East Side Access / Grand Central Madison Project

With the current plan of the East Side Access to Grand Central Terminal promises to double the amount of trains on the Babylon Branch, and a route from: Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and all the way to Grand Central. My question is: How are they going to do this in the time of the end of the year?

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, trainfan22 said:

Your question is kind of confusing..

If your asking if they will have enough trains, they will bring the M3s back into service until there's enough M9s to replace them.

I have a question: wouldn’t the M3s be restricted to Atlantic Terminal-Jamaica Shuttles and the trips to/from Penn Station? I think I read somewhere that only M7s and M9s could go to Grand Central via the LIRR

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I have a question: wouldn’t the M3s be restricted to Atlantic Terminal-Jamaica Shuttles and the trips to/from Penn Station? I think I read somewhere that only M7s and M9s could go to Grand Central via the LIRR

Yeah, the M3s won't be allowed to go to GCT cause they aren't compatible with the new signal system in those tunnels. 

On 9/30/2022 at 9:10 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I prefer the M3s over the M7s and M9s.

I like the M3s too but it seems like this preference is the exception not the norm. LIRR riders despise the M3s:lol:  

I like all three equally for the most part. By the time I had money to fan commuter rail routes routes the M7s had taken over and the M1s were long gone so getting the M3s were an treat because they are kind of uncommon if you aren't a regular rider.

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I like all three equally for the most part. By the time I had money to fan commuter rail routes routes the M7s had taken over and the M1s were long gone so getting the M3s were an treat because they are kind of uncommon if you aren't a regular rider.

I can't stand the knee-to-knee seating in the middle of the M7s and M9s. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, trainfan22 said:

Your question is kind of confusing..

If your asking if they will have enough trains, they will bring the M3s back into service until there's enough M9s to replace them.

The whole M9 order won't fully replace all the M3s. The M9A order will fully replace the M3s. Since the M9A is heavily delayed and there is no manufacturer willing to build, the M3s will stay for quite some time.