why some lirr trains skip Lynbrook?

Marco927

On middays and late evenings, some Babylon Branch trains skip the Lynbrook Station. Why? Is the railway trying to save some time? If the railway wants to save some time, why don't the trains skip one or more stations in Suffolk County with very few passengers. Lynbrook is a relative big station.

I know Manhattan-bound passengers at Lynbrook can take the Long Beach Branch trains. But what about passengers who want to travel between Lynbrook and Babylon.

Long Beach Branch trains stop at a separate platform at the Lynbrook Station. So if you are standing on the Babylon Branch platform at Lynbrook waiting for a train to Manhattan, and you see a Manhattan-bound Long Beach Branch train arriving at the Lynbrook Station (at a different platform), you won't have enough time to walk downstairs to the street and then walk upstairs to the Long Beach Branch platform. 

I don't use the Lynbrook Station. Trains skipping Lynbrook don't affect me personally. I am just curious.

A few days ago, I took a Manhattan-bound Babylon Branch train from eastern Nassau County to Manhattan, around midnight. The train skipped Lynbrook. I know some morning rush hour trains skip some stations to save time or prevent passengers boarding the trains in eastern Nassau County to take all the seats so passengers boarding in western Nassau County don't get any seats. But why would a midnight train skip Lynbrook?

Their attitude is unfortunately that the primary focus should be on riders heading to/from Manhattan, so their logic is that a Long Beach Branch train served Lynbrook about 12 minutes prior, and therefore there is no reason for that Babylon Branch train to serve it. (That's why they have those flyers that skip Jamaica, and random stopping patterns that make no sense, though thankfully some of that will be fixed once ESA opens)

Realize that Babylon trains stopping at Lynbrook provide supplemental service.... You are talking like the Long Beach branch trains stopping at Lynbrook are the trains providing supplemental service & there's not enough Babylon trains primarily stopping there....  It is comical to implicate that Babylon trains should skip stops in Suffolk county to facilitate more of those trains stopping at Lynbrook.... I'm not sure what level of riding you think is going on b/w Lynbrook & Babylon during off peak hours, but there's not even remotely enough of that going on....

For the life of me, I will never understand why some people overrate the hell out of Lynbrook.... You are making Lynbrook out to be more than what it is.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Realize that Babylon trains stopping at Lynbrook provide supplemental service.... You are talking like the Long Beach branch trains stopping at Lynbrook are the trains providing supplemental service & there's not enough Babylon trains primarily stopping there....  It is comical to implicate that Babylon trains should skip stops in Suffolk county to facilitate more of those trains stopping at Lynbrook.... I'm not sure what level of riding you think is going on b/w Lynbrook & Babylon during off peak hours, but there's not even remotely enough of that going on....

For the life of me, I will never understand why some people overrate the hell out of Lynbrook.... You are making Lynbrook out to be more than what it is.

People always think that THEIR stop is the biggest one and they should more service. lol

Lynbrook gets almost the same amount of service as Valley Stream and Valley Stream has higher ridership than Lynbrook. However Long Beach & Babylon trains are not equally spaced out so there are periods in the day where there are huge gaps in service. With additional service coming soon that shouldn’t be an issue anymore. 

I think the point is that LIRR service patterns are not conducive to intermediate travel and/or increasing Ridership.

If someone wanted to go from Valley Stream or Lynbrook to Rockville Center, they’d have to backtrack to Jamaica and pay to cross into zone 3 the majority of the time.

If you want to go from Floral Park to Mineola or Hicksville, you have to backtrack to Jamaica and pay to cross into zone 3.

Their proposed ESA plan is a bit better with local stops and express/local transfer opportunities. 

On 11/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, bobtehpanda said:

Unfortunately, the LIRR has never cared about intra-island or reverse peak travel, unlike Metro-North, which at least doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shitty non-peak oriented service.

It took Atlantic and City Tickets for them to realize that lower fares increase ridership and revenue. Since Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, perhaps west of Jamaica should be zone 2 (Zone 1 for Manhattan Only) and they institute better fare structure especially for Brooklyn-Queens-Nassau.