Green Bird R33 cars?

Novabus 5000

Well the R33 was painted as green and it did replace the other old colors and the green color worked but the (NYCT) chosed rebirds so the R33 that was green bird had then between 1985-1989 and in Decmber of 1989 the R33 Greenbird was repainted and became rebirds. In 2004 the R33 9068 (which is a museum pair) was repainted to green after the retirement and there is a R33 green bird pair 9068.

All of the older cars were converted to red paint because the green wasnt working & neither was the white.

- A

The Green paint did worked it just red painted was chosen for them and the bule stripes/sliver and white paint did not work because of the Graffiti.

All of the older cars were converted to red paint because the green wasnt working & neither was the white.

- A

Wasn't the white paint just temporary, to be reapplied after every tagging and then replaced with a more permanent coat?

And I believe that there was only one Greenbird train. It got repainted into red.

Forgotten-ny.com has more information on it, but i think the white was put on cars after they were hit, those ones were later painted and repainted white, then red then retired. The green ones may have been painted white after a hit, then also painted red later then retired in red. Of those retired in red some were probably painted their original green for the museum.

This is just from my memory & can be totally wrong. I'm no subway car historian.

- A

Wasn't the white paint just temporary, to be reapplied after every tagging and then replaced with a more permanent coat?

And I believe that there was only one Greenbird train. It got repainted into red.

no the white birds were to be permanent, but failed to protect from graffiti

no the white birds were to be permanent, but failed to protect from graffiti

I doubt that. If I remember the white paint was part of an effort to eliminate graffiti. As Metsfan said, they were painted over and over again as they were tagged, and then repainted in a graffiti resistant red.

We did have one green train which ran in (5)-(2) service for a while. IIRC the consist included the 8840 married pair. The green machine ran slow and was frequently out of service after rush hours because of this. When the cars went to the main shop to correct the motor problems it was re-painted as a redbird. As someone pointed out the green was just a test. We ran 9022-23 as a test unit for the speed indicators ,( not speedometer), which were not an original part on redbirds.

• 11 months later...

Archived