Future of the R160 Post-Doomsday

Lefferts Blvd X

I'm just curious to see what you think will happen if the (W) and (Z) lines are indeed eliminated, what would happen to the R160s that serve those lines...

The (Z) isn't even a real line anyway, it's just a less confusing way to designate the skip-stop service. Add'l (J) local service will be added so they'll need cars for that. And since the (Q) will be extended to Astoria any (W) R160's will probably be used there because more trains will have to run there also since the (Q)'s trip will now be longer

Well, the (Z) is no use, and was always no usewe will see no more express on the Jamaica Line. For the (W) it was a way to relieve the (R) and (N). Though the Broadway Line might be more crowded, I think they can handle it. The (N) might have to run local in Brooklyn and the (Q) might have to run local in Manhattan.

The (Z) isn't even a real line anyway, it's just a less confusing way to designate the skip-stop service. Add'l (J) local service will be added so they'll need cars for that. And since the (Q) will be extended to Astoria any (W) R160's will probably be used there because more trains will have to run there also since the (Q)'s trip will now be longer

Where did you find out the (Q) will be extended to astoria?

Where did you find out the (Q) will be extended to astoria?

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6400

There you go, but it said nothing about the (N) or (Q) trains making local stops via Broadway AM/PM rush hours nor mid-days nor the (Q) making local stops late nights!

So if the (N) is routed via bridge, Late nights only? What will be through the tube, the (Q)? Also, if the (Q) is extended to Astoria, Im sure, late nights & weekends it will continue to terminate at Midtown-57 St/7 Av. It looks like the (Q) will remain express & the (N) will probably have to go local. Here we go again, reviving the 90s with (N)(R) Local service, but now the (Q) is visible...Its also a shame to see the (M) leave Southern Brooklyn. The (M) has been part of the Southern BMT Tribe forever. I hope one day it will make its return to Bay Parkway or another Southern BMT Route, that Can utilize it..

So if the (N) is routed via bridge, Late nights only? What will be through the tube, the (Q)? Also, if the (Q) is extended to Astoria, Im sure, late nights & weekends it will continue to terminate at Midtown-57 St/7 Av. It looks like the (Q) will remain express & the (N) will probably have to go local. Here we go again, reviving the 90s with (N)(R) Local service, but now the (Q) is visible...Its also a shame to see the (M) leave Southern Brooklyn. The (M) has been part of the Southern BMT Tribe forever. I hope one day it will make its return to Bay Parkway or another Southern BMT Route, that Can utilize it..

I don't see the point of making the (N) local b/c the (W) will get cut.....if the Lexington Avenue Line can handle two expresses and one local so can the Broadway Line....if the (R) is crowded then its crowded.....the (6) is crowded 24/7 I don't see (MTA) adding the 8 or 12 train

Well, the R46's will go to the (R), (V) and (E) when the (F) gets the R160's and there will be additional service on the (R) and (N) possibly if doomsday plan of cutting service doesn't go through... (Q) will go to Astoria weekdays 5:02 am to 12:00 am only... No late night/weekends/holiday service to Astoria... And I feel the Broadway Line will follow the Lex and 7th Ave. IRT to make it fair...

umm...WHERE are you getting this 'information' from?? And to quote the great 80's show sledge hammer I hope it is not from "more reliable sources" such as "rumor and small children"...

I hear ya, the (M) has always been running somehwere through south Brooklyn, whether it was Brighton, Sea Beach or West End. And it's always been going via Montague St. to get to either of it's different destinations over the decades. I don't travel that end of the (M) but I agree it's a shame for anyone who relies on it on that end

I hear ya, the (M) has always been running somehwere through south Brooklyn, whether it was Brighton, Sea Beach or West End. And it's always been going via Montague St. to get to either of it's different destinations over the decades. I don't travel that end of the (M) but I agree it's a shame for anyone who relies on it on that end

Keep your Bay Parkway Signature Strong my friend!:cool::D

I collected it from forums and expectations...

Just a friendly word of advice...Forums are only as reliable as the person posting them. And "expectations" are the source of much of the misinformation that's out there...those are more like opinions than facts...stick to what is heard from employees or others in the know and you will be golden

Right now we don't know how often (Q) service will be going to Astoria but 57/7 will still be a (Q) terminal. The (N) will be Local in Mahattan going over the Manhattan Bridge at all times. Those that want service on the (N) Line between Canal St and Pacific Street will have to use the (4) during overnight hours if the plan takes effect. The reason is by going over the Bridge the running time is cut and that will cut a job or two.

As for the R46's they will still be running on the (F)(G)(R)(V) Lines. The (E) as of now will replace R32's with R160's. There is talk now the R160 may go to the (E) first instead of the (F) Line. The (E) Supt is behind that push but will see what happens.

I don't see the point of making the (N) local b/c the (W) will get cut.....if the Lexington Avenue Line can handle two expresses and one local so can the Broadway Line....if the (R) is crowded then its crowded.....the (6) is crowded 24/7 I don't see (MTA) adding the 8 or 12 train

The Lexington Avenue line is completely different than the Broadway line though. Both are incomparable because frequencies are very much different, and the areas they serve are different, along with demands. It makes sense to have the (N) go local if the (W) does end up being cut because the (R) would be insufficient for Broadway local service. It doesn't hurt to add 3-4 extra stops to the (N) in Manhattan at all times.

The Lexington Avenue line is completely different than the Broadway line though. Both are incomparable because frequencies are very much different, and the areas they serve are different, along with demands. It makes sense to have the (N) go local if the (W) does end up being cut because the (R) would be insufficient for Broadway local service. It doesn't hurt to add 3-4 extra stops to the (N) in Manhattan at all times.

It do hurt b/c no one wants to sit on a train making all local stops when they to get home faster on the express, but its w/e. If the (N) runs local I won't be on that train!

It do hurt b/c no one wants to sit on a train making all local stops when they to get home faster on the express, but its w/e. If the (N) runs local I won't be on that train!

It only adds three to four minutes to the trip tops. If it was more than 7-10 minutes being added to the trip, then it would hurt.

Well, the R46's will go to the (R), (V) and (E) when the (F) gets the R160's and there will be additional service on the (R) and (N) possibly if doomsday plan of cutting service doesn't go through... (Q) will go to Astoria weekdays 5:02 am to 12:00 am only... No late night/weekends/holiday service to Astoria... And I feel the Broadway Line will follow the Lex and 7th Ave. IRT to make it fair...

It is TOO distant (even though we are 2-3 months from the so-called "expected debut" of the R160s on the F) for us to assume/predict what lines will run which cars. We have to wait until the F gets the cars and see what will happen afterward.

WHAT??? THE BROADWAY LINE WILL FOLLOW THE LEX AND 7TH AVE IRT TO MAKE IT FAIR??? What are you talking about?

It only adds three to four minutes to the trip tops. If it was more than 7-10 minutes being added to the trip, then it would hurt.

Yes. The Broadway Local is not that slow above Canal St. The real benefit of the express is the Bridge. He may not be on that train, but many will have no choice since they can't get home any faster if they live along the (N) line. The only express being the (Q) probably won't save any time since you would have to transfer to the (N) local at 14th St anyway.

Archived