MTA pushing for 23% fare hike to cover 2009 budget shortfall

Trainspotter

You say that now because when you don't pay taxes. Just wait till you are working and paying taxes. I don't want my money to be used to bail out companies that weren't financially responsible.

As a taxpayer I say MTA needs help as far as transit systems go, gov't gives virtually nothing to transit compared to other countries. What I want to see is cuts in other areas. Like education (sorry Y2Julio), but every year education spending goes up, test scores go down it seems. Meanwhile it's become a huge bureaucracy eating up a lot of money that could go other places, and people run campaigns based on "save the children" and "it's for the kids" but you look at where that money is going, it's going to the richest school districts so they can get soccer fields and new gyms while inner city schools that would use a FRACTION of that money use outdated textbooks. and the rest of the money could be used to fund things that people actually use like infrastructure and transit. And I'd LOVE to see them raise the gasoline tax because we've been catering to automobile companies too long and they haven't done a thing. They were supposed to retool their plants and build eco-friendly cars, instead they pocketed it, flew down to Washington in private jets and begged for more.

And of course getting the hell out of the Middle East would certainly help when we could cut down on military expenditures, and bring our young men and women back where they could contribute to the economy as both consumers and workers as opposed to them risking their lives to help prop up whatever semi-stable governments we've helped set up in those countries...

And it's really getting beyond pathetic when CHINA is more environmentally responsible than we are--in this particular respect, at least. Though more and more Chinese people are buying cars. We should be emulating them, and they're emulating US. We're a bad influence, is what we are.

Well, we don't have to be. We keep talking about change--do we actually want it? Because honestly, genuine change is not without its little inconveniences. But we're in danger of far worse than inconvenience, if we keep going down the road we're on.

Yeah, China always have a big thing about the United States. We caused the McDonald, Soda, KFC and Pizza Hut thing in China. The cars are influenced by the United States. I just will say that Chinese education is better than America... And in China, it is much more fun to travel and everyone is like very nice to each other. No hating unless something happens.

~Well, that is my expirence, you may have all rights to disagree.

Chinese education is a way better of America; because they teach different languages there, but it's way overcrowded. We gave the, what you said and now they like DONUTS. Seriously. But in China; i have to disagree with you. No one is nice. People get robbed, killed, and they sell babies for no reason. It's a living hell-hole in some cities in China.

Oh c'mon--nobody is nice in China? Almost a billion and a half people, and they're all a-holes? That has not been my experience with Chinese people here at all, and it hasn't been the experience of most people who have travelled in China, from Marco Polo onwards.

Really good people, really bad government--but even so, it does some things better than our government, and mass transit is one of them. Maybe now, with Obama, we can change that.

Oh c'mon--nobody is nice in China? Almost a billion and a half people, and they're all a-holes? That has not been my experience with Chinese people here at all, and it hasn't been the experience of most people who have travelled in China, from Marco Polo onwards.

Really good people, really bad government--but even so, it does some things better than our government, and mass transit is one of them. Maybe now, with Obama, we can change that.

Really? you must not ride the subway a lot. They are the most rudest a**holes, always pushing into ppl getting off and ahead of people that are waiting for ppl leaving into the trains and never saying sorry.

2 Things I have to say;

1st-It's a real shame what the MTA is doing, raising the express bus fare by that much is a horrible idea. Like somebody said earlier, if the fare is raised, they'll only take it once week. Then the MTA looses $2.50 right there. And on the X28/X38 in brooklyn, I only see people taking it because it's more comfortable and safer than the train and they pay $10 a day just for it, but if the MTA raises the fare, those people can just take the train. I mean, seriously, the X28/X38 runs right by Coney Island Terminal and kind of close to 4th avenue-86th Street. Just take the train and save $11.

2nd-Don't complain about how China is better and smarter than us and we're ruining them with our fatty foods and non environmentally friendly cars. Why do you bother living here if you think China is better? And maybe China is smarter and healthier than us, but guess what. We're a free country, we can say what we want and we have the freedom to do what we want (to a certain extent...)

Dude Marco Polo was an italian that spent most of his life in China. I don't mean their all a-holes. The government and the people in some cities like Taiwan, Huangzhou, Beiljing, etc.

Really? you must not ride the subway a lot. They are the most rudest a**holes, always pushing into ppl getting off and ahead of people that are waiting for ppl leaving into the trains and never saying sorry.

I ride the subway every day--I see lots of Chinese people (native born and immigrants). I get down to Chinatown every chance I get. It's a stereotype in itself to say all Chinese people are polite and respectful--many are the opposite. But I can't say I've ever seen Chinese people behave any differently on the trains than everybody else.

So anyway, hearkening back to your opposition to my leashed dogs on the trains proposal, I guess in your perfect world, the entrance to every subway station would have one of these signs?

nodogs.jpg

Why am I not surprised?

