amtrak to long island and staten island

Real Greenpickles987

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Port Jefferson might make more sense (to serve SUNY Stony Brook).  Amtrak to Staten Island makes no sense.

I second that, although to be frank ,it wouldn't make much sense for Amtrak to do either as Long Island is already being well served (for the most part) by MTA Long Island Railroad. Staten Island has SIRR. 

13 minutes ago, Joel Powers said:

I second that, although to be frank ,it wouldn't make much sense for Amtrak to do either as Long Island is already being well served (for the most part) by MTA Long Island Railroad. Staten Island has SIRR. 

Agreed. Maybe one could argue (tenuously) for through ticketing, but not direct service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Agreed. Maybe one could argue (tenuously) for through ticketing, but not direct service.

Eh, there's a lot of value in reducing the amount of seat changes, particularly as it relates to avoiding having to exit a platform, go up, go through the boarding process, and then get onto an Amtrak train.

Also, don't a fair amount of trains from the west and north terminate in Penn Station itself? The terminating procedure takes a long time, so maybe it should be moved to somewhere that isn't the most congested station in the rail network.

---

I think Amtrak as part of its Amtrak Connects plan has talked about extending Empire Corridor trains to Ronkonkoma. Stony Brook would make more sense if speeds on PJ were improved, but it takes about an hour less to catch a train from Ronkonkoma than from Stony Brook, and PJ has a lot of curves compared to how straight the route to Ronkonkoma is in comparison.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:52 PM, bobtehpanda said:

Eh, there's a lot of value in reducing the amount of seat changes, particularly as it relates to avoiding having to exit a platform, go up, go through the boarding process, and then get onto an Amtrak train.

Also, don't a fair amount of trains from the west and north terminate in Penn Station itself? The terminating procedure takes a long time, so maybe it should be moved to somewhere that isn't the most congested station in the rail network.

---

I think Amtrak as part of its Amtrak Connects plan has talked about extending Empire Corridor trains to Ronkonkoma. Stony Brook would make more sense if speeds on PJ were improved, but it takes about an hour less to catch a train from Ronkonkoma than from Stony Brook, and PJ has a lot of curves compared to how straight the route to Ronkonkoma is in comparison.

The question is, will the MTA allow Amtrak to use their tracks for their own service expansions? 

On 4/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, Joel Powers said:

The question is, will the MTA allow Amtrak to use their tracks for their own service expansions? 

I mean, Metro-North does.
Then again, LIRR is run differently than Metro-North, although usually for the worse.

• 11 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 8:44 AM, Dellvana said:

There could be a way with linking it to Staten Island, but I think they would be using different rails because it's not primarily connected to the other MTA rails from the outer boroughs.

That doesn't make any sense...

On 4/19/2023 at 8:44 AM, Dellvana said:

There could be a way with linking it to Staten Island, but I think they would be using different rails because it's not primarily connected to the other MTA rails from the outer boroughs.

The only rail line that could be used is the existing NSR row on Staten Island and even then there's no direct connection to the NEC. A new curve would have to be built in order for service to Staten Island to be feasible. But even then what benefit would that really provide? Staten Island to NYP wouldn't be faster by this rail line and going to WAS doesn't seem like it'd be more an appealing option than just getting on at NYP. That doesn't even get into the costly renovations and eminent domain needed to pull this off, I don't think it'd be worth the time, money, or effort required to build it. That time, money, and effort would be better spent on the Gateway Project. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 5:23 PM, bobtehpanda said:

I mean, Metro-North does.
Then again, LIRR is run differently than Metro-North, although usually for the worse.

Metro North doesn't own all of their trackage. Most of it's owned by Amtrak which owns the NEC and the EC.

10 hours ago, Nitro said:

It's not going to happen Long Island is not willing to cut their service on behalf of Amtrak invasive policies. LI has more issues than you think. You want to add another one in there, Sure LI is totally willing to accept that.

