NTT Brakes Question

The stations will smell like a burning carpet from all the burning brake pads. Cars without traction already used friction braking completely instead of in the last 5 miles per hour before absolute zero speed. There's a unique squeal and smell to it. 

On 8/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, texassubwayfan555 said:

(Sorry if I made a mistake as this is my first real post.)

Is it possible for any NTT to only run with air/friction brakes and no dynamic brakes? And are there any videos of it?

On tech trains the brake control unit (BCU) has a separate unit mounted called the Friction Brake Electronic Unit which has a link from the friction brakes to the propulsion system and many other networks as well. This controls friction braking on each truck separately. When it is detected that the propulsion system cannot compensate for the brake effort requested (dynamic braking is energy used to retard the train when speeds are greater than 7 mph) friction brakes are instead applied. Pretty much when a motor is dead frictions are the only braking available on the truck with the fault. You'll hear and smell it as well. 

27 minutes ago, Biggie said:

each truck separately

I was still wondering if there was a documented occurrence of only friction brakes on the whole train. I heard the braking system is designed to be able to operate with just air brakes if needed.

Thanks for the detailed answer and the video still.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I know about the emergency brakes.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

would never allow the trains to operate if that much of the dynamic system was offline

I thought maybe there were some rare times when a NTT would operate with no dynamic brakes, but I guess the MTA would rather take a train out of service than do that. Although I have seen videos on another transit system (Singapore MRT) of trains operating without dynamic brakes: here, here, and here.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, texassubwayfan555 said:

I thought maybe there were some rare times when a NTT would operate with no dynamic brakes, but I guess the MTA would rather take a train out of service than do that.

No instance none period....

Yes they would and this isn't Singapore...

to be honest, Texas, there are a whole host of otherwise simple problems that require us to take a train out of service.

If I have both door panels in a single doorway cut out, we have to take the train out of service.

If the PA breaks. Out of Service.

if any of the train's circuit breakers trips twice, Out of Service. 

So if the main breaking system on an NTT class train is offline, you know the train is gonna be out of service.