Is there gonna be express service on the SAS?

duelingdragons

The area north of 125th will be 4 track. From there it narrows to 3 then 2 track. Express service will be possible with switching. Yet to be constructed areas may be converted to 3 track to allow simplified express.

- A

All I kno is from 125th and south will be 2 tracks, now unless you mean heading to the bronx there will be an express, then thats diff.. And a Upper East Side (T)(Q) would be good maybe?

In peak direction there should be express via switching. Reverse direction would get a slightly longer dwell time at each station to allow for this, plus possibly a yellow light to adjust & fine tune when in between stations. Very basic railroad theory. :D

- A

Not only nice, but feasible, possible, and likely.

As for it being a feeder line, dunno what you mean by that, but it's meant to take people AWAY from the lex to ease the crowding, not bring people to it unless it's going north of the current terminus. You don't see the IRT west side line local only just because CPW line is nearby even if it is set up for express.

- A

If they're gonna make one of the routes express, instead of making the whole line 3 or 4 tracks, they should put bypass stations or sections and keep the rest of the line 2 tracks to save money. This is what I mean: (Note: This is not drawn to scale)

Picture020_2copy.jpg

Whenever a local train is at these stations, an express train will pass the local train. Maybe, this can even be done with just one station. There will be a wall separating the platform from the express track for the sake of lowering the noise level. On the express side of the wall, there can be some platform space to be used as an emergency stop and because of this, emergency exit doors can be located at some points along the wall.

The entire SAS is 2 tracks. Maybe there is provision for an upper level for 2 express tracks.

Now what WOULD be cool (and what probably won't happen) if it was built with a provision for express service, would be Side platforms accessed by mezzanine level at possible future "express stations" and Island platforms at local stops. Then if someday there was need for and money for express service, the express tracks could be built on the OUTSIDE, where tunnel wall could actually insulate noise from the local station platforms.

Here's an oversimplification, obviously not to scale, and the curve radiuses would be nowhere near this sharp, Im just not very good at drawing smooth curves in MS Paint.

200cnqh.jpg

Now what WOULD be cool (and what probably won't happen) if it was built with a provision for express service, would be Side platforms accessed by mezzanine level at possible future "express stations" and Island platforms at local stops. Then if someday there was need for and money for express service, the express tracks could be built on the OUTSIDE, where tunnel wall could actually insulate noise from the local station platforms.

Here's an oversimplification, obviously not to scale, and the curve radiuses would be nowhere near this sharp, Im just not very good at drawing smooth curves in MS Paint.

200cnqh.jpg

Very nice! But I guess most stations would be island platform stations. So when an express station needs to be built, I guess the expresses could dive a level below the locals and have a station built below the one on top, then rise back to being express. Crossovers could be done when both lines are at level (similar to the junction north of Grand Central on the Lex)

BTW, anybody know where I got my idea from?

Busses do this, and so do freight trains, and a few subway stations. That is exactly what i was seeing them do, even if they don't have express service at first, you could construct a bypass track to a lower level, keep it closed off and unlit till ridership demanded it, or even keep it peak hours and special events only. Use gates to close off the stairs when not in use.

- A

Busses do this, and so do freight trains, and a few subway stations. That is exactly what i was seeing them do, even if they don't have express service at first, you could construct a bypass track to a lower level, keep it closed off and unlit till ridership demanded it, or even keep it peak hours and special events only. Use gates to close off the stairs when not in use.

- A

Actually, it's a particular subway station...

*cough* Any Tokyo fans here? *cough*

I'd follow asian transit systems if i could read the languages. :cool:

- A

I kno right? If only I knew more Japanese...

Anyway, it's based on the Higashi-Shinjuku station on the newly built Fukutoshin Line of the Tokyo Metro. It's the only four-track section of the line.

Here are some vids:

The switch can be seen at 1:00. At 2:32, an express train bypasses the station.

Here's another video of the express bypassing the station (go to 4:05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV6dQ37BDb0

In this video the bypass happens at 4:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zd5Fcol4nQ

Wouldn't it be cool if the Second Avenue Line had something like this?

Houston Street

14th Street

42nd Street

72nd Street

96th Street

125th Street

Agreed on those...If there was going to be SAS express service I'd send the T to Hanover Square and E. Houston would be where the local/express diverge...then link the SAS express up to the Nassau St. line and extend the platforms it'd use (remember you got unused platforms at some of those stops). Terminate the M at Chambers and the J/Z at Broad, then send the express to Brooklyn and terminate at Bay Parkway. When the M is Shuttle, J/Z to Chambers and SAS express to BRD. Would require major construction though and just a thought nothing more...

IF there is to be SAS Express Service, which stations do you want to be express?

My picks:

Hanover Sq

Grand Street

Houston Street

14th Street

42nd Street

72nd Street

96th Street

125th Street

I would add 34th st, just because it can get rather busy there, plus both 42nd and 34th are express stops for every other line plus PATH terminal, would only make sense to allow easy transfer on the same street rather than having to go up 9 blocks.

I wonder if they will ever have a shuttle on 34th st to connect all the stations.

- A

Archived