Your subway cuts to help save the MTA budget

Eastman346

What would you as the riding public (not a railfan) cut to help save the MTA budget and avoid another fare hike.

Here are mine:

1. cutting a little service on the (W) and (V) trains
  2. cut down on more station agents especially in the outer boroughs
  3. cut overtime for transit workers and reschedule shifts, sorry train and bus operators ;)

I'm not some kind of economic guru and I dont claim to be.

What would you as the riding public (not a railfan) cut to help save the MTA budget and avoid another fare hike.

Here are mine:

1. cutting a little service on the (W) and (V) trains

2. cut down on more station agents especially in the outer boroughs

3. cut overtime for transit workers and reschedule shifts, sorry train and bus operators ;)

I'm not some kind of economic guru and I dont claim to be.

They already cut most non essential overtime. The V in general is a useless line because nobody rides it but is a very political line. It used to and may still receive federal funding for the line.

I rarely ever see anymore station agents except in the 24 hour booths.

The way the TA can save millions is to cut some of the useless upper management that they have. They have superintendent trying to reinvent the railroad to justify there jobs because they have nothing to do. And now with the line general manager program it will only get worse.

Once the program starts in the B division it will add 33 more managers ontop of the 16 that just started in the IRT. None of the current superintendents are slated to lose there jobs so its just extra management at very high salaries!!

They already cut most non essential overtime. The V in general is a useless line because nobody rides it but is a very political line. It used to and may still receive federal funding for the line.

I rarely ever see anymore station agents except in the 24 hour booths.

The way the TA can save millions is to cut some of the useless upper management that they have. They have superintendent trying to reinvent the railroad to justify there jobs because they have nothing to do. And now with the line general manager program it will only get worse.

Once the program starts in the B division it will add 33 more managers ontop of the 16 that just started in the IRT. None of the current superintendents are slated to lose there jobs so its just extra management at very high salaries!!

Agreed...that's not just true for (MTA), that's true everywhere. We have simply too many managers and administrators in this country and it's become very top heavy and things that are top heavy collapse...that's the one good thing that can possibly come out of this economic mess if people realize the shake out is needed and some of the "big wigs" who shouldnt' really be there have to strap on a hard hat and go to work and actually DO something other than "supervise" for a change. But the "5 managers to supervise 4 people" syndrome isn't just in (MTA) I feel, it's everywhere

the "5 managers to supervise 4 people" syndrome isn't just in (MTA) I feel, it's everywhere

The question was about the MTA not the everywhere else.

It's worse in the TA than most places because of it's size. It's easy for these useless managers to hide. They literally have nothing to do.

Subtle cuts in weekend service (for example, a line that runs every 6 to 8 minutes would run every 8 to 10 minutes)

No W after 8 PM, no V after 9 PM

No more B to the Bronx or D Concourse express

<7> service ends at 8 PM

3 late night service replaced by shuttle bus

M terminates at Myrtle after 8 PM

Doomsday scenario

5 train shuttle service on weekends

Subtle cuts in weekend service (for example, a line that runs every 6 to 8 minutes would run every 8 to 10 minutes)

No W after 8 PM, no V after 9 PM

No more B to the Bronx or D Concourse express

<7> service ends at 8 PM

3 late night service replaced by shuttle bus

M terminates at Myrtle after 8 PM

Doomsday scenario

5 train shuttle service on weekends

1. The (V) and (W) has additonal hours but it can be discountinued.

2. (;) will always go to the broxn on weekays and (D) will always run express on the Concourse line because there is heavy ridership.

3. <7> express service could end at 9pm.

4. Late night (3) service was restored since the July of this year (2008) and it will not be replaced by the the shuttle bus again.

5. (M) terminates after 11:00pm.

6. (5) train could run as Dyre Ave shuttle service on weekends.

7. (G) can be cut back to Court Square at all times.

8. During late night (6) could be cut back to 125th Street.

Guest Charles
1. The (V) and (W) has additonal hours but it can be discountinued.

2. (:D will always go to the broxn on weekays and (D) will always run express on the Concourse line because there is heavy ridership.

3. <7> express service could end at 9pm.

4. Late night (3) service was restored since the July of this year (2008) and it will not be replaced by the the shuttle bus again.

5. (M) terminates after 11:00pm.

6. (5) train could run as Dyre Ave shuttle service on weekends.

7. (G) can be cut back to Court Square at all times.

