RSMG106

Here is something unique. According to Via Garibaldi 8, both Eastchester and Yonkers exchange and borrow equipment often. This process is similar to the Staten Island division. However, the key difference is that Staten Island express buses can be borrowed for either rush-hours, or missing runs. 3266 is an example of this. Note that this bus was on the BXM11 (with the EC sticker)20220609-131751.jpg

Edited by RSMG106

29 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

Here is something unique. According to Via Garibaldi 8, both Eastchester and Yonkers exchange and borrow equipment often. This process is similar to the Staten Island division. However, the key difference is that Staten Island express buses can be borrowed for either rush-hours, or missing runs. 3266 is an example of this. Note that this bus was on the BXM11 (with the EC sticker)20220609-131751.jpg

Right now, Eastchester & Yonkers are all over the place with this new bus order.  We're getting the new express buses on the Yonkers lines, but just about every old express bus I get now has been a current or former Eastchester express bus.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Right now, Eastchester & Yonkers are all over the place with this new bus order.  We're getting the new express buses on the Yonkers lines, but just about every old express bus I get now has been a current or former Eastchester express bus.

This happened to me on my first and only time on the BXM3 trip before the Bronx redesign takes place this June. The only buses I've been on were the CLs (3389 and 3427). 3427 was an Eastchester unit. 

Once they complete the new order, they both have to decide on what to do with the CLs.

13 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

This happened to me on my first and only time on the BXM3 trip before the Bronx redesign takes place this June. The only buses I've been on were the CLs (3389 and 3427). 3427 was an Eastchester unit. 

Once they complete the new order, they both have to decide on what to do with the CLs.

I'm not sure what you mean by decide, but the current order is not enough to get rid of all of the old express buses, so it would appear that they will be keeping the latest oldest express buses likely from say 2007 or whenever these depots last had new buses.  

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by decide, but the current order is not enough to get rid of all of the old express buses, so it would appear that they will be keeping the latest oldest express buses likely from say 2007 or whenever these depots last had new buses.  

I agree. For the next order if greenlit, Yonkers would need 56 buses, and Eastchester would need 59 buses respectively, to get rid of all of the CLs in their fleet. However, they should at least keep the 2007s in their fleet until the time has come.

5 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I agree. For the next order if greenlit, Yonkers would need 56 buses, and Eastchester would need 59 buses respectively, to get rid of all of the CLs in their fleet. However, they should at least keep the 2007s in their fleet until the time has come.

The ironic thing as I was discussing in my group yesterday, everyone wanted the new buses, and now people are trying to avoid them to get the old ones. I would expect this order to likely be delayed again, as another has popped up that riders are not happy about.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The ironic thing as I was discussing in my group yesterday, everyone wanted the new buses, and now people are trying to avoid them to get the old ones. I would expect this order to likely be delayed again, as another has popped up that riders are not happy about.

I can understand this situation. I do like the new buses, but I can understand that the legroom is not comfortable (even though they resolved this issue), and some people might head in the back of the bus for better legroom. I've been on College Point and Far Rockaway's new buses, and they feel okay. I think riders are not ready for the decision to retire the old equipment.

28 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I can understand this situation. I do like the new buses, but I can understand that the legroom is not comfortable (even though they resolved this issue), and some people might head in the back of the bus for better legroom. I've been on College Point and Far Rockaway's new buses, and they feel okay. I think riders are not ready for the decision to retire the old equipment.

The legroom issue has been resolved (to the extent possible), but that is only one problem. The latest issue now is these new floor-to-ceiling shields that block off the aisle and the only exit on the express bus.  Some people have claustrophobia and have grave concerns about being enclosed like that for hours.  There is a big concern about what happens if the bus operator loses consciousness and how people will get out, and yes we're aware of the windows and those emergency exits, but that's besides the point. There is one door to get on and off of the bus and it should be accessible at all times. 

In 2013, an express bus that I was actually supposed to be taking home (I was lucky in that I was stuck in my office for a bit longer and got the next bus to Riverdale) saw 25 people injured when the bus operator had a medical episode and lost consciousness. The only reason that there were "only" 25 injuries and no fatalities is because a passenger was able to run to the front of the bus and steer it to safety.  All of the people that were on that bus got on my bus, including the guy that steered that bus, and everyone was visibly shaken up. I have already reached out about this and some people have contacted their elected officials.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/13-injured-in-upper-east-side-bus-crash/

The other issue is the Stop Requested situation. They have removed the bell in the front of the bus, which means that the screens are supposed to display the Stop Requested alert when someone rings the bell. Problem is either it does momentarily or it doesn't at all, so people ring the bell then freak out because they didn't hear the chime of the bell and don't see anything to indicate that they pressed it, so that leads to panic and people running to the front to tell the driver, etc. Basically chaos... Something else I reached out about. These are things that should've been handled properly from the beginning... I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

3266 has been a Yonkers unit for nearly a year. It just that Yonkers didn't bother placing their depot decal on the ex Eastchester units. There are other MCI's they got from Eastchester that still sport the old depot decal.

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The legroom issue has been resolved (to the extent possible), but that is only one problem. The latest issue now is these new floor-to-ceiling shields that block off the aisle and the only exit on the express bus.  Some people have claustrophobia and have grave concerns about being enclosed like that for hours.  There is a big concern about what happens if the bus operator loses consciousness and how people will get out, and yes we're aware of the windows and those emergency exits, but that's besides the point. There is one door to get on and off of the bus and it should be accessible at all times. 

In 2013, an express bus that I was actually supposed to be taking home (I was lucky in that I was stuck in my office for a bit longer and got the next bus to Riverdale) saw 25 people injured when the bus operator had a medical episode and lost consciousness. The only reason that there were "only" 25 injuries and no fatalities is because a passenger was able to run to the front of the bus and steer it to safety.  All of the people that were on that bus got on my bus, including the guy that steered that bus, and everyone was visibly shaken up. I have already reached out about this and some people have contacted their elected officials.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/13-injured-in-upper-east-side-bus-crash/

The other issue is the Stop Requested situation. They have removed the bell in the front of the bus, which means that the screens are supposed to display the Stop Requested alert when someone rings the bell. Problem is either it does momentarily or it doesn't at all, so people ring the bell then freak out because they didn't hear the chime of the bell and don't see anything to indicate that they pressed it, so that leads to panic and people running to the front to tell the driver, etc. Basically chaos... Something else I reached out about. These are things that should've been handled properly from the beginning... I'll leave it at that.

1. I didn't know that the new shields would cause this issue on the new order.

2. I'm glad everyone survived, including the good Samaritan controlling the bus to safety.

3. The stop request bell is an issue for the Prevost fleet. The 2011 Prevosts from Ulmer Park had the same chime as the New Flyer and Orion fleet. The chime's volume is low, and it can create an issue. I was on the X28 last year when I pressed the button to request a stop. I was supposed to get off on Murray Street. However the B/O kept on driving, until I got to the front and asked politely to exit at Barclay Street. As for the 2020-22 Prevost order, the stop request indicator was removed, and the announcements will say the stop was requested. However, in some cases, the B/O will turn the announcements off, making it an issue when you are requesting to get off at the next stop. So far in my journeys on CP and FR's Prevost, there was no issues.

• 2 months later...