That’s presumptuous of you, considering it would only be a few Amtrak trains a day.

10 hours ago, Nitro said:

Metro North doesn't own all of their trackage. Most of it's owned by Amtrak which owns the NEC and the EC.

Metro-North only does not own the CT sections of the New Haven Line, which are owned by CDOT. It has owned the New York sections of the New Haven line, including where it is part of the NEV, since its inception, as the state bought the line in the Penn Central bankruptcy.

Edited by Kamen Rider

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Metro-North only does not own the CT sections of the New Haven Line, which are owned by CDOT. It has owned the New York sections of the New Haven line, including where it is part of the NEV, since its inception, as the state bought the line in the Penn Central bankruptcy.

Did you forget about the Empire Corridor a corridor that Amtrak owns from New York City to Niagara Falls. The Metro North Railroad doesn't even own most of the Hudson Line. Amtrak & CSX do and lease it to Metro North for repairs and maintenance.

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

That’s presumptuous of you, considering it would only be a few Amtrak trains a day.

You're mad that I'm debunking the bs that you are saying. Long Island will not give their trackage to anyone else because they are an independent railroad company from Metro North, NJ Transit Rail Operations, & CT Rail.

5 hours ago, Nitro said:

Did you forget about the Empire Corridor a corridor that Amtrak owns from New York City to Niagara Falls. The Metro North Railroad doesn't even own most of the Hudson Line. Amtrak & CSX do and lease it to Metro North for repairs and maintenance.

5 hours ago, Nitro said:

You're mad that I'm debunking the bs that you are saying. Long Island will not give their trackage to anyone else because they are an independent railroad company from Metro North, NJ Transit Rail Operations, & CT Rail.

I’m “mad” you’re claiming false information as fact and are getting angry when an MTA employee corrects you.

the MTA owns all of Metro-North’s current east of Hudson trackage in New York State. 
the LIRR is onboard with the Amtrak expansion, in part because IT is the one that uses Amtrak owned right of way, specifically the East River tunnels and Penn Station.

we have spent millions of dollars expanding the capacity of the Main Line to Ronkonkoma. Four or five Amtrak trains each way squeezing in will not have and adverse effect on railroad operations.

the LIRR is not an “independent railroad company”.

2 Broadway says jump, the LIRR says “How High?”

Edited by Kamen Rider

6 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

I’m “mad” you’re claiming false information as fact and are getting angry when an MTA employee corrects you.

the MTA owns all of Metro-North’s current east of Hudson trackage in New York State. 
the LIRR is onboard with the Amtrak expansion, in part because IT is the one that uses Amtrak owned right of way, specifically the East River tunnels and Penn Station.

we have spent millions of dollars expanding the capacity of the Main Line to Ronkonkoma. Four or five Amtrak trains each way squeezing in will not have and adverse effect on railroad operations.

You are not even seeing the logistics of inter running Amtrak services into Long Island. All that would do is cause more congestion at Jamaica. Two factors are the cost of operation and how many people will use the Amtrak services in LI, Only a few thousand compared to hundreds of thousands of people who are heading to Penn Station.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

I'm not even angry. This is becoming a total shit show with fantasy proposals out of the ass. I'm debunking and making a total mockery out of the bullshit everyone wants.

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

You are not even seeing the logistics of inter running Amtrak services into Long Island. All that would do is cause more congestion at Jamaica. Two factors are the cost of operation and how many people will use the Amtrak services in LI, Only a few thousand compared to hundreds of thousands of people who are heading to Penn Station.

That would screw over capacity on the trains that Ronkonkoma Express & Montauk Trains run per hour by adding 4-5 Amtrak trains. What you should be "worried about" is how many people are going to ride Amtrak in Long Island. It's probably less than 10,000 people while everyone else in Nassau & Suffolk Counties use the LIRR.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

LIRR is unwilling to work with Amtrak.