Babylon branch!

via White Plains Road

MTA Long Island Rail Road

Service Alert

Wednesday November 12, 2008

Babylon Branch

The LIRR is experiencing 15 to 20 minute delays on the Babylon Branch in both directions due to a an unauthorized person on the tracks being struck by a non-passenger train in Bellmore.

Heard about this on the news this morning after noticing there was a helicopter flying around nearby which happened to be covering the incident. The news showed the LIRR crew cleaning the blood off of the Bellmore station platform. Ugly any way you slice it...

On the bright side, they said to expect 15-20 minute delays on the Babylon branch, but my train to Penn Station rolled up right on time.

Heard about this on the news this morning after noticing there was a helicopter flying around nearby which happened to be covering the incident. The news showed the LIRR crew cleaning the blood off of the Bellmore station platform. Ugly any way you slice it...

On the bright side, they said to expect 15-20 minute delays on the Babylon branch, but my train to Penn Station rolled up right on time.

well if they were cleaning blood off the platform, wouldn't that mean that the person who was struck was on the platform and there by not be a person who was an "unauthorized person on the tracks being struck by a non-passenger train in Bellmore"?

i guess they didn't want people to know that the person died on the platform, so it was better for them to say that the person was on the tracks instead.

even though its horrible, its prob one of the top ten ways to commit suiside don't ya think?

Please forgive the following morbidity. Firstly, the blood looked like it was very close to the platform edge which is very close to the tracks, so it's not inconceivable that there's blood on the platform. Secondly, if you've ever seen the show Dexter (and if you haven't, you should because the show is amazing), there is this concept of blood spatter. I won't get into that because this isn't the proper forum, but I'm sure if you google it you can figure out what that means.

Back to the topic at hand, this was a very sad incident indeed. Does anyone know what type of work train it was that was moving through at 5-6 AM? Usually they are gearing up for the peak rush hour during that time, I'm surprised they would have been sending one through. especially because it isn't uncommon for westbound peak trains to use the eastbound tracks and switch over at a later point in time to either the westbound Babylon or Long Beach tracks.

LIRR work vehicles can go from 10 mph for the little stuff to 25 mph for the larger self propelled stuff.

If the guy was struck in certain ways, even on the trackbed, which isn't that far below the top of the platform, yes there would be "evidence" on the platfrom. He could have easily been mushed between the vehicle and the platform edge vs head on collision. Likely drunk, having some kind of attack, or thought could get something he dropped.

I know all of you know this, but for people who do a google search & find this thread:

STAY CLEAR OF TRACKS AT ALL TIMES ASIDE FROM DESIGNATED CROSSINGS!!! RAIL TRACKS ARE A HAZARD ZONE AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED AS YOU WOULD RESPECT YOUR SINK'S GARBAGE DISPOSAL UNIT.

/end of public safety rant. :cool:

- A

Archived