Orange 6th ave Q still existing

mark1447

I think there's still some station signage that uses the old (Q6), too.

yup. if u go to the Newkirk station on the SB (:D track, in the fornt u will see the (Q6)

I think also at franklen ave on the (S) (where it meets the (2)<5>(3)(4)

yup. if u go to the Newkirk station on the SB (B) track, in the fornt u will see the (Q6)

I think also at franklen ave on the (S) (where it meets the (2)<5>(3)(4)

Avenue J had a (Q) peel off awhile back to reveal a (Q6), but they reapplied it. Same thing happened a few years back with a (K) at 23rd St. People actually blogged about that instance. :D

Avenue J had a (Q) peel off awhile back to reveal a (Q6), but they reapplied it. Same thing happened a few years back with a (K) at 23rd St. People actually blogged about that instance. :D

This also goes for the (C), go to 145th on the Concouse bronx platform, u will see in the middle of the station (C) to bedford rather then (B)

and 145th and broadway, i think the (9) is still shown lol

The (Q6) shows up on the NYCT service alerts and is used frequently by NY1 with their weekend rail & road report. Not to mention NY1's map still has the pre-Manhattan Bridge north side reopening. The socks like other TM map-oriented merchandise probably hasn't been updated in 10 years. Not a big deal since I doubt most people are thrown by an orange (Q6) and probably don't understand the color significance anyway. :D

Even in the days of the (Q6) with slants, I recall once seeing a <Q> pull into DeKalb Ave.

has to do with the code for the image, sort of like how you type [Q] here (replace brackets with () to do it) and it makes (Q). Well if you type [Q6] you get (Q6). on the MTA site I think just typing Q gets you 6th ave and you have to type another image name to get the yellow so its probably a frequent intern mistake as they say heh.. I could be wrong on this one, but it's easy to mix up since it's coded into the page and can't be seen if its right or wrong till its published

Northeast stairway at 242nd St & Broadway still displays (1)(9) too hah.

The <5> still exist too lol

I also go a shot of the Old (4)<5> sign over at Nevins SB Express

i took:

S7300524.jpg

S7300526.jpg

I love old stuff :D

also some Former i over heard on the (5) express in the bx, said that the Old Dyre tracks at 180th has old signs, man i need to go there

Church Ave (?) on the Brighton line has all the old signage like (QB) and (D) and (M) on the old fluorescent backlit plastic cels above the platforms. Unfortunately they're all covered with a layer of paint. You can stick make out some of them, though.

One pass of paintstripper over those and we'll be back in the 80s. :D

Church Ave (?) on the Brighton line has all the old signage like (QB) and (D) and (M) on the old fluorescent backlit plastic cels above the platforms. Unfortunately they're all covered with a layer of paint. You can stick make out some of them, though.

really? it exist there?? wat side even tho its painted, I wanna get a shot of that B)

All tracks have it, I think. If you look up from a window seat on without getting off you can even see them. They don't face in from the track, but outward from the celings above the platform. You might have to look athe flat surface for a second to still see the route bullets. Some areas have heavier coats of paint than others too.

Is that even paint, or is it that black stuff they paste over signs to change them? (Paint thinner would take off the old bullets if they were on the outside, and could also mess up the plastic).

That "black stuff" is actually blank black decal cut from a roll to cover newly erroneous route signs, or to cover bullets of lines that no longer run at a station. Sometimes there will be printed decal "correction" strips that will cover an old sign, or parts.

This is different. These are not standard station route signs. Apparently, the MTA decided not continue producing clear cells for these signs, and just painted them. Then hung standard ones at platform edges. I believe these may be unique, although I thought there was at least another station somewhere with them.

There may be some kind of solvent that could b used to save this signage, but since they just painted them, I doubt the MTA wants to recover them.

Incidentally, the signs look like some of the station signatures some members have here. Bullets on a black square on a white station route sign with black print.

Yeah; "blank decal"; that was a good way of putting it I couldn;t think of at the moment.

But if I remember correctly, that's what it looked like it was. Even though those signs are fdifferent, they could still use that to cover up the outdated info. At least, I think I remember seeing somewhere where they pasted that stuff over a clear sign.

Nope. There are paint strokes on this, and not even coverage. That's why I noticed it. (Although I do rememeber them exposed as a kid, so I did recognize what I was seeing) It's the same paint as what was used on the structure above. They just went and covered the whole thing. Decals would have been better, but no one thought this through. :D

Archived