Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
NYtransit

An R44 with the LIRR

These were speed tests for the R44's. I believe they got that thing up to 82mph or so.

Here is the info regarding the tests on the LIRR tracks.

On January 31, 1972, the Transit Authority used a consist of R44 cars to conduct speed trials on the Long Island Railroad's main line tracks between Woodside and Jamaica. The R44s set an official world speed record, for subway trains, of 87.75 mph, with TA personnel noting that the consist was still accelerating as it approached the end of the designated 5.9 mile-long test track. The TA repeated the speed trial, this time purposefully disabling two out of four motors per car, to indirectly simulate the effect of a rush hour crowd of passengers. The train still managed to reach 77 mph.

The R44s drew 650V DC from LIRR's third rail, a power supply system inherited from the Pennsylvania Railroad. The introduction of the Budd Company's high-performance M1 commuter MUs, beginning in 1968, mandated an upgrade of third-rail power to 750V DC in order to exploit the M1's capabilities. This work was carried out during 1971 and 1972, and was not quite finished when the R44s made their record-breaking runs. The trials demonstrated the potential of the newest generation of subway cars to offer high-speed service.

Broad channel is a bit remote & you don't want trains going that fast over the water!

The thing i find most interesting is that these subway cars are not too far off from the stuff PRR used to shuttle passengers between NJ and NY between 1910 and when electrification gaps were filled by 1920. Also of note, is the fact that sunnyside used to be 100% 3rd rail and the main yard for both LIRR service, and end of run service originating at nyp.

Some of the 3rd rail you see in penn station has been (with upgrades & regular maintenance & sections replaced of course) there since it opened!

Penn central used bottom contact 3rd rail to bring trains into GCT.

Both systems are largely still in place aside from the few miles of 3rd rail from nwk and nyp.

- A

Yup the speed test, couldnt they just use the broad channel tracks?

No, the track won't allow it, the stretch isn't long enough for what they wanted to do, and you've got the swing bridge out there, which requires the train slow down before it gets to the rail joints by the moving bridge parts

man the R44a used 2 be sexy...lol.

Does anyone know if the R44 is still the fastest subway car???

yeah, until GOH came in

@SubwayGuy- does that only go for Broad Channel? Also why do they wanna kno if its fast, doest the MTA limits the train speed to about 45 in the tunnels?

yeah, until GOH came in

@SubwayGuy- does that only go for Broad Channel? Also why do they wanna kno if its fast, doest the MTA limits the train speed to about 45 in the tunnels?

Not always true. I was on a 32 on the (R) a few years ago and the train hit 59 mph. Even the 46s can hit about 50.

but remember, fast down a steep grade (60th street tunnel) and fast down level track is different. any train can hit at least 55 mph in the 60th street tunnel...

yeah, until GOH came in

Transit tests speed during the acceptance phase, though the R44 seems to have gotten more attention than most. Today's trains accelerate pretty quickly to 35-40 MPH and then very...slowly...after that (assuming there's no steep downgrade). The R44 consist being tested was still accelerating as it hit its top speed at the marker for the end of the test. So if it was tested in the Rockaways they wouldn't have known what it was capable of.

As for the system in general, the speed restriction is whatever the signs in the tunnel say it is, depends on where you are in the system. They test the speed to ensure that the car is safe to operate given the constraints of the signal system. If it's too fast, a train that runs a red at a high enough speed will not be brought to a complete stop by the automatic stop arm in time to avoid whatever is causing that signal to be red.

The R46 before GOH used to run in service at MPH, but the signal system can't stop trains safely at those speeds. A friend of mine told me that when the IND first opened. trains on CPW on the express tracks would over shoot stations because they were going almost 50 or so mph. This was in the very early days with the R1/9s and on late nights and weekends they ran test trains on the express tracks to see how fast they could go. They also limited the top speed of the trains so they did not over shoot the platforms at 59th street and 125th street.

Yes, and the R-46 can be very fast but just slightly below the R-44 since they are realtively alike...

And the 32 and 38 are fast as well. =]!

yes they are on the Rockaways stretch they can sometimes hit 50 mph:cool:

R-160, I can bet that I will beat the R-44 in speed test... It absolutly blasts through the Broadway Express Track... I can't even see people and station signs clearly... Sooo fast and quick... That is what I call rapid transit! =D!

Ironically, due to its air bag suspension it actually feels slower than it is.