Moving in the winter: A good idea?

Smoot178

Well me and my family have decided we want to move to New York. We just don't know when and where. We are torn on whether we should wait until the winter passes or if it wouldn't be all that bad. We live in Florida now, but most of our lives were in Massachusetts, so it's not like the cold is anything new. We just don't know what would happen moving into a city like New York.

Opinions, anyone?

Well me and my family have decided we want to move to New York. We just don't know when and where. We are torn on whether we should wait until the winter passes or if it wouldn't be all that bad. We live in Florida now, but most of our lives were in Massachusetts, so it's not like the cold is anything new. We just don't know what would happen moving into a city like New York.

Opinions, anyone?

All honesty wait til winter passes b/c its brutally cold in New York especially Upstate New York and the snow is utterly ridiculous. Just find a decent place here in New York!

No other place has a space problem like nyc in the usa, so of course you're going to pay more for the same size. I suggest washington heights, morningside heights, astoria, bay ridge, flushing, and forrest hills. :D

- A

I can help if you wanna do it in winter!! :D

- A

What do you mean?

As for a place to stay, we figure we'd need to rent out a small apartment for a month or two while we get situated (aka get a job, find a real place). We would obviously have a few thousand bucks to go up as rent, food, and gas.

My mother wants to live somewhere not directly in the city (Staten Island, Long Island, etc.), so I don't know really.

Oh and jobs, what kinda of jobs are abundant outside of manhattan? We both have retail jobs (K-Mart and Lowes XD), so a retail job would be ideal.

Generally, what price range are you looking for? I could recommend some good places in Queens. It isn't like the city, but very close, and I'd say it's a bit simpler than living in Long Island.

Initially under $1000 (monthly) if possible just to start out. Enough room (for 2) to live there and get by for a few months.

Oh did I mention we have 2 chihuahua's?

Edit: I thank everyone for the help. This forum is very friendly and I am happy I asked here. If you guys keep helping me, I promise to reward the forum with a ton of Subway/Bus pics once I get to NYC (Using my D60 of course!)

Initially under $1000 (monthly) if possible just to start out. Enough room (for 2) to live there and get by for a few months.

Oh did I mention we have 2 chihuahua's?

Edit: I thank everyone for the help. This forum is very friendly and I am happy I asked here. If you guys keep helping me, I promise to reward the forum with a ton of Subway/Bus pics once I get to NYC (Using my D60 of course!)

If you aren't picky about location, I think you can find a 2BR apartment for under $1,000. I currently live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn and I pay $1,200 for a 2 1/2 Bedroom apartment.

• 2 months later...

Of course one that lives in Brooklyn will suggest to move there, but watch out for some of the dangerous areas, especially at night. I am sure living in the city will be as good as living out in Long Island (no further than a couple of minutes by LIRR) You should not forget about moving expenses, because Florida is not the closest to the Northeast region my friend! B)

Well my mom wants to live in a neighborhood or area that is relatively safe. She is kinda paranoid as to what the crime stats are.
Crime can happen anywhere. It even happens in those "safe" neighborhoods. Brooklyn has lots of "safe" neighborhoods though.

There is lots of Brooklyn that is "safe".

Indeed.

Of course one that lives in Brooklyn will suggest to move there, but watch out for some of the dangerous areas, especially at night.
What's the point of being and living in New Yorker if you are going to be living in fear? As long as you know your surroundings during night, you should be safe regardless of where you are.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update! We are planning to be in NYC by March 8. I will be putting in my 2 week notice this Saturday so the earliest we can leave is February 28. When I get there, however, I wanna go on a huge railfanning trip on the Subway. I'll be sure to pick up my unlimited Metrocard. Since I have no idea of where everything is, I hope I can get one of you fun people to come along B)

Archived