Transit ‘It’s a total nightmare’: Moms call on MTA to relax folded stroller policy on buses

BreeddekalbL

I can't encourage this. Dealing with the unfolded strollers on trains is an absolute nightmare, makes it harder to get on and off crowded trains, at least when I dealt with it on the (4)... Can't imagine how bad it would be on buses. 

Avissar's arguments don't make much sense to me, like the hypothetical of a baby being in a bus in a near-collision. At that point, the stroller is a huge hazard to others (and the baby) and not actually the mother.

Transit was never designed for mass transport of babies. Honestly I don't know how else to say it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 3:31 AM, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, and these same parents with these strollers that board these buses, are the same ones that tend to be intolerant to wheelchair passengers & the elderly that need to occupy that front area of the bus.... Seen the hypocrisy play out more than enough times....

In my opinion, strollers should be banned from buses as should shopping carts and wheelchair bound citizens. They have Paratransit for a reason.

5 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

In my opinion, strollers should be banned from buses as should shopping carts and wheelchair bound citizens. They have Paratransit for a reason.

Glad that you noted that it’s your opinion It’s my opinion  that any person who pays their fare and taxes has a right to board any public transit equipment that is funded by the taxpayers. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Glad that you noted that it’s your opinion It’s my opinion  that any person who pays their fare and taxes has a right to board any public transit equipment that is funded by the taxpayers. Carry on.

I'm speaking from personal experience. 

8 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Care to elaborate  ?

Anytime I'm on a bus ( be it high-floor or not) these idiots always, ALWAYS slow the bus down with their drama. I always believe that strollers and wheelchairs/shopping carts should be outlawed on buses. You don't see bicycles on buses, so why should these other transport devices be?

2 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

Anytime I'm on a bus ( be it high-floor or not) these idiots always, ALWAYS slow the bus down with their drama. I always believe that strollers and wheelchairs/shopping carts should be outlawed on buses. You don't see bicycles on buses, so why should these other transport devices be?

What, exactly, qualifies as drama?

2 hours ago, Lex said:

What, exactly, qualifies as drama?

Imagine equating a wheelchair bound person with a bicycle transporting person ? I think that the bus manufacturers and the purchasing agencies understand the law, both federal and state, better than the person complaining. Maybe he wants to advocate consigning the wheelchair bound to “ paratransit “  because he is being delayed by these folks ? Just my take. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional thought

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Imagine equating a wheelchair bound person with a bicycle transporting person ? I think that the bus manufacturers and the purchasing agencies understand the law, both federal and state, better than the person complaining. Maybe he wants to advocate consigning the wheelchair bound to “ paratransit “  because he is being delayed by these folks ? Just my take. Carry on.

At this point, wheelchairs are fairly easy to deal with on the local fleet. I'm more concerned about the express fleet, as it appears to be more convoluted than even the RTS in nature. That's one reason why I wish the MTA went for the D45 CRT LE instead of the X3-45, as the low-entry portion makes boarding and alighting at least somewhat easier, though I'd still prefer using the transit platforms for the greater accessibility, among other things.

As for the bikes, well, I'd greatly expand the presence of bike racks and make a greater push for folding bikes within the metropolitan area (admittedly, they're heavy, but they can take up far less space).

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

At this point, wheelchairs are fairly easy to deal with on the local fleet. I'm more concerned about the express fleet, as it appears to be more convoluted than even the RTS in nature. That's one reason why I wish the MTA went for the D45 CRT LE instead of the X3-45, as the low-entry portion makes boarding and alighting at least somewhat easier, though I'd still prefer using the transit platforms for the greater accessibility, among other things.

As for the bikes, well, I'd greatly expand the presence of bike racks and make a greater push for folding bikes within the metropolitan area (admittedly, they're heavy, but they can take up far less space).

Right.

Two days ago I saw the wheelchair lift deployed on a Prevost for the first time....2656 at 5th and 32nd....and it got stuck.

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Right.

Two days ago I saw the wheelchair lift deployed on a Prevost for the first time....2656 at 5th and 32nd....and it got stuck.

The process for even working those lifts is convoluted as f--k! They show us the videos at Zerega all the damn time during first line of defense and I cannot

On 4/12/2022 at 7:02 AM, Joel Powers said:

People need to get to work. It's a civil rights issue (no literally, the ADA is civil rights legislation)

Expanding paratransit would be a huge mistake. It already costs $1B+ a year to provide, and that's for the current service which is shitty, requires predetermined appointments 24h in advance that the vehicles are often late to, etc. Serving disabled riders with the actual bus services is a win-win-win; it costs less money and it's more convenient for those passengers. Would you support the service cuts required to pay for more paratransit?

---

It always shocks me to see such callous indifference about these kinds of topics, particularly since in this society everyone is one unfortunate event from being broke or disabled (temporarily or permanently.) Crutches gave me a new perspective on how hard it was to be transit-dependent and not have full motor abilities, and that was temporary.

Edited by bobtehpanda

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

People need to get to work. It's a civil rights issue (no literally, the ADA is civil rights legislation)

Expanding paratransit would be a huge mistake. It already costs $1B+ a year to provide, and that's for the current service which is shitty, requires predetermined appointments 24h in advance that the vehicles are often late to, etc. Serving disabled riders with the actual bus services is a win-win-win; it costs less money and it's more convenient for those passengers. Would you support the service cuts required to pay for more paratransit?

---

It always shocks me to see such callous indifference about these kinds of topics, particularly since in this society everyone is one unfortunate event from being broke or disabled (temporarily or permanently.) Crutches gave me a new perspective on how hard it was to be transit-dependent and not have full motor abilities, and that was temporary.

Ok, fair point.

• 6 months later...

I find this interesting:

Other cities like Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Dallas allow unfolded strollers on buses as long as there’s enough room for other passengers and depending on the cart’s size.

One advocate for better accessibility for parents said the Big Apple should follow suit, saying she doesn’t take her youngest of three children who is 2-years-old on the buses yet because it’s too much of a hassle.

Why do other transit agencies allow unfolded strollers in some capacity, but the (MTA) does not? Are the buses in those cities larger to allow more room for people to pass?

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I find this interesting:

Why do other transit agencies allow unfolded strollers in some capacity, but the (MTA) does not? Are the buses in those cities larger to allow more room for people to pass?

Same model of bus but those buses tend to carry less people than the MTAs buses. 

On 10/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I see. I believe I heard that the pilot program that they're running allows for an area out of the way for the strollers to be left open.

I’ve seen it on the Eastchester hybrids. They removed the single seat next to the rear door so a stroller can be inserted instead. I’m not sure how its being done on the Q12, and the S53/93.

33 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I’ve seen it on the Eastchester hybrids. They removed the single seat next to the rear door so a stroller can be inserted instead. I’m not sure how its being done on the Q12, and the S53/93.

Only problem with these pilot programs is the fleet won't be consistent.  It's almost impossible with fleet needing to be moved around.