R40 on the G

Novabus 5000

I forget at the moment, but isn't the opposite physically possible? (LIRR on some NYCT trackage)

There was a connection between the IRT and the LIRR in Brooklyn. Like from Atlantic Avenue on the IRT onto the LIRR (Flatbush). Belmont used to move his Mineola from the Interborough onto the LIRR tracks to Belmont Park.

There was a connection between the IRT and the LIRR in Brooklyn. Like from Atlantic Avenue on the IRT onto the LIRR (Flatbush). Belmont used to move his Mineola from the Interborough onto the LIRR tracks to Belmont Park.

Oh yeah. I saw that a few years back on Art's Archives. He really went all-out on showing the pics and diagrams of the connection.

What I was asking was whether it was true that current LIRR cars could run on IND tracks. I seem to remember another post here (or on rr.net) stating that they could run @ 600V if the feet were altered or removed. (for unpowered shunting)

Oh yeah. I saw that a few years back on Art's Archives. He really went all-out on showing the pics and diagrams of the connection.

What I was asking was whether it was true that current LIRR cars could run on IND tracks. I seem to remember another post here (or on rr.net) stating that they could run @ 600V if the feet were altered or removed. (for unpowered shunting)

If there are no power issues, I think the LIRR cars are fine on IND tracks. This was in the 1910's, but, the LIRR once ran trains on the Jamaica el. From the Rockaway Branch, they routed trains onto a siding that connected to the el, then ran trains to Chambers Street. That was closed off.

The R44s or R46s (I think it was the latter) were tested on LIRR trackage and they seem to do fine. So ideally, the LIRR could run on Div B trackage, but there might be clearance issues. I'm not that sure...

If there are no power issues, I think the LIRR cars are fine on IND tracks. This was in the 1910's, but, the LIRR once ran trains on the Jamaica el. From the Rockaway Branch, they routed trains onto a siding that connected to the el, then ran trains to Chambers Street. That was closed off.

The R44s or R46s (I think it was the latter) were tested on LIRR trackage and they seem to do fine. So ideally, the LIRR could run on Div B trackage, but there might be clearance issues. I'm not that sure...

Yeah, I think I might have seen pics of 44/46s running on the LIRR somewhere. Those were the kind of cars I would have thought could have run. However, I thought the LIRR ran on 700V with different feet for the third rail..

Btw, where was that other connection closed off? At Chambers, or at the Rockaway branch? Do you have a link to pictures?

EDIT: Oh wait....you mean the connection to the (L)? I've seen that LIRR connection.

Archived