Does MTA challenge unemployment claims?

Tokay2323

You don't say why they terminated you and that is the key.  Like anywhere, employment is "at all" between the employer and the employee, and there is termination "with cause" or "without cause". Any employer can challenge an unemployment claim, but especially if an employee is terminated for cause.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Sorry , you’re right should’ve mentioned that . I was at the end of the line , had an undercover on the bus he pulled me out of the seat for a uniform check and noticed I had my cell phone in my pocket . I was pulled out service , reported back to the depot was given a 5 day suspension. Next day I was called to come in to the depot , I was then terminated cause I had a month left on probation. Zero tolerance rule while on probation is what I was told  , showed proof the phone was off for almost 9 hours but they didn’t care . Apparently Zerega said that phones were to kept in bags or the locker on the bus , so regardless if I used it or not I violated the phone policy 

5 minutes ago, Tokay2323 said:

Sorry , you’re right should’ve mentioned that . I was at the end of the line , had an undercover on the bus he pulled me out of the seat for a uniform check and noticed I had my cell phone in my pocket . I was pulled out service , reported back to the depot was given a 5 day suspension. Next day I was called to come in to the depot , I was then terminated cause I had a month left on probation. Zero tolerance rule while on probation is what I was told  , showed proof the phone was off for almost 9 hours but they didn’t care . Apparently Zerega said that phones were to kept in bags or the locker on the bus , so regardless if I used it or not I violated the phone policy 

Yes, zero tolerance is correct while on probation.  Now it doesn't hurt to file the claim for unemployment.  I will say this.  As someone who hires and fires people, I had someone that I had to fire years ago because of misconduct while on a job for me (dressed unprofessionally despite being told what the dress code was and unable to perform the job to our needs and those of our client (a law firm)). We paid them for the time worked and that was it.  If they had filed for unemployment, we would've challenged the claim. Every claim is different though, so who knows, but I would be shocked if the (MTA) was any different. The employer is the one that provides the unemployment payments, so I would be surprised if they paid out to someone they terminated with cause.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, zero tolerance is correct while on probation.  Now it doesn't hurt to file the claim for unemployment.  I will say this.  As someone who hires and fires people, I had someone that I had to fire years ago because of misconduct while on a job for me (dressed unprofessionally despite being told what the dress code was and unable to perform the job to our needs and those of our client (a law firm)). We paid them for the time worked and that was it.  If they had filed for unemployment, we would've challenged the claim. Every claim is different though, so who knows, but I would be shocked if the (MTA) was any different. The employer is the one that provides the unemployment payments, so I would be surprised if they paid out to someone they terminated with cause.

Yea I was aware it being zero tolerance for no texting , phone calls and headphones. Didn’t think having a phone in my pocket was a big deal , but in the end it was apparently. Now unemployment did inform this Monday that passed , that MTA had 48 hours left to respond . Guessing I’ll have to wait and see if anything updates this week , was suppose to update Friday if they didn’t respond.

35 minutes ago, Tokay2323 said:

Yea I was aware it being zero tolerance for no texting , phone calls and headphones. Didn’t think having a phone in my pocket was a big deal , but in the end it was apparently. Now unemployment did inform this Monday that passed , that MTA had 48 hours left to respond . Guessing I’ll have to wait and see if anything updates this week , was suppose to update Friday if they didn’t respond.

Yeah, I would just say to be prepared either way. A while back it was taking a while to process claims when people were unemployed during the height of the pandemic, even if the claims were approved. No idea what the wait times are like now.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, I would just say to be prepared either way. A while back it was taking a while to process claims when people were unemployed during the height of the pandemic, even if the claims were approved. No idea what the wait times are like now.

I’ll have to see if it updates this week , MTA had their chance to respond they had 30 days and it came down to 48 hours . So hopefully they didn’t respond