been ahwile since i "raced" my Amtrak reginal and my Acela Express! I think next weekend i may take the time to overhaul and restore my fleet!

There's a guy on Ebay selling a 2 car set for $169.+ shipping if you want the easy way out. I'm thinking of buying it.

There's a guy on Ebay selling a 2 car set for $169.+ shipping if you want the easy way out. I'm thinking of buying it.

Really? It's probably O Scale (I really want HO) but I'll still take a look nonetheless. There's a 2-car set of HO scale unpainted Slants for $90 that one eBay seller will have this week.

heres a few more ive painted years ago. i just "dug" them up. they havet seen service in at least 7 or 8 years. The rest of the flet has such a layer of dust itll take me about 2 weeks to get them back into service!:

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZSBvbiAwMy0wNy0yMD-1.jpg

The ex-MNR now LIRR Genesis #913(of course!) is in the middle. To replace that

i bought 2 unpainted F7's and those became MNR #'s 2003 and 2004. the comet on the right was a comet 2 but bashed it to a comet IV. I wish i knew where its chasis went! :cry:

Really? It's probably O Scale (I really want HO) but I'll still take a look nonetheless. There's a 2-car set of HO scale unpainted Slants for $90 that one eBay seller will have this week.

90 bucks is not bad! is it fully assembled? I just looked up the slants at island model works. Each shell is 50. the drive mechanism and trucks is 45. then theres the problem of finding the truck frames. heres a pic of the shell from their site if you havent seen them:

slant.jpg

90 bucks is not bad! is it fully assembled? I just looked up the slants at island model works. Each shell is 50. the drive mechanism and trucks is 45. then theres the problem of finding the truck frames. heres a pic of the shell from their site if you havent seen them:

slant.jpg

Yep, I've seen those. I have that site bookmarked and I pass by every once in a while or so to see what's the deal with their stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived