What would be the ultimate subway car combination? ( R62 seats on an R42, like that )

R421969

Can the IRT subway cars have some perpendicular-leaning seats, instead of side facing (parallel-leaning) seats? I'd like some R62 and R62A cars to have some seating arrangement similar to the R68/A. Now that would be great, so people don't have to turn 180 degrees to look out the window when seating. Great for the (7) line.

Technically they do but I was talking aobut a glass RFW, not a glass RFW covered by a plastic polarizing filter.

Oh right. BTW that polarizing filter or privacy screen thingy is annoying cuz it screws up the view by adding glare and streaks etc.

I don't really get the point of that privacy screen on the R142, R142A, R143, R160A, and R160B. What could the T/Os possibly be doing that they don't want us to see? All they're doing is driving the train. :confused: I want those taken out so the view isn't blurry etc.

Can the IRT subway cars have some perpendicular-leaning seats, instead of side facing (parallel-leaning) seats? I'd like some R62 and R62A cars to have some seating arrangement similar to the R68/A. Now that would be great, so people don't have to turn 180 degrees to look out the window when seating. Great for the (7) line.

R110A had them. But the (MTA) is concentrating on standees now...

• 1 year later...

I would go with a mix of subway and Metro-North features. I would build a 75-footer with four doors on each side, with the same body profile and hump as the M8s. The major difference would be the use of the hump to hold powerful battery packs connected to the regnerative braking system so that a train could get half an hour's running time or so for every day it ran until the batteries were full. At this point, the batteries would hold their charge until and unless there was a power failure. At that point, the batteries could be used to carry the train until power is restored. I would use Siemens propulsion, only lighter and stronger to allow the train to reach 95-100 mph if necessary. The front on the A cars would be very similar to that of the M8, with one major difference: The top two headlights would be replaced with a large RGB LED route indicator capable of displaying route color as well as designation. The cars would have the pre-GOH blue stripe relatively low around the body with a black raccoon mask above it surrounding the windows. The desination signs would be based in those of an R160 but with more individual LEDs (room for more characters) and RGB capability. The back end of the A car and both ends of the B car would have R160-style windows allowing people to see between cars.

The interior would be done in R46-style wood trim, with R44-style glass partitions flanking the doors, and the seating arrangement would be the same as the R46. The seats themselves would be the same as the new bucket seats being retrofitted onto the R44s and R46s, only in a darker shade of blue. The car would also have R160-style black flooring, FINDs, and NTT in-car information displays. Finally, the center poles would be replaced with R160-style grab rails and the cars would be equipped with commuter rail-grade air ride suspensions. The cab would be based both on the M7 and R160, with CBTC, ACSES, and provisions for in-cab signaling. The cars would be interoperable on normal mode with models R110B and newer as well as M7/M7A and up, only interoperable with CBTC-enabled R143s and R160s when in CBTC mode, and only interoperable with ACSES-enabled (MTA) rolling stock when in ACSES mode.

75ft trains FTW! However for seating, I would need transversed bucket seats (R110B style) only at the windows while leaving the walls and ends (maybe flip seats for the disabled) empty exclusively for standing room.

Why does everyone like 75 foot cars so much? They can't even fit on the (J)(L)(M)(Z) lines!

I love my Eastern division but in my perfect world the Slants, 40m, 38s, 42s, would dominate it and the car described above and all the other current cars would be everywhere else

Archived