Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R421969

Do they paint the Roofs of the R42's???

I was wondering cause it bugs me out...do they paint the roofs of the R42s? im asking because sometimes I see a roof ever so silvery with a seemingly flat paint coat and then I see some that are ever so RUSTY then i see some with the fresh coat and some rust showing...

It seems 2 be a thin layer in it looks like its brand new Carbon steel on that roof not any kind of coatinf or paint...but the rust builds back up. I think it must be the same with the R38...because those guys look like the titanic on the top

Oh man u had 2 see them like...i say about a year ago or so the roofs looked like they were abuse victims it was kinda gross I think they sanded it down cause the rusty spots werent flat rusty AREAS like it is now...

Well, the roof seems to be rust-free but I was wondering if it has anything to do with smoke or fire involving this or just plain ole rust due to the rust-free chemical or material expiring...

I was on the (J), the remaining R42s have a good deal of rust. It's due to age and exposure to corrosives I believe. Dude... honestly, you go to school?

Yes R42, I did see a couple of sets on your favourite line!!! :)

I go to school and MTR, I guess you just hang around on forums all day without knowing that you ain't going to school...

Dude. He's 16. He's required by law to go to school, unless he's a super-genius and graduated high school already.

And I seriously doubt that it's smoke and fire. Something like that that damages subway cars would probably make the news. Most likely just rust.

I go to school and MTR, I guess you just hang around on forums all day without knowing that you ain't going to school...

Son, I'm a junior at Bronx Science. Should I give you some calculus and epidemiology problems to bat out at?

And I have a life and use it. I spend the same amount of forum time as the people here. I never have one sided relationships with subway cars or call any "my favourite". I believe people should move on, instead of defending to one's death the train that one loves.

Dude. He's 16. He's required by law to go to school, unless he's a super-genius and graduated high school already.

And I seriously doubt that it's smoke and fire. Something like that that damages subway cars would probably make the news. Most likely just rust.

Tsk, thanks for pointing that piece of logic out, 7LineFan. Graduation is not until June '10. Lol.

It is not smoke and fire. It is more age. According to chemistry (Regents and AP) metal would corrode as it is exposed to air. Since the roofs were exposed to oxygen (a corroder) for a good amount of time without a protective covering (such as paint), the metal would weaken into rust through chemical process.

MTR, you are in Bronx Science so? Don't be proud of yurself! And I side with all cars that were ordered and went revenue in 1999 and before... So, if you like 'new' then you like 'new'... No excuse whatsoever Mr. Serious Bronx Science Junior...

I don't strut myself around. I assert my school and my position to refute your assertion that I do not attend school and waste myself out. I did not show any school pride in my statement. If you want real Bronx Science pride, WE can show you it.

I don't side with ANY car in the system. All cars, in my view, have the same function: To transport people in and out. They look different and have different aesthetics. They can be faster than each other. They can look better than each other. But over all, in terms of a utilitarian perspective: they are more or less, the same. I personally think it is infantile for one to argue to the death about how one class of cars is better than the others. (And I don't care about which) And I make my point clear. I believe the best is the best for the people, not the best for certain individuals. I favour general opinion rather than individualised opinion.

I don't give care about what is new. New today is old some day.

May I ask, kindly, what your educational level is.

I am not making any personal attacks, but I am just refuting arguments using common sense, logic, reasoning and transit knowledge.

Well, smoke may also do that as well as fire... Burn parts of metal but dude... Can't you just stop thinking about excuses that seems just too stupid... Metal will get dark spots for fire that is put out almost immediately or immediatly!

There is no serious fire that has occurred on the R42s. If there is such a case, it would be registered into the NYCSubway site. Now if there is one case, then yes. But since many cars have rusty roofs, you can't say fire struck all of them at once. :eek: I'll buy the smoke thing. But I would say the main reason for the roof to be so rusty is that it has been exposed to air for quite a long time without having a protective covering that protects it from corroding away.