How would you run the MTA(Other TAs) as Chairman/CEO

mark1447

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE, as I could edit this and stay ON TOPIC. thanks =)

Seeing that the MTA and the economy is at crises, how would you change the MTA for the better..

Read more via here: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Get-Ready-for-the-MTAs-Doomsday-Budget.html

This can also include non-MTA services, such as NJT, PA-NY-NJ, PATH, Amtrak, METRO and so on

For Me the MTA, id try to keep the fares at 1.50 rather then $(2). I would spend more time focusing on important issues, such as the Lexington avenue problem, and the use of the SAS.

Expand the +Select Bus Services to other buses in MaBSTOA/NYCTA not just the Bx12, soon the M15 and I think the B44..

Id request from the gov't to be an indepent firm rather then the surfering with the Gov'ts bs. Work with other TAs to make not only NY a better transportation depot, but others in the USA..

Anyways those are my samples. Ill add more soon

what would you do:)

I'd hire people from NJ transit and amtrak who know what they are doing.

Then, i'd SELL old equipment vs reef/landfill.

Also, i would be in government offices every day kicking their arses for proper funding.

On top of those things i would also do objective random visits, ride the whole (NYCT) system all over and take notes & see what can be improved.

I would not own a car and depend on the system to get me where i need to go.

- A

I'd keep most of the people. Except the ones responsible for proposing grade timers. Otherwise, most MTA folks seem pretty sound.

Then I'd fund them so that they could build my fantasy map...

What's so bad about grade timers?

Grade and Station Timers are essential in providing safety and enforcing train speed....But then again what's better than a N train flying across the Manny B (if it somehow makes it across without the bridge going the way of the Tacoma Narrows) and flying around the curve and slamming into the wall Malbone Street style? Why does everyone want to get rid of them :confused:

They can seriously hinder capacity, especially when placed on station exits. The real solution to 125/Lex northbound is not a 10mph grade timer, and less still reducing the speed still further (that will make even 28tph impossible), but replacing the switch with one rated for more than 10mph.

But even without replacing the switch, the enforcement attitude is broken.

I would cut the (V) and add more (G) service. One thing I wanna cut so badly is <4> service passing 138th Street. It sucks. No point for it what so ever. I'd extended service hours on the (:( to have it run on the weekends. And I'd add express service on the (A) between Aqueduct and 80th Street.

I would cut the (V) and add more (G) service. One thing I wanna cut so badly is <4> service passing 138th Street. It sucks. No point for it what so ever. I'd extended service hours on the (:( to have it run on the weekends. And I'd add express service on the (A) between Aqueduct and 80th Street.

The 4 bypass at 138th Street is ridiculous. I ride the 4 everyday uptown in the morning (pass by around 6:50-7:00), it only skips one stop and it crawls through the bypassed station.

And I'd add express service on the (A) between Aqueduct and 80th Street.

They would really have to fix up those tracks on the Far Rockaway branch then. They look like who did it and ran.

Anyway, to resume witht he topic, as CEO, I would have stopped purchasing cars a long time ago. What good are new cars when later on down the line, the MTA would find itself in a position where all of its infrastructure and their erspective components are in a compromised state?

They would really have to fix up those tracks on the Far Rockaway branch then. They look like who did it and ran.

Anyway, to resume witht he topic, as CEO, I would have stopped purchasing cars a long time ago. What good are new cars when later on down the line, the MTA would find itself in a position where all of its infrastructure and their erspective components are in a compromised state?

The CEO's of (MTA) don't have the common sense God gave them, then again they don't have any common sense. i never seen such a greddy conniving transportation company in my life

The 4 bypass at 138th Street is ridiculous. I ride the 4 everyday uptown in the morning (pass by around 6:50-7:00), it only skips one stop and it crawls through the bypassed station.

The 4 does this so it doesn't back up the 5 line after it merges. It is not a time saving express run.

Nothing, they actually serve a very important purpose. Particularly before dangerous curves, going around curves, leading into switches, or going down steep grades (particulary ones leading into curves) they ensure that the train APPROACHES AT A SAFE SPEED by not clearing unless the T/O is doing the posted speed (provided the timers are set to clear correctly which is a whole nother issue I wont get into for the sake of simplicity of the post).

The reason timers get their name is because they count off how long it takes to get from signal to signal while doing the posted speed limit. Say it takes 10 seconds. Then the timer will clear in 10 seconds. If a train doesn't clear the timer, that means the T/O was averaging more than the speed limit. By putting timers before the curve, you give the train enough time to emergency stop before it gets to the hazard in case something happens to the T/O and he falls on the controller keeping the deadman down.

You got two types of timers, one shot and two shot. One shots are simplest so I can explain them first. It's red until it clears, then it clears to green. You miss it, your initials become BIE. Two shot timers are preceded by a yellow signal acting as an approach, so the actual timer is always the red signal beyond the yellow you see. By rule book The yellow approach is supposed to clear to green before the train passes, but if the T/O misses, no BIE, he gets a second chance to get it right before his train gets dumped.

And timers aren't as restrictive as wheel detectors. In the above scenario, say the posted limit is 20. Say the T/O does 10 for half the distance to the signal, now he can wrap it, get to 25 let's say, knock it off, and still clear the signal while doing above the limit. But Wheel detectors sense the wheels going over the track, so if the T/O goes over 20, CHOW. These are used more sparingly where you have a very serious speed restriction (City Hall Loop is one place)

What needs to be done however is to eliminate those timers that serve no purpose. Fulton St. N/B on the 4/5 is one. GT 10 into the station. Why? Straight length of track, followed by a curve yes, but preceded by a station stop. Even if a train is bypassing the station, he's limited to 15MPH leaving by rule book, which is safe for that curve, and if there are workers on the track it's 10MPH the whole way until he clears them. There are a handful of signals similar to this that don't make a whole lot of sense (most of CPW S/B express), those are the ones that need to be taken out. And as for "punishing" the person who devised the timers, as i said they actually have a very real and useful purpose and besides it's quite likely that person is already happily retired.

Start firing unneeded and unwanted levels of management. Tighten exec expense accounts and make them ride the services instead of riding around in stretch limos and taxpayer-funded cars. Refer anyone found taking or passing money under the table to the U.S. Attorney for futher action (read: prosecution).

Grade and Station Timers are essential in providing safety and enforcing train speed....But then again what's better than a N train flying across the Manny B (if it somehow makes it across without the bridge going the way of the Tacoma Narrows) and flying around the curve and slamming into the wall Malbone Street style? Why does everyone want to get rid of them :confused:

Some of them are necessary but the bulk of them are too strict. For example, IINM there was a curve on the (L) before CBTC/ATS that the (L) had to manage at under 10mph. Now it can do 22MPH.

Some of them are necessary but the bulk of them are too strict. For example, IINM there was a curve on the (L) before CBTC/ATS that the (L) had to manage at under 10mph. Now it can do 22MPH.
That GT signal is still there, I don't think they raised the speed limit on it.

Archived