Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Relay Tracks?

mark1447

I notice in some stations like 168th street on the (C)(A) and Broad Channel (A)(S) has the Attention Sign or the signal for track switch buttons(what ever thats called, even tho i kno whats it for) that says Relay

what does that mean? Is it a word for Yard?

I notice in some stations like 168th street on the (C)(A) and Broad Channel (A)(S) has the Attention Sign or the signal for track switch buttons(what ever thats called, even tho i kno whats it for) that says Relay

what does that mean? Is it a word for Yard?

Relaying a train is the procedure for changing ends and running in the other direction.

The "relay" track is therefore the track used to make this maneuver. Hence the phrase "relay on (track #)" means that's the track you use to relay your train. Certain tracks are assigned for this purpose, those are the relay tracks, so you "punch for the relay" when you get to the punch box.

Laying up a train is the procedure for "parking" or storing a train in a yard or on siding somewhere

Archived