Model Power™ O, S and HO Gauge Compatible Airplanes

Model Power has made available a selection of 1/100 scale warplanes under the banner of "Postage Stamp Planes," a moniker no doubt inspired by the "Postage Stamp Trains" label used by Aurora to identify its line of Minitrix manufactured N scale trains imported during the late 1960's and early 70's.

Each Model Power plane is attractively packaged in a sturdy window box with a concise history of the prototype of the enclosed model included on the side panel. The models are of die cast construction and appear to be solidly built. I am 100% railroader and my only familiarities with aviation are the never ending delays with which I seemingly have to deal whenever I travel so I know next to nothing about planes. That said, the models appear to be accurately detailed to my untrained eye.

The planes caught my attention at one of my local train stores, Island Trains II in Middletown, as I am always on the lookout for items with potential applications in model railroading for myself and others. The concept of integrating airplanes into layouts is not a new one as Plasticville offered airport structures as part of its extensive catalog of buildings for railroading and the proprietors of the world famous Roadside America have incorporated an airfield into their O gauge display in Shartlesville, PA. While not an exact proportional match for O, S or HO, the planes' 1/100 scale makes them smaller than the trains in any of these gauges and they could be blended in at appropriate distances in accordance with the modeling principle of forced perspective. Also, using clear monofilament fishing line, they could be suspended from the ceiling to simulate flight, a method I have seen as well. In fact, my father has an HO scale hot air balloon suspended above a mountain in a far corner of his O gauge railroad and it looks perfect in that spot. Anything is possible with some creativity. I should mention a display stand is included with each model for those who would like to display them.

Island Trains II is selling the Model Power airplanes for $7.99 or $8.99 depending upon the specific model. The store's telephone number is 732-530-1700.

Regards,

Earle

Archived