MTA Metro North Assistant conductor position

Harry5675

Greetings people, I applied for metro north assistant conductor position. I got a call for the exam and also passed it and got cleared for background check but my interview went bad and they rejected me at the last step after the interview. Anybody have tips and suggestions for how to make an impact and passed the interview it will be great deal to me  
so that next time if I get call back and go through the process again I don’t get stopped at the last step. Any piece of information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Harry5675 said:

Greetings people, I applied for metro north assistant conductor position. I got a call for the exam and also passed it and got cleared for background check but my interview went bad and they rejected me at the last step after the interview. Anybody have tips and suggestions for how to make an impact and passed the interview it will be great deal to me  
so that next time if I get call back and go through the process again I don’t get stopped at the last step. Any piece of information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I was told by a conductor to always stress safety over everything else. They care and emphasize the fact that you will always think about SAFETY first and foremost. Schedule and everything else comes second. You're in a safety sensitive position after all.

By the way, may I ask when you took your exam and how long it took for you to get the results? I've heard from the proctor that they're expediting the process to hire more assistant conductors but I need them to take their time haha.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

I was told by a conductor to always stress safety over everything else. They care and emphasize the fact that you will always think about SAFETY first and foremost. Schedule and everything else comes second. You're in a safety sensitive position after all.

By the way, may I ask when you took your exam and how long it took for you to get the results? I've heard from the proctor that they're expediting the process to hire more assistant conductors but I need them to take their time haha.

Lmao, nah I need the time to speed up.

38 minutes ago, Harry5675 said:

I have already reapply do you guys think they will be back for second or they won’t call at all since I failed the interview?

It's really up in the air. They won't invite you to take the exam for at least another year. I believe if you fail the interview, you just get thrown out and there's no second chances and you'll have to start back at square 1 if given another opportunity for an exam. Regarding the exam retake, you must wait at the very least a full year which is what the proctor said for another shot at an invitation. They will know if you've been selected before within that 1 year timeframe so they will not call you. 

Yea I know I have to wait for a year to take the exam which is fine I just hope since I reapply if there is another opening they consider me again to take the exam after and go through the process again. I don’t mind starting from square one, and good luck on your results I hope you get it, let me know when you hear from them.

Respectfully brotha, passing the interview is nowhere near the last step. If you pass you still have to be medically and physically cleared. Your in pre employment. You have to have your primary physician clear you to even take the physical agility test. Then the railroad doctors check you out. It’s like an analysis. Then there’s a drug test and once you clear another round of background screening for past drug tests from old jobs, then you start training. 

and even then your still a conditional employee that has to qualify as an A/C. I’m taking everything one day at time. Nothing is promised. There’s no last step IMO…until you qualify 

That being said. Don’t get discouraged. A year will fly by in no time. Keep trying and also don’t hesitate to try and get in via other positions. I think like a user mentioned above, safety is key but also on how to deal with people. Customer service is a big part of the operation.

Another piece of advice is to make sure you know as much about the railroad as possible. The names of the lines, some major stations. Some history. And memorize the job description. I can’t stress that enough. They want you to know what your daily responsibilities are…

I know that passing the interview is nowhere near there is drug test and passing training an all that. What I meant was for me interview was one of the last step to get the foot in drug test won’t be a issue. 

And hopefully within a year I do get to go through and get a call back again and I won’t make the same mistake. Thank you for the advice on what to focus on cause I didn’t focus on those parts. I am definitely gonna try with other positions that I qualify.

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 12:50 PM, Rgrimes said:

Hello, I am taking the test next week. Question  the definitions that they give to us for studying, is it required of us to write out the definition to the corelating word?

no, but be sure to study hard still because for some of the multiple choice questions. They may give a variation of the definition.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
50 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I got called to take the exam June 24 2023 can you tell me what to expect and are all the questions multiple choice ? 

The exam will be all multiple choice and some short-answer math. It will consist of 5 sections and you have to pass each one to result in a pass. First part is a mechanical aptitude (can't really study for it), next will be signals, math section (addition, subtraction, multiplication), and the last part is a personality test whether you agree with the statements or not and that will be the end of the exam. Sections 4 and 5 are the same thing just split into 2 sections.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 7:40 PM, danielhg121 said:

The exam will be all multiple choice and some short-answer math. It will consist of 5 sections and you have to pass each one to result in a pass. First part is a mechanical aptitude (can't really study for it), next will be signals, math section (addition, subtraction, multiplication), and the last part is a personality test whether you agree with the statements or not and that will be the end of the exam. Sections 4 and 5 are the same thing just split into 2 sections.

What kind of mechanical questions? 

2 hours ago, Jalonzo203 said:

What kind of mechanical questions? 

It’s things like that test your common sense in regards to mechanical aspects. What does the temperature of an icy drink do if you set it outside on a hot summer day? Which was does a ladder slide if not propped up? If you sit on one side of the seesaw, which side goes up? Things like that.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:47 PM, danielhg121 said:

It’s things like that test your common sense in regards to mechanical aspects. What does the temperature of an icy drink do if you set it outside on a hot summer day? Which was does a ladder slide if not propped up? If you sit on one side of the seesaw, which side goes up? Things like that.

What kind of math should I brush on? 

3 minutes ago, Jalonzo203 said:

What kind of math should I brush on? 

Addition, subtraction, multiplication. For addition, mainly adding multiple numbers in a single column and carrying over on top. Multiplication is probably with decimals and stuff. 

19 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Addition, subtraction, multiplication. For addition, mainly adding multiple numbers in a single column and carrying over on top. Multiplication is probably with decimals and stuff. 

Thanks you been a lot of help, have my test this saturday, know all definitions and signals so just seeing what else I should brush on.