;)

I ride the subway every day--I see lots of Chinese people (native born and immigrants). I get down to Chinatown every chance I get. It's a stereotype in itself to say all Chinese people are polite and respectful--many are the opposite. But I can't say I've ever seen Chinese people behave any differently on the trains than everybody else.

Look at Canal Street lower level during rush hours (3pm-7pm) and sometimes on the weekends, Coney Island bound N train at the first 4 or 5 cars.

Very rude people... They all pushing and shoving, trying to find seats, except it is SRO almost at all times. They not even polite when they are talking mad loud in the conversation with each other, even on the phone on the Manhattan Bridge.

Yeah, China always have a big thing about the United States. We caused the McDonald, Soda, KFC and Pizza Hut thing in China. The cars are influenced by the United States. I just will say that Chinese education is better than America... And in China, it is much more fun to travel and everyone is like very nice to each other. No hating unless something happens.

~Well, that is my expirence, you may have all rights to disagree.

WRONG, Education in China is still not better than in America. You still have to pay for education. Like America, you have the right to get free education from Pre-K to 12th Grade, unlike Chinese people they dont those kind of rights as Americans do.

Have you ever been in rural or suburban cities in China?

Chinese education is a way better of America; because they teach different languages there, but it's way overcrowded. We gave the, what you said and now they like DONUTS. Seriously. But in China; i have to disagree with you. No one is nice. People get robbed, killed, and they sell babies for no reason. It's a living hell-hole in some cities in China.

WRONG, They are not better in education. They still have to pay up. Parts of China still has old and not up to standard like the major cities in China on education.

Of course no one is nice in China. What I have been experience in China, they are friendly people and it is there living environment their enjoy.

Just cut out the racisim here. I have relatives there and they are really nice... But the subways and busses there, well everyone want to get some seat or inside because the doors are strong and if it closes on somebody, well the train anyways will start to move... But, yet China is more healthy, hospitals are fast (less than 24 hour, I got my full checkup results) and education is better compared to America, but freedom of speech and press is limited there. Well, not everybody is a a(beep)... So don't tell me this not true since I went there like a lot...

Well in the US it is opposite...

For the baby selling well it is in China still, and robbing and killing occurs all around the world! So deal with it...

You need to take a course in Chinese History.

Yes, China has improve a bit. They are building and expanding the infrastructure in transportation and other industries. The problem with China is still the quality of life in China and the environment.

Education still needs to improve to all children.

China is not getting healthy with all the food inspection problems lately, even there is large increase of fast food especially like KFC. Hospitals needs a lot of improvements, there many cases they are not treating and diagnostic correctly with poor equipment.

Lately, the baby selling is way down. China enforces the one child policy with healthy fines and penalties.

Don't complain about how China is better and smarter than us and we're ruining them with our fatty foods and non environmentally friendly cars. Why do you bother living here if you think China is better? And maybe China is smarter and healthier than us, but guess what. We're a free country, we can say what we want and we have the freedom to do what we want (to a certain extent...)

I disagree on China "is smarter and healthier". They are smart to invest on increasing and expanding the infrastructure in transportation and other industries to keep Chinese people working. Problem with that is China is ignoring lots issues that creates the infrastructure... people, labor, history, quality life, care, environment, etc.

Health in China, well they are improving except the standards are a joke. They havent had a safeguard procedure to prevent diseases that are increasing like HIV/AIDS, STD, lung cancer, etc....

Just for the record of this topic...

-They should just eliminate or increase the fee for the transfers to $0.50 or $1.00 from transferring to bus to subway, subway to bus or bus to bus, to offest the fare increase.

-Keep the local bus fares at $2.00. Just remove the late night service that MTA is proposing.

-Raise the subway fare to $2.25 or $2.50. Add to the list: Shut down the 3 Late night service, and the Rockaway Park shuttle at late nights, use buses instead.

-Raise the express fare to $6.00. Eliminate the useless express routes that has very low ridership like x20, x25, BxM7B, etc.

And they should allow people to bring leashed licensed well-behaved dogs on the trains during offpeak hours, in exchange for them paying a separate fare for the dog.

http://washingtontykes.blogspot.com/2008/11/muttrocard-idea-whose-time-has-come.html

This would bring in a lot more revenue than a lot of other suggestions I've seen, and the beauty part is that the dog owners being tapped would be GRATEFUL for the chance to finally be able to take their buddies around town without paying a fortune in cabfare.

Look at Canal Street lower level during rush hours (3pm-7pm) and sometimes on the weekends, Coney Island bound N train at the first 4 or 5 cars.

Very rude people... They all pushing and shoving, trying to find seats, except it is SRO almost at all times. They not even polite when they are talking mad loud in the conversation with each other, even on the phone on the Manhattan Bridge.

You do realize that the way you see Chinese people is the way the rest of the country sees ALL of us, right?

;)

You do realize that the way you see Chinese people is the way the rest of the country sees ALL of us, right?

This is to point out the fact that not all Chinese people behaved the same way. I made an example on transit related issue.

Archived