Is there gonna be express service on the SAS?

duelingdragons

I would add 34th st, just because it can get rather busy there, plus both 42nd and 34th are express stops for every other line plus PATH terminal, would only make sense to allow easy transfer on the same street rather than having to go up 9 blocks.

I wonder if they will ever have a shuttle on 34th st to connect all the stations.

- A

Well I was going to have 34th Street as an express station because of the NYU Medical Complex on First Avenue and it would help the hospital's staff and patients (in fact, it could benefit "Hospital Row") but then again I'm not sure about the ridership in the area. Cutting out 34th Street on the express line could give a faster express run. The whole point of an express line is to have fewer stops and to stop at important areas. If there are too many express stations, then what is the point of having express service altogether?

I used to say thay should have a 34th St branch of the Second Ave line, as an intermediate route/terminal both for Brooklyn service and uptown service. That way, the line wouldn't have to be a separate shuttle.

Yeah, like the Hoboken setup on the HBLR. But here is the deal, you would have to deal with A LOT of existing infrastructure. You have the Lexington Avenue Line plus the Murray Hill tunnel, the Empire State Building, the 6th Avenue Line, PATH, the Broadway line, 7th Avenue line and the 8th Avenue Line. Don't forget Penn Station (Amtrak, NJT and LIRR), you have A LOT to deal with. It will be very messy.

IF there is to be SAS Express Service, which stations do you want to be express?

My picks:

Hanover Sq

Grand Street

Houston Street

14th Street

42nd Street

72nd Street

96th Street

125th Street

I don't think both Grand street and Houston should be express stops. Either or would be fine. I think you need one more stop in the midtown area.

I don't think both Grand street and Houston should be express stops. Either or would be fine. I think you need one more stop in the midtown area.

Perhaps, I could divert the expresses somewhere, say down BMT Nassau, I think that would be more beneficial. With that, I guess, everything south of Houston (Phase 4) would be local.

I'm not quite sure about the Midtown stop you're proposing. Try to make it specific. :D

The whole point of an express line is to have fewer stops and to stop at important areas. If there are too many express stations, then what is the point of having express service altogether?

I don't think that's a big problem. Look at the IND 8th avenue line, there's only three stops in Midtown that aren't served by the express. The IND 6th Avenue Line only has two.

This is a East Harlem-125th Street bound (T) express train TheNextStopIs 42nd Street.....sounds great to me. It gets my vote for an express route:p;)

Yeah, the express would be cool. I can imagine the announcements.

R160

This..is..a hanover square bound T..express train..thenextstopis....42 street..times square. stand clear the closing door please...ding dong.

I hope the (MTA) has 4 tracks on the second Ave subway and aslo an extendsion to broxn with express. Having express service on the second ave line is a great idea then we can have <(T)> express trains.

Making the whole line a 4 track line would just be a waste of money wouldn't it?

Making the whole line a 4 track line would just be a waste of money wouldn't it?

Yep, it will be a waste of $$$. I think that if the (T) was longer, then there could be an express service. Like service to the bronx. There isnt that many stops on the (T) to have express service, doesnt the route have less stops than the (6)?

It wouldnt waste money, it all depends on the population of the East Side.

Id prefer a (T)(Q) Skip - Stop service, from 125th to 72nd, which will cost less, but leave small delays

Or Maybe 3 tracks wont be bad? (Q) Express AM south bound, PM Northbound...? Similer to the Bronx and Queens

and if it goes to bronx, maybe an express service =|

hate to break it to you all but it's going to be a 2 track line. The two existing tunnel segments are laid out for only 2 tracks - though there is a middle track in the 110-120st segment with an inspection pit under it - so clearly it wasn't designed for revenue use.

I'm unsure how much it would cost them to widen the existing tunnels but clearly it'd be very expensive compared to now where all they have to do is lay track and signals through these 2 completed tunnel segments.

I'll be surprised if the whole project isn't shelved another few years with the mess the economy is in right now.

Yep, it will be a waste of $$$. I think that if the (T) was longer, then there could be an express service. Like service to the bronx. There isnt that many stops on the (T) to have express service, doesnt the route have less stops than the (6)?

Correct: 16 stations from 125th Street to Hanover Square.

The 6 (Manhattan only): 125th, 116th, 110th, 103rd, 96th, 86th, 77th, 68th, 59th, 51st, 42nd-Grand Central, 33rd, 28th, 23rd, 14th-Union Sq, Astor Pl, Bleecker, Spring, Canal and Brooklyn Bridge (20 stops total)

I highly doubt this SAS is going to happen baecause of this economic crisis. Maybe in another 20 yrs. Here comes another 1970 Deja vu of pausing the SAS for god knows how long.

I doubt it will be halted. Slowed, maybe, but not halted. It needs to be built, and is a very high priority. Once SAS is in place you could in theory have service cuts on the lex without much noise from riders.

Edit: I might also add that 2 minute headways is the most i've ever heard of anywhere on any line in the world. One train stops at an express station (regardless of direction) every 15 seconds during peak hours if my calculations are right. This brings it past the busiest -rail- station in the world of any kind. Now you should understand why SAS is needed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapham_Junction Of the 13 trains per second some actually pass through and do not stop, putting GCT's lexington ave line subway station at the top by a lot.

- A

That's never stopped it before.

This time is different though. With people ditching cars more and more and taking the train/bus you'll need more capacity or expect it to get worse even without cuts. I don't care what anyone says or what fare increases are being threatened, SAS is a must. I feel that even the smallest incident on the lex during peak hours will remind folks that SAS is coming & will be completed asap. A few months ago my girlfriend and i got off of a (6) to get on a (4), but there was no space on the (4), and people who had our same idea stayed on the platform and waited for the next (6). Pretty soon you will have both the local and express trains like this so there will be massive crowds trying to get on the train & no space to fit anyone. PATH is less severe, but it will reach absolute capacity (vs loading capacity which is based on headway and "safe" passenger #'s) within a year or 2 during peak hours. There is only so much to do to buy time & spread the load before SAS is -required- to move the people safely. I also cringe at the idea of being on the 42nd st (S) which has also been operating at capacity during peak hours because of its location. The ESA and the ARC should connect to allow relief during peak hours in peak direction. If not you'll want a 34th st shuttle as i stated before. I mean, i'm kinda ignoring the MTA saber-rattling and focusing on the real issues faced by daily riders. If SAS is not completed within say 3 years of its projected completion date, you will have problems. Problems the system can no longer flex to accommodate. You feel like waiting 25+ minutes to board a packed train? Multiply that no by how many people ride the lex during peak hours & you get why it won't be canceled.

-A

Archived