An IND/BMT To Staten Island or the oppsite around

mark1447

Would You like an NYCTA line to run in Staten Island, NY?  

1. 1. Would You like an NYCTA line to run in Staten Island, NY?

• Yes That I would love! :D
    • Yes but rather have the SIRT connects to an IND/BMT Line :)
    • No its impossible to transition from the FRA standardard signaling to NYCTA standards
    • In the next 25-45 years yes, as the MTA is being cheap and spending its capital
    • All of MTA suck, I like other TAs, like NJ Transit or PATH :rolleyes:

Anyone wants to share there thoughts of what line should head to SI, or if the SIRT heads to Brooklyn and Manhattan

My Thoughts The (G)

I know we been talikng about a NYCT line heading to SI, i was thinking the (G), seeing that its the only line with the (Rkway/Franklin Shuttles) Not going into manhattan

how about extending to Ditmas, where the former Culver Shuttle was at and turn as underground towards 36th street yd and up the narrows... To Tottenvillie SI side by side with the SIRT.. Even tho the SIRT is at FRA standards in singaling, the T/A can just convert to the NYCTA based..

What do ya think, or do you have another idea for Staten Island Service

I know we been talikng about a NYCT line heading to SI, i was thinking the (G), seeing that its the only line with the (Rkway/Franklen Shuttles) Not going into manhattan

how about extending to Ditmas, where the former Culver Shuttle was at and turn as underground towards 36th street yd and up the narrows... To Tottenvillie SI side by side with the SIRT.. Even tho the SIRT is at FRA standards in singaling, the T/A can just convert to the NYCTA based..

What do ya think, or do you have another idea for Staten Island Service

IIRC, there was a map done for the IND Second System. Near Fort Hamilton Pkwy, the line leaves and follows Ft Ham and heads to 86th Street, there is also a line into Staten Is.

IIRC, there was a map done for the IND Second System. Near Fort Hamilton Pkwy, the line leaves and follows Ft Ham and heads to 86th Street, there is also a line into Staten Is.

didnt the 36th street yard lead to SI in the 30s-40s =|

didnt the 36th street yard lead to SI in the 30s-40s =|

I don't know...

But they are planning to build a cross harbour tunnel that connects the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch with the North Shore Line, crossing into New Jersey.

Stop short, it is for freight.

(Hey, they could add some tracks for rapid transit.)

The poroblem with that, is that it keeps opposition alive against the Bay Ridge line being converted to a subway line. Now originally (IIRC), the Bloomberg plan for that tunnel was to include trackage for a subway line. Like everything, it just got trimmed down back to freight alone.

It would be VERY shortsighted to allow that to happen. Building the tunnel to accomodate both would be the reasonable answer if they don't want to lay down rails for the MTA atm.

I'd vote in this if there were a few decent options, but yes in hypothetical theory it would be nice. In reality, no. Where would it connect to a BMT/IND Line? The 4th Ave Subway? How much more train traffic could the Manny B really handle with new SI trains? And in the event that part of it would need to be shut down again for a few years, where would they divert everything? Montague (teh horroz)? Of course, there's the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch (which would be another job in itself to convert to subway use), but as if SIRT riders want direct service to Canarsie. :D

I agree with Metsfan, focus on connecting to Jersey.

All you guys who live in the bx, or queens, you need to ride the staten island ferry, then PATH, and HBLR, you tell me where the connection would make the most sense.

PATH should be expanded with new tunnels into manhattan, perhaps connecting to SAS. Connect SIR and north shore line to PATH & HBLR.

- A

I would think they should just try to being it directly across the harbor to Manhattan. That can't be impossible, as it's not as long as the Channel tunnel in Europe.

Otherwise, if it was true that it was to continue across Ft Hamilton Pkway and connect with the (F), then it would basically be an extension of the (V), and the capacity would be there. (But wouldn't that be sort of out of the way fo SI-Manhattan? The Fort Hamilton connection was supposedly to just connect with the Sea Beach as a replacement for the Culver).

Well if I remember correctly, the R is supposed to have an extension ready for a SI extension.

if u talking about back before the MTA intros the route numbers/letters then its No R, but the 4th avenue Line rather called

At 95th Street there is empty tunnel behind the wall you see now to about 100th/101 Street. From what I have been told is that there is nothing in it, but there is a manhole somewhere in the area. Yes, I have been very tempted to go look for it. Sorry to anyone from Staten Island, but I have always felt that New York State should sell SI to NJ and let them worry about it.

All joking aside though, I think it would be more practical to connect SIRT to a railroad rather then worry about FRA regulations in the subway. I think that if any subway connection was to be built, it should be the (E) through lower Manhattan. A route from southern SI to Brooklyn then the city, and finally to Queens would be way too long. Yes sending the (E) to SI would be a long route, but all of Queens is an express run.

At 95th Street there is empty tunnel behind the wall you see now to about 100th/101 Street. From what I have been told is that there is nothing in it, but there is a manhole somewhere in the area. Yes, I have been very tempted to go look for it. Sorry to anyone from Staten Island, but I have always felt that New York State should sell SI to NJ and let them worry about it.

All joking aside though, I think it would be more practical to connect SIRT to a railroad rather then worry about FRA regulations in the subway. I think that if any subway connection was to be built, it should be the (E) through lower Manhattan. A route from southern SI to Brooklyn then the city, and finally to Queens would be way too long. Yes sending the (E) to SI would be a long route, but all of Queens is an express run.

exactly what i was thinking, plus extend (T) to join (E) just before tunnel plunges into the harbor.

The ferry is good enough right now. After riding HBLR and PATH, i would say that rail to NJ is more important, because it'd allow people to connect to newark or hoboken without having to depend on the ferry and (1) operating on time, plus the ferry is nice, but in in-climate weather it can be a drag if you're actually on a schedule.

There is all ready a freight line into staten island that could be rebuilt to st george.

- A

IMO they should extend the SIR to somewhere in Bay ridge. It would branch off from Gasmere and run through a tunnel to bay Ridge. It could be 95th St., or it could be further north like 62nd St. or so to provide a connection with the TRX. Whoever thinks the (R) should be extended is out of their mind...it's way too long as it is.

not really, what the T/A could do is make it the Broadway Express via Bridge, and the (N) as Local via Whitehall to Pacific

Okay everyone, fantasy maps out ... 4th Ave Exp, connect to 2nd Ave Line from bridge. Terminate 72nd St center track rush hrs, Seaport other times, late nights to Pacific. ;)

I think that the SIR should connect at Bay Ridge 95th street, or let the (W) go to SI from whitehall, the (W) isnt that long of a route. No way the (R) would be extended, imagine all those stops. Or, you can have a (S) go from 95th street to SI, connecting with the SIR.

Archived