CT Transit to Suspend Bus Fares In Face of Rising Gas Prices

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That wouldn't even be remotely funny if it were one.

Anyway, not sure what exactly is going on with CT & all these offerings of fare-free rides as of late...

On 3/27/2022 at 8:17 AM, B35 via Church said:

That wouldn't even be remotely funny if it were one.

Anyway, not sure what exactly is going on with CT & all these offerings of fare-free rides as of late...

They have a budget surplus, so at the very least they can afford suspending bus fares for a bit...

On 3/29/2022 at 12:04 AM, paulrivera said:

They have a budget surplus, so at the very least they can afford suspending bus fares for a bit...

Funny thing about a budget surplus is that you have one... until you no longer don't.

Although it comes off as humanitarian, I'd still say it's bizarre to have a public transit provider suspend fares for that reason...

I'm not buying that a budget surplus was the reason why they did this fare-free offering, at least this time around (I do think it helped make their decision, however). 

What it comes down to is (national) politics. Dude's up for reelection, and national sentiment has trickled down more in local races over the tears. It looks like Democrats might get their clocks cleaned come in November, because they haven't done enough to mitigate the effects of inflation (including gas prices) or provided sufficient assistance to folks (among other things). Then you have Republicans fighting over running on nothing or running on deeply unpopular platforms in order to do the same old bullshit they do once they get power. Dude's trying to save his ass, and that of his colleagues too. 

You could also say something similar for the fare-free offering last summer, since the purpose was to help boost the local economy and help businesses recover financially from the pandemic, while simultaneously giving people some financial relief too. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 5:05 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I'm not buying that a budget surplus was the reason why they did this fare-free offering, at least this time around (I do think it helped make their decision, however). 

What it comes down to is (national) politics. Dude's up for reelection, and national sentiment has trickled down more in local races over the tears. It looks like Democrats might get their clocks cleaned come in November, because they haven't done enough to mitigate the effects of inflation (including gas prices) or provided sufficient assistance to folks (among other things). Then you have Republicans fighting over running on nothing or running on deeply unpopular platforms in order to do the same old bullshit they do once they get power. Dude's trying to save his ass, and that of his colleagues too. 

You could also say something similar for the fare-free offering last summer, since the purpose was to help boost the local economy and help businesses recover financially from the pandemic, while simultaneously giving people some financial relief too. 

And if it does turn out it was for that very purpose to win votes,  but fail, oof goes the Dems...