8. During late night (6) could be cut back to 125th Street.

Couple of problems here. I don't think #8 will work. The (6) is the only Pelham line running. If you're talking about cutting the (6) from Pelham Bay to 125 St, either the (4) or (5) would have to run local, which may lead to some problems. Since your #5 indicates (5) running as a shuttle, this leaves the (4) as the lone train serving the Bronx, Lexington Avenue, and Brooklyn.

To maximize (W) service, I believe a peak service (N) express in Astoria would be beneficial.

Also, whatever happened to the <4> that skipped 138 St/Grand Concourse during peak hours?

Couple of problems here. I don't think #8 will work. The (6) is the only Pelham line running. If you're talking about cutting the (6) from Pelham Bay to 125 St, either the (4) or (5) would have to run local, which may lead to some problems. Since your #5 indicates (5) running as a shuttle, this leaves the (4) as the lone train serving the Bronx, Lexington Avenue, and Brooklyn.

To maximize (W) service, I believe a peak service (N) express in Astoria would be beneficial.

Also, whatever happened to the <4> that skipped 138 St/Grand Concourse during peak hours?

Back in the day, late night (6) service did however, run as a Pelham Shuttle between Pelham Bay Park and East Harlem-125 St. I wouldn't revive that though...

Late night Lex local ridership is actually still pretty high, particularly on Friday/Saturday night (aka everyone goes drinking)...I've been on trains as late as 3AM in the morning coming North and they're fairly crowded. During the week it's a different story, but you will still get crowds up until midnight most times, sometimes even a little after, so the locals can get fairly crowded and the overnight (6) service in Manhattan servves its purpose.

Yeah. There isn't enough night service to begin with.

Especially with the buses. I'm surprised the bus lines on the west side of Manhattan don't at least run a bus an hour overnight. I only found that out the hard way when I was an eastsider. Yet, the crosstowns run. I always found that odd.

Something i'd be totally willing to accept is cuts in bonuses you get per $ you put on metrocard.

- A

Same here. It's actually not a selling point to anyone I know. Those who buy PPR Metrocards are very accepting of the fare, and just consider the extra rides as icing on the cake. Those who want a better deal always seem to shift to Unlimited cards.

At least in my experience.

The W express didn't save enough time and it skipped too many stops to be effective.

The 4 still skips 138 street, but that's to avoid backing up the 5 train before it merges with the 2.

I would cut the (G) to Court Sq. at all times. Like they don't already.

I would remove the (W) from service and use those trains to expand (N)(Q)(R) service. Three sets to each train. some of you may be thinking that this isn't a service cut and have actually liked this plan but this would mean cutting an express train from the Broadway line. Local service would increase but express service would significantly decrease. However operations would be streamlined in Manhattan.

I would somehow ifnd a way to stop work on the Fulton St. transit center, if even possible. If not I'd sell it off to a private company to finish so I don't have to worry about it.

I'd cancel the 7 extension. The city is paying for it but they're strapped for cash too.

Cut (Z) service and make the (J) local at all times. (Z) cars go to the (J).

I'd also scrap the line manager program. If I wouldn't then I'd deifntiely get rid of the posts the LMP was supposed to replace.

Doomsday scenario -

No (C) service, (A) runs local

R188 is canceled

CBTC postponed on the (7)(E)(F)

I would cut the (G) to Court Sq. at all times. Like they don't already.

I would remove the (W) from service and use those trains to expand (N)(Q)(R) service. Three sets to each train. some of you may be thinking that this isn't a service cut and have actually liked this plan but this would mean cutting an express train from the Broadway line. Local service would increase but express service would significantly decrease. However operations would be streamlined in Manhattan.

I would somehow ifnd a way to stop work on the Fulton St. transit center, if even possible. If not I'd sell it off to a private company to finish so I don't have to worry about it.

I'd cancel the 7 extension. The city is paying for it but they're strapped for cash too.

Cut (Z) service and make the (J) local at all times. (Z) cars go to the (J).

I'd also scrap the line manager program. If I wouldn't then I'd deifntiely get rid of the posts the LMP was supposed to replace.

Doomsday scenario -

No (C) service, (A) runs local

R188 is canceled

CBTC postponed on the (7)(E)(F)

No, doomsday is fares increased to 3 dollars plus cutbacks plus fleet shrinkage plus layoffs plus deferred maintenance plus SAS delayed.

- A

1.end (V) service. The (V) is not needed

2.The (W) is not that needed cuz theres the (N) and (R), but its good for rush hours, and i would use the (W) only at rush hours.

3.Id would not start ordering R179's and any other trains right now when money is tight.

